NCSoft sued over Lineage II being too addidictive

I agree with that, Dartagnan. As Nietzsche said, you can't discover anything about the world with your head cut off (I'm paraphrasing). Any attempt to discover truth always has to go through human perception. Science is just an attempt to remove some of the biases of that perception, but it is by no means perfect nor should it be some kind of sole arbiter of truth.

By the way, the question that interests me, in light of all the research, is whether playing a videogame produces the same sort of dopamine spikes in the VTA and NA that drugs of abuse do. Everything pleasurable produces some increases here, but you need the big spikes to get a real addiction going.

Personally, I've never found video games that fun. I am interested and engaged in them, but they don't compare to sex or drugs, in terms of their ability to produce pleasure. So I am skeptical about how well the research on drugs translates to videogaming "addiction." I'm not sure they're on the same level, and I suspect videogames produce much less potent spikes than drugs do and so are much less subject to addiction, or the addiction is easier to overcome with voluntary willpower, than in traditional addictions.

I sometimes wonder if calling someone who plays WoW 8 hours a day an "addict" is really doing a disservice to the real addicts. Not sure about that one. I've seen people who've messed their lives up pretty good by getting "hooked" on an MMO (and it does seem to be MMOs, usually).

What kind of drugs are we talking about? ;)

Mj has been my favorite, and alcohol too. Experimentation with other stuff like cocaine and mushrooms, maybe some speed. Never any benzos or opioids.

Back
Top Bottom