What are you reading?

Reading Ambercrombie's "The Blade Itself". Based on the first 200 pages that I've read so far, I'll be getting the 2nd book asap!!!

-Carn

I advise you to buy the second and the third book together. You'll save time. One of the best books, i have ever read.

thanks for letting me know. I jsut bought [A Memory of Light]. The last time I checked it was due in March even though it was finished (but unedited) a year ago. Its not getting great reviews.
Looking at the reviews at amazon … that's what I'd call polarizing: 161 five-stars, 189 1-star reviews, 28 in between. Well, I'll keep an open mind. I even liked the books that were bashed before (books 9 and 10?) so I'm not too worried. I'll wait for the ebook version though.

edit: it seems the missing ebook version is the reason for most if not all of the 1 star reviews (people are protesting).

Last edited:
Continued reading The Dosadi Experiment on my brand new Kindle Paperwhite. :) Should have gotten an E-Reader a long time ago. So far I like it a lot.

Question to Kindle users: Is there a way to organize books on the device better than with the default UI? It only lets you sort by title or author and only lets you define a single "collection" (tag). I can't sort by filename and I can't use subcollections. On my phone I was used to sort books into category / series / #index-title-author (example: Fantasy / Midkemia / 18 - Jimmy the Hand - Raymond E. Feist. No good on this device. Or am I missing something? Right now it's a real mess. And most of my books are part of series.

I'm using Calibre to organize my library and convert between formats.

edit: Found out about the plugboard feature in Calibre. That will do.

Last edited:
The Dosadi Experiment was nice, especially the second half. The themes reminded me a bit too much of Dune though.

Next up is standard fantasy again, probably Golden Fool, second book in Robin Hobb's Tawny Man Trilogy. I considered picking up Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind but decided to finish some other trilogies before I start with anything new.

Currently reading through The Spooks Apprentice books by Joseph Delaney. I'm a little older than the target audience(like twice as old I guess), but I'm having a lot of fun with them. Sometime a light read is what I want =)

Just finished Pronto by Elmore Leonard. Never read anything by him save for a brief attempt at Be Cool, which I just couldn't get into. Maybe I'll try again starting with Get Shorty.

Pronto has the protagonist from the TV series Justified-- Raylan Givens -- in it. I didn't care for the show when I watched it, but the book was enjoyable. Will read more from him.

A buddy of mine just relinquished his entire half-collection of the Wheel of Time.
I had another friend who read the hell out of the first couple but couldnt get far enough into the series, it seems like a big crazy story to digest, but ill definitely be diving into those. I only tend to read books that im at least 90% sure ill like, but then again, anyone can get wrapped up in a good story, with or without a favorite setting or theme being there.
And what are these faint whispers of ANOTHER Wheel of Time book? Like after Towers of Midnight?
Fantastico :p

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green ... and I can tell why it made a number of 'top books of 2012' lists. It has cancer running throughout but is not a 'cancer book', the characters are all reasonable and 3-dimensional, and there is plenty to care about ... well worth my money and time.

A buddy of mine just relinquished his entire half-collection of the Wheel of Time.
I had another friend who read the hell out of the first couple but couldnt get far enough into the series, it seems like a big crazy story to digest, but ill definitely be diving into those. I only tend to read books that im at least 90% sure ill like, but then again, anyone can get wrapped up in a good story, with or without a favorite setting or theme being there.
And what are these faint whispers of ANOTHER Wheel of Time book? Like after Towers of Midnight?
Fantastico :p

Memory of Light - or Book 13 as most of us prefer. I'm about 40% through it.

Its really a good series, minus the first book, then peeking at #5. At that point he really, really drags it out..to death. (he says after he glided over and saluted first to heart so tight his knuckles whited). My favourite characters are the Whitecloaks. They seem to have the right mindset.

I rarely read books - but I'm listening to Ender's Game on audiobook. I think I'm close to halfway - and it's not bad. Like my experience with nearly all books - there's a lot of padding that I'm not sure needs to be there, but I like the general concept so far.

I tend to listen to audiobooks for ~30-60 minutes before going to sleep, so a lot of the time I miss parts because I'm too sleepy to pay full attention. Pretty stupid if you want a complete experience - but since most books fail to grab me anyway, I figure it's a decent compromise.

