Gothic 3 Gothic 3 after The Witcher.

Acleacius

SasqWatch
Well, seems I have lots of trouble with bugs in The Witcher, but one thing everyone agrees on is the very annoying constant loading screens and there imo is no better relief than Gothic 3. :)

Wow what a relief and a huge difference it makes not wasting your time/life on loading screens, just makes me appreciate G3 even more than I all ready do, plus the new 1.5 community patch is said to fix many broken issues like Perks.

Funny, since loading times were what made me stop playing G3 (sad, since I love the series), while I have no problems with them in The Witcher :). And that's with 3 GBs of RAM. Gothic 3 seems not to like it, even after proper patching.

The loading of zones in G3 are engine related and cannot be avoided no matter the amount of your RAM. That said, you can bring them down to a minimum and they only get really annoying when you are in the middle of a fight. Loading times in The Witcher are not bad at all but the problem is that in some areas loading is very frequent.

Sorry for being unclear - when talking about G3 I meant the loading times you need to endure when loading a savegame. Increasing my RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB only marginally improved them. And while I have only restored the game a few times in The Witcher, it happened to me frequently in G3. Every quickload meant about a minute wasted. Too much for me.

Oh yeah, loading a savegame in G3 takes a huge amount of time, it's the price to pay for loading the whole gameword into memory at once. I remember at the BBC days you could buy the more demanding programs as ROM sticks. It is possible to build a PC with 16 gigs and run a demanding program from a RAM drive, I suspect this will become the norm in the future.

Iirc, the long load times would be more due to cpu and graphics card memory, RAM would help load the zones quicker or turning down the Detail of Textures.

I know what you mean, when it was originally released it took about 25% to 50% longer due to the copy protection and may have been the longest loading Saves in history of games, heh. :)

It's true The Witcher load times aren't nearly as long, I am just the type that likes to explore everywhere, so that means 100s of loading screens where as in Gothic it takes about 1 to 2 minutes to load a Save and then no more which I really appreciate atm, as I need to build up a little more tolerance before jumping back in to try to finish. ;)

Heck it might be even better to wait and start again (can't believe I just said that :) ) with the new patch in a week.

The Witcher 1.2 patch, err well I am guessing it will be called 1.2.

Back
Top Bottom