Fable 2 - A SimRPG @ Twenty Sided

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Shamus Young turns his attention to Fable II as his next "review":
Fable 2 is a Sim RPG. I don’t mean it feels like an RPG with Sim elements in it. I mean it feels like a simulation of an RPG, with all the rich details abstracted away into clockwork game mechanics. Character development, morality, love, style, fame, personal attraction: These are all just numbers expressed in sliders. Love and hate are expressed with all the depth and passion of adjusting the gamma on your display. The story rolls forward like a chattering sprocket, ticking off plot points cribbed from “Generic Fantasy for Dummies”. The central characters are plodding one-note ciphers, and the rest are generic interchangeable classics like “town guard”, “peasant”, and “aristocrat”.
More information.

... and yet the game is still pretty fun. Not Ultima VII fun, but still, fun in it's own right.

While I don't necessarily disagree with the reviewer's comments, his rant is a little heavy handed. Probably swats flies with a sledgehammer too.

The game has the most robust farting and belching simulation ever offered in a big-budget game. This is either a compelling feature or an act of madness, depending on how much you’ve wanted to do that sort of thing in an RPG.

Heh heh heh.

... and yet the game is still pretty fun. Not Ultima VII fun, but still, fun in it's own right.

While I don't necessarily disagree with the reviewer's comments, his rant is a little heavy handed. Probably swats flies with a sledgehammer too.

I know - but that is him. He makes the points about the various parts, which reminds me of a 'discussion review' I just did with someone else about 'Mirrors Edge'.

Back
Top Bottom