Obsidian Entertainment - Tim Cain Joins?

What I want to know is: Who owns the rights to Arcanum? Could Tim Cain possibly bring the IP to Obsidian and work on Arcanum 2?

Doing so with the Onyx engine would be simply fantastic. Arcanum is still an all time favourite of mine.

The day Obsidian announces that Tim Cain is indeed working on Arcanum 2, I will cry tears of joy. Or get an erection. Maybe both.

Edit: Looked it up. It seems Activision owns Arcanum. In other words, we might as well forget that idea. Ah well.

Last edited:
crpgnut, you're entire rant is disgusting and juvenile. I really can not believe in this day and age hateful trash like you even exist. The fact that you say you won't even notice proves that you are a coward and have to inability to back up your absurd comment.

"To the gay supporters at the Watch: Sorry, not all of us are homo-lovers. Feel free to spout your condemnation of my homo-cidal tendencies. I won't mind. I probably won't even notice!" That's coward talk right there. Get out.

There are a lot more gay haters out there than you might think. The same goes for racial hatred. We are still really far from being a fully open minded society (if we ever will).

Let's keep on topic, please. This is the news section not P&R or even Off Topic. People can let their freak flags fly in those sections (to a certain extent), but let's leave this one to just gaming news.

K thx.

Do you think this news has something to do with

Chris Avellone's recent tweet

By "more RPGs with their own engine" is he talking about the Onyx engine or something else?

The Onyx engine was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the statement. At the time I did not know about Cain joining Obsidian, but there might just be a connection.

He's most likely talking about the Onyx Engine, he's basically saying that their upcoming games whatever they are will be doing with their own inhouse engine (ie. Onyx).

Which makes sense of course, since they've expressed several time the issues that came by crafting games on other studios' engines.

-Sergorn

He's most likely talking about the Onyx Engine, he's basically saying that their upcoming games whatever they are will be doing with their own inhouse engine (ie. Onyx).

Which makes sense of course, since they've expressed several time the issues that came by crafting games on other studios' engines.

-Sergorn

Was the Onyx engine developed for Dungeon Siege III? I haven't played the game, but it doesn't resemble an RPG at all based on the gameplay footage I've seen.

I certainly hope the Onyx engine is flexible enough to make an open world RPG.

Yeah Aliens Crucible was the first game for which Onyx was being used, and it was nothing like Dungeon Siege III (Aliens was a 3rd person RPG, very akin to Mass Effect).

Also considering DSIII is basically seamless, albeit linear, I'd think the engine could most likely handle a seamless open world.

-Sergorn

Hiring Tim Cain as a senior programmer seems more like a waste of talent to me. He is a great designer, a visionary better fit for leading projects. Obsidian's new direction (using console oriented Onyx engine and creating action focused games) doesn't leave much for the likes of Cain and his visions.

Hiring Tim Cain as a senior programmer seems more like a waste of talent to me. He is a great designer, a visionary better fit for leading projects. Obsidian's new direction (using console oriented Onyx engine and creating action focused games) doesn't leave much for the likes of Cain and his visions.

As far as I know, Tim Cain has always worked as a programmer. He just does designing and stuff in addition to the programming.

What does his talent have to do with an engine when, of what I understand, we don't even know its capabilities yet? Plus I really doubt that his job title is an accurate description of his responsibilities in any future games.

Wutt? What is your indictation of "Obsidian's new direction"? DS3? Woha! Since when is 1 game an indication for a new direction? Was DA:O an indication for a new direction for Bioware? Was MotB an indication for Obsidian to go a permant PS:T route?

This is major BS - Obsidian will make whatever game the publishers want them to do, as long as it pays the rent. They are freelancers, mercenaries, sellswords - and our last hope for quality products.

Personally I felt it deviated too much from the originals and felt very consolized. Weak skill tree
Ah, how time can cloud the memory... Let me remind you that Dungeon Siege didn't have a skill tree (or any control over character development) at all. You just got better in a combat style you used. It also had health regen, and hard difficulty was as easy as easy difficulty in most games even when you went at it with only half a party. Basically the only saving grace of the game was its technical execution, especially the awesome engine. For some reason the gaming press loved it though and it sold like crazy.

This is major BS - Obsidian will make whatever game the publishers want them to do, as long as it pays the rent. They are freelancers, mercenaries, sellswords - and our last hope for quality products.

Yes, exactly. Square wanted a quick console job, so that's what they got. Doesn't prove anything one way or the other.

Nice to see the quick action taken on the off topic post. This just proves Rpg watch is the premier rpg news site on the net. Why would someone think we care what they think about gays anyway in a rpg news snippet?? *boggle*

I don't read this site to hear idiotic and crazed rants on unrelated subjects, which is why I stay out of any political forums here.

Now the rants on the state of rpgs today are a totally different matter... bring them on! *grins*

Wutt? What is your indictation of "Obsidian's new direction"? DS3? Woha! Since when is 1 game an indication for a new direction? Was DA:O an indication for a new direction for Bioware? Was MotB an indication for Obsidian to go a permant PS:T route?

Take it easy dude.
For your information, DS3 is not Obsidian's only console/action oriented game. Aliens RPG (another Onyx based game) was an action oriented game, more in the veins of System Shock and BioShock than a true RPG. Alpha Protocol, a Deus Ex/Mass Effect rip off, is another 'fine' example of how low they would go (obviously, I'm not talking about bugs, I'm talking about action oriented game-play and shallow RPG elements).
All of Obsidian's recent games have been heavily action oriented and focused on the console market. Onyx, their latest attempt at entering the console market, is a console based engine, which means Onyx games are made for the current generation consoles first and ported to the PC later. Whether you like it or not, the market is going down in that direction and Obsidian seems all too eager to follow.
An DA:O was the perfect indication for Bioware's new direction, if you compare it with BG and NWN.

Aliens RPG (another Onyx based game) was an action oriented game, more in the veins of System Shock and BioShock than a true RPG.

Where do you get that from? I'm not saying it isn't true, I just never heard any comparisons between Aliens RPG and the Shock games previously. I wasn't under the impression that it was going to be a first-person game.

Back
Top Bottom