Starcraft 2 - is the pricing fair?

Remus

Antihero
Do you think the pricing of standard and collector's editions of the game too expensive? I don't remember particularly expensive pc games in recent years - except the Modern Warfare 2 - which i didn't buy it due to expensive price.

http://us.starcraft2.com/features/collector/

The collector edition seems like a good deal with soundtrack and exclusive pet unit, while other not really interesting. The thumb drive is nice but only 2 GB?

$60 for the game, $99 for the collectors. The collectors price is high, but there's a lot of stuff in there, so I don't know that it's completely out of line. $60 is higher than usual, but it's not the first game to come out at that price. A few much-anticipated titles have crossed the sacred $50 barrier now.

60€ for the actual game? God drat Activision greedyness at work again.

60€ for the actual game? God drat Activision greedyness at work again.

$60=45 euro. Which just happens to be what we usually pay for a new game in Sweden (399 is a common prize, which is $54 and 41 euro).

Übereil

A retailer in Norway lists it for 58$, which is actually somewhat cheaper that some other new releases like Metro 2033.

$60=45 euro. Which just happens to be what we usually pay for a new game in Sweden (399 is a common prize, which is $54 and 41 euro).

Übereil
Good point. Hmm, maybe I'll get the collectors edition and sell the pet on ebay.

Does anyone actually know what the release date is? Just looked at buying it from three sites and one says 30th April, another 28th June and another says no word on release dates yet.

Absolutely normal price for the standard edition. The people in NA are only spoiled by the incredibly low price they usually pay for games. ;)

A bit more serious - just wait a couple of weeks. I bet within 3 weeks you'll see it on sale somewhere for a normal price.

Much content? I thought they had split SC2 into 3 games. ;)

A bit more serious - just wait a couple of weeks. I bet within 3 weeks you'll see it on sale somewhere for a normal price.

Yeah, right, early adopters usually pay more.

Around November I bought a CD for my father as a birthday presend - about 16 Euros (was a double CD). Now, the price is around 8 Euros. I know it, because I've bought it much later for myself, too. ;)

Much content? I thought they had split SC2 into 3 games. ;)

I'm talking about the game-time and content I will drain out of it. Singleplayer campaign, endless Multiplayer match-ups thanks to their awesome match-making system, and endless possibilities for mods and the like thanks to their editor. I can't wait to see what the community will create for us. :D

Seems pretty fair to me.

But you can never really know if it's fair, until after you're done with the game - so, who knows.

Let's not forget, it's $60 for only 1 faction. I'm not sure how much it'll be for the other 2 factions, but we may be looking at the most expensive game this side of the MMO fence.

So it's rather an MP game with SP rather tacked on ?

So it's rather an MP game with SP rather tacked on ?

No way. The singleplayer campaign is easily the most epic RTS campaign you will find imo. Besides the missions themselves, some of which are optional, others you probably will miss on your first playthrough, depending on what you do in them, they also built some other game mechanics. Researching technology that is persistent throughout your campaign, buying upgrades/units/etc with currency you gather/find/collect in your missions; And my favorite is the adventure-style gameplay. After and before every RTS-style mission you get to play around in an adventure-style environment, talk to NPCs, interact with different stuff, etc.

Even if the first installment focuses on just the Terrans, and it will be pretty much as big as the whole of SC1, without Brood War, at least that's what Blizzard is saying, it will be bigger in size than most RTSs. (*yes, I'm looking at you Dawn of War*). :p

AFAIK all factions are present and playable. Only the campaign is one-sided, but if the content is enough for a meaty singleplayer game, I find the complaints irrational.

I think Bliz messed up BIGTIME with how they've evolved (looking at WoW specifically), but I'll be surprised if Starcraft 2 isn't a quality game all the same.

I expect to see the first negative consequences of "The new Bliz" with Diablo 3.

I hope I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom