Witcher 3 - EGX 2014 Developer Session

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Hee is a new video from CD Projekt at EGX 2014 giving a new Developer Session for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Thank you danutz_plusplus for the link.

Using the latest video and gameplay stills, CD Projekt's Damien Monnier presents the various mechanics which combine to create the living and breathing world of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
More information.

I'm getting really excited about the Witcher 3, but, as I said in another thread. it's turning out to be really ambitious. I didn't know about this information-spreading mechanic in which actions you do get spread across the world. If I'm not mistaken, this is something Gothic 3 was originally rumored to do, but it turned out in a very systemic and non-organic way.

I hope it turns out good, and that they don't bite off more they can chew. And again, why are they always showing only recordings? I've not seen any piece of hands-on live gameplay. It seems kind of weird for them to come to something like this with snippets of recordings. Maybe it's because they don't want to risk bringing their build version into the open?

Anyways, 5 more months until we get our hands on it. I'm gonna upgrade my system right around when it launches. Hopefully, any new graphics hardware will have been released, and older generation hardware will have been pushed down price-wise.

Yes, can CD Projekt live up to the expectations they are creating? There is a fine line between marketing and over-hyping. I sincerely hope that they know the difference.

Yes indeed, this does remind me of Gothic 3 in terms of ambitions. There is a major difference though: PB has always been dependant on publishers. I don't actually blame JoWood for Gothic 3, as the release date got pushed quite a few times due to the crazy ambitions, but CDP can pretty much ignore all that and release it when it's ready. Even if it costs a fortune to make..

That's true but, despite getting some serious funding, CDP is still no match (financially) for the big boys of the CGs industry. They have one or, including Cyberpunk 2077, maybe two shots at the stardom.

The people from CDP look like they know what they are doing. I would not worry to much about their moves. Even if the gaming industry is a vortex of competition, money hoarding and even backstabbing if needed. Usually the gamers get backstabbed(read bad ports for PC).
Although, lately it's more a hype for W3 which I dislike. It seems like they aiming too high. Anyway, the game is probably going to be pretty good. But maybe few people will expect more of the game than it already is. Hyping is not always to good.

And again, why are they always showing only recordings? I've not seen any piece of hands-on live gameplay. It seems kind of weird for them to come to something like this with snippets of recordings. Maybe it's because they don't want to risk bringing their build version into the open?

Huh ? There have been dozens of live demonstrations. They released 35 minute long demo to public in direct feed 1080p too.

Hype aside, if any company out there deliver on what they promise it would be CD Projekt. They have been giving fan's of the Witcher games more than another company ever has. Free upgrades even years after etc.

I know we still have to wait and see what the finial product.

It seems like they aiming too high. Anyway, the game is probably going to be pretty good. But maybe few people will expect more of the game than it already is. Hyping is not always to good.
And that was my point.

It seems like they aiming too high..

I would rather see them aim higher than any other company out there and fail then give us another cookie cutter game that offers nothing new or exciting.

How else can you push what a game can give us if they don't aim high?

Last edited:
Huh ? There have been dozens of live demonstrations. They released 35 minute long demo to public in direct feed 1080p too.

I believe he was talking about people not working for CD Projekt playing the game. Watching someone else playing and actually playing the game is two different things.

I believe he was talking about people not working for CD Projekt playing the game. Watching someone else playing and actually playing the game is two different things.

Oh right. That is true, afaik they haven't let public go hands on with the game yet.

I've always liked CD Projekt. I purchased both Witcher 1 & 2, including each game's 'director's cut' when those were released, just to support them. But neither Witcher 1 or 2 grabbed me and I've only put a handful of hours into both games combined.

Still, I'm happy that I purchased their games because I wanted to support them for exactly the kind of game W3 is looking to be. From what I've seen and read, W3 could be the game I play to the finish.

I'm hoping my similar investment with Two Worlds series eventually yields some fruit. Two Worlds 2 Was okay, I finished that game, but hoping a 3rd in that series, if there will be one, will be more fleshed out and offer much more depth.

How else can you push what a game can give us if they don't aim high?

Shoot for the stars, I always say. And yes, making progress, moving forward is when one is willing to go beyond the boundaries.

Of course they are going to push their product and show it in the best light. But there is a fine line between creative presentation of the game and annoying marketing. Which is the zone of the hype.
The game is going to be a success, hell, it already is. It haves the right attention. The attention that it deserves. Does it need to be pushed even more?
Anyway, I am hyped about it, and want to play the closing story of Geralt. ;)

1.0x0.jpg

Glad CD Projekt has never borrowed this set from some other company that might rhyme with BIOWARE.

Last edited:
I've always liked CD Projekt. I purchased both Witcher 1 & 2, including each game's 'director's cut' when those were released, just to support them. But neither Witcher 1 or 2 grabbed me and I've only put a handful of hours into both games combined.

Still, I'm happy that I purchased their games because I wanted to support them for exactly the kind of game W3 is looking to be. From what I've seen and read, W3 could be the game I play to the finish.

I'm hoping my similar investment with Two Worlds series eventually yields some fruit. Two Worlds 2 Was okay, I finished that game, but hoping a 3rd in that series, if there will be one, will be more fleshed out and offer much more depth.

They are almost done with Raven's Cry so maybe they will do Two Worlds 3 next.

Back
Top Bottom