PC Game prices in UK

lostforever

SasqWatch
I haven't bought many PC games lately (Scared 2 was the last game I bought)but I remember new games costing like £18 from places like Play.com, Amazon.co.uk.

Now they seem to have gone up in prices to about £25. Anyone else noticed this? When did this happen?

Another thing I noticed is that pretty much ALL the new games are priced £25 in most places online. Price fixing going on?

I haven't bought many PC games lately (Scared 2 was the last game I bought)but I remember new games costing like £18 from places like Play.com, Amazon.co.uk.

Now they seem to have gone up in prices to about £25. Anyone else noticed this? When did this happen?

Another thing I noticed is that pretty much ALL the new games are priced £25 in most places online. Price fixing going on?

May be the price for the games is stable, but the price of the £ is not? You might want to compare the prices in € for those games, which have not changed so much.

Yep, I think this may be due to the pound and the fact that it is way cheaper for many Europeans (like me in Germany) to order from the UK. I usually prefer to play the original version of games so I order almost all of my games from Play.com. New games are usually EUR 32.49 - 35.49 on Play.com including S&H, even to the European mainland. That's just completely awesome! If I order from Amazon.de or go to a store here then I usually have to spend between EUR 44.95 and 49.95 on a new game.
So I'd guess that maybe they raised the prices a little in the UK to close or at least narrow the gap towards Euro pricing.

Anything higher than about €34 or $50 or £30 is nuts. I recently read that pretty much all new games cost $59 nowadays. $10 more than before. Now, $10 is not a whole lot of money in itself and some games may even be worth twice as much in the long run, but a line has to be drawn *somewhere*.

Somehow it's become a new standard. The problem then is not only that it's too much and that nobody really complained — it's also that if some publisher decided to offer a game for less, users would think it's a budget title and thus not good enough. That's screwed up.

I'll stick to bargain bins and other cheaper places, even if it means I can't always play games as soon as they come out.

When I was smaller and the € wasn't there I remember some new games costing close to 2000 Belgian Franks which at the time the € came was 40 franks for a € so games seemed to have gone down in price since then for me. (from 50€ to ~40)

Or I'm just completely crazy and my memory isn't very good.

Yes in Belgium it was around 50 euro at the time for the new 'blockbuster' games.
Nowadays it believe it is even around 60-70 euro for playstation 3 games (didn't check it for a while now, might be wrong).

I mean 34 euro is cheap nuts, only the gold/platinum series, GOTY (or 30-year old games) etc. are around 34 euro.

ps: in-store, not some online shop.

The current newer games i see here in Germany in electronics chains are usually around 40 Euros ... 44 for Venetica, I've seen not long ago ...

In Berlin, where I was for the last 2 weeks, I saw in the famous KaDeWe (which does import English versions) King's Bounty in English for 20 Euros ... The prices here are usually still around 29-30, I have seen it only once für 20 in the "Kaufhof" at Berlin, Alexanderplatz.
So the English version was still a little bit cheaper than the German-language version, overall.

By the way, does anyone know whether it is safe to order an English game at Amazon UK for delivery here to Germany ? I'm still wanting the updated versions of Neverend and of Gods - Lands Of Infinity ...

Thanks, but I have the weird policy of currently buying only from ebay Germany. ;p

Edit : Found one on ebay Germany ... Seller wants 20 Euros ... I think I'll ask him for less ...

But since he's the only one selling it on ebay Germany, he has some kind of Monopoly ...

I think that tended to be for games which had poor marketing campaigns or that weren't heavily promoted?. I remember it as well though. You are right. Also more common for games which were kinda niche PC exclusives (not XBOX 360) released from less well know publishers / developers - like STALKER?. I think with dual releases they do not go any lower now (eg Risen). Also maybe PC sales were slow for a period?

Back
Top Bottom