Elite Systems - Retro RPGs Coming to iOS

skavenhorde I'm sure that if there's a chance for a game to work you would be able to figure it out without much hassle. I'm not certain however if the same is true for the average user of any of today's systems. For example, you say editing the autoexec.bat wasn't a big deal? Well… it wasn't for me either, but I am a geek. Do you expect that the average iOS user would even bother learning his way around DOS?

You've got a good point here, and it echoes what others have been mentioning. It's simple enough (for me, anyway) to open up a file and edit it manually to get something to work, but by today's standards most people don't want to put up with that, because requiring the user to understand and work with the app - rather than just watch - is a another story entirely. They want something that works right off the bat, with a quick and easy setup where they wouldn't have to push more than a couple buttons.

Back then (and even now, 95% of the time), I hardly ever encountered problems. I think every game I played in the 90s on my PC installed (and played) the way it was meant to. Occasionally my PC would have problems handling newer, flashier games (such as lack of RAM), but nothing that I'm not dealing with already.

Apple (specifically Steve Jobs) grabbed the market when he capitalized on most of the population's desire for simplicity.

Are you sure we are talking about the same Starflight. CDs weren't around back then. Hell I think they only had 5.25 back then. Maybe 3.5, but I doubt it.

CD drives pre-date StarFlight. But I got one for my PC after I had been playing StarFlight for a while. Because the driver for it used some memory it screwed up the scheme StarFlight used to save games.

It would also goof up if you for instance added more memory to the PC.

Not sure if I'm interested as I've played a few ports on my iPod Touch and they generally sucked. Did they get the source code and rewrite the app or is this and emulation layer? Wasteland was great but it was still in the era when a majority of the text was supplied via an external manual if I recall correctly. I don't really want to lookup journal #17 outside of the game these days or deal with weird interfaces because the game wasn't designed for touch.

Regarding Android vs iOS, I have both and have preferred the iPod Touch over my rooted Nook Color for many things. I realize that I'm asking the Nook to do things it was not intended for but its touch detection is horrible. Whenever I'm browsing the web (using the default browser) he never detects links I'm clicking on correctly. Rampant Coyote makes some good points on piracy as well.

Back
Top Bottom