I don't think I've missed too much of this one, so that's a good sign :)

currently half way through David Brin's "the Postman", absolutely one of the better post apocalyptic books i've read. fairly fast past writing and good story.
right up there with "earth abides".

currently half way through David Brin's "the Postman", absolutely one of the better post apocalyptic books i've read. fairly fast past writing and good story.
right up there with "earth abides".

Always on the lookout for a good post-apoc book. Is it at least better than the film?

In terms of this genre my favorite has been The Stand, followed by the majority of Alas, Babylon (the end was ham-handedly resolved in a matter of about 2 pages). Swan Song was good too, imo as well as Lucifer's Hammer. Read Earth Abides and didn't care for it so much, maybe because the protagonist was unlikeable.

I advise you to buy the second and the third book together. You'll save time. One of the best books, i have ever read.

I agree. This was the first fantasy book I had read in about 20 years and I loved the series as well as Best Served Cold.

I just completed Wheel of time 14: A Memory of Light. I won't spoil anything, but it's definitely one of those "hard to put down" books. I ended up reading 900 pages in 3 days, which is something I normally never do.

Now I feel somewhat.. empty. It's actually over, after all these years. I'll probably need a few days to wrap my head around that fact.

Always on the lookout for a good post-apoc book. Is it at least better than the film?

In terms of this genre my favorite has been The Stand, followed by the majority of Alas, Babylon (the end was ham-handedly resolved in a matter of about 2 pages). Swan Song was good too, imo as well as Lucifer's Hammer. Read Earth Abides and didn't care for it so much, maybe because the protagonist was unlikeable.

yeah the film is some kevin costner crap right :D the book is waay better. the stand is probably my fave as well. im reading 'alas, babylon' next. also 'i am legend' which is supposed to be good (and different from the movie). swan song was pretty good, a bit too simple 'good vs evil' in some ways. havent read lucifers hammer yet.
picked up 'dies the fire' a while ago but was put off fairly quickly. a bit to 'rpg-nerdy' for my book taste with bows and arrows, samurai swords etc.

read 'a canticle for liebowitz' not too long ago. started out very promising with fallout shelter and everything, but turned out to be very dragged out and all about preserving books in a monastary and the wonders of a light bulb. jumping ahead in time, switching the main character 3 times didnt help either..

and finally i recently read 'metro 2033' which imo wasnt that good either. basicly no character development, and constantly moving to new locations made it hard to feel anything at all about the characters or places.

oh, and i assume you've read 'the road', great book..

I just completed Wheel of time 14: A Memory of Light. I won't spoil anything, but it's definitely one of those "hard to put down" books. I ended up reading 900 pages in 3 days, which is something I normally never do.

Now I feel somewhat.. empty. It's actually over, after all these years. I'll probably need a few days to wrap my head around that fact.

I just logged in to post almost the exact same thing. This is an amazing book; much better than the previous two. The only issues I had was the clunky and awkward language he used. Sanderson switches back and forth between the passive passed participle (leaped instead of leapt - RJ always used the former) and the ridiculous use of the politically correct "humankind". I was pleased when I found a "mankind" that his copy and paste missed.

But it is an amazing book. It wraps almost everything up - everything that was important - and we understood the characters motivations a lot better than from wherever else I read about them. There were a lot of surprises and revelations too, and not just on who killed Asmodeon.

I think I had more invested in this than most people. A built a NWN server based on this series, as many people already know, and I immersed myself in this lore for the better part of 6 years. This really is the last piece of the puzzle.

This is an amazing book; much better than the previous two.
April will come … April will come … :meditate:

I guess I'll ease the wait by getting New Spring, which I think I haven't read yet (!).

Right now, however, I'm still busy with the Tawny Man trilogy. Boy, he's got problems. Procrastinating through life like that… Fitz should really watch the movie "Yes Man". Still, even though at some points the story feels like a slice of life in a medieval setting rather than adventure and well, fantasy, it's still a pretty fun read.

I'm researching other books, too. Has anyone read Gormenghast? It sounds utterly intriguing and it surprises me that I haven't heard of it before. Alas, so many books to read. I think I'm covered for the next couple of years.

Finished Ender's Game.

Quite underwhelming towards the end, frankly. How this ended up #1 in several places - I'll never know. Too much of it was rushed and forced - it seemed to me.

But it was a pretty interesting read for the most part, and I recommend it if you're into sci-fi.

Back
Top Bottom