Gamasutra - Top 12 Games of the Decade

Dhruin

SasqWatch
As promised, Gamasutra has released their (reader voted) Top 12 Games of the Decade. As always, these lists are debatable...and particularly this one. The three RPG-ish games that make the list are Mass Effect, Deus Ex and at number one, World of Warcraft. On Mass Effect:
9. Mass Effect (Xbox 360, 2007)

This BioWare-developed spacefaring epic won fans for its complex narrative and nuanced morality system, and many eagerly await its upcoming sequel.
Anonymous: "This game had an engaging story, more-than-just-believable virtual actors, numerous distinctive classes to play as, a good to very good selection of powers/talents to use in game play, a developed and realized science fiction setting, open world elements (i.e., the uncharted planets), a brilliant use of achievements (for both the Xbox and PC) that influenced subsequent playthroughts and exciting FPS/RPG game play.
"While few of these elements were distinctive to Mass Effect, the synergy in the game play experience marks Mass Effect as groundbreaking. Truly, Mass Effect was the first science fiction movie in which I was both 'producer' and player."
Tom Toynton: "This was an incredibly deep and immersive experience beyond anything I had played before. I grew attached to many of the characters and felt like I was personally participating in an epic adventure accross the galaxy.
"The controls were fluid, the game mechanics facilitated play dynamics that supported the premise of the game, and the story and depth of even many ancilliary NPCs brought the game world alive."
Michael Kolb: "It will still be played years to come even as it had a successful launch. BioWare really created a sci-fi universe and the interaction with the consequences, like Fable II, really bring life to games along with the want for multiple playthroughs. The general public are realizing that these 'video games' are more than just shooting and have meaningful stories, characters and
More information.

That list was disappointing, predictable, and surprising all at once. :D

Really surprised Metroid Prime made the list. It deserved the spot but I was surprised it got it instead of Resident Evil 4. As much as I loved Metroid Prime for bringing Metroid into 3D without ruining what made the series work, RE 4 was just a better game with more mainstream appeal (which is why I'm surprised it didn't make the list).

I'm also surprised that none of the Zelda or Metal Gear Solid games didn't make the list.

And relieved Oblivion didn't either :)

But really, with all the great games out the last 10 years, Wii Sports???

I can think of so many games in different genres that should have gotten that spot. But really, no BG2?

As for predictable: Deus Ex, Super Mario Galaxy, GTA III, Sims, Wow.

Mass Effect didn't deserve it and most other rpgs released in the last 10 years are better. Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines should have been on that list but I understand why it wasn't with all of the bugs in the original release. I thought it was the best game even with all of the bugs.

Lists like this always need to be taken with a grain of salt. You've got to consider the intended audience and the preferences of the list makers. All that firmly in mind, this list is utter crap.

I am always at odds with lists that take in console games, because I only have PS2 & 3 and play console games VERY rarely, so most in the list from consoles are entirely unknown. A seperated listing in PC and console would make more sense imo.

As to Mass Effect, well IMVPO the first modern, epic RPG with complex characters and a grand scale of story telling was KOTOR. At least for me and on PC. Mass Effect made it maybe better, but KOTOR was the breakthrough, and its success also paved the way for SWTOR. So that would rather be my choice here. (Again, don't mix PC & consoles, it doesn't make sense.)

Deus Es as Number 2? Hm, ok it was a nice game, but I dunno if I'd say game of the decade. And the unavoidable WOW. God, can someone shut this down pls already. I am sick and tired to see this game in every damn list.

Last edited:
The list is ok in my mind. I've not played 4 on the list so I cannot judge those really. I loved Shadow of the Colossus just because of the initial wow factor I had with it.

Regarding Mass Effect, I think Baldur's Gate II should be in its place or even Dragon Age if its must be Bioware. I'd make a special exception for Planescape: Torment; even though it was technically released in mid-Dec. 1999 it was probably not considered in these types of lists at the time due to late release date.

I see Mass Effect as Bioware's 2nd Worst game ... only somewhat better than Sonic Chronicles. ;)

The biggest mistake is not doing lists for each system, now it's just a hodge podge.

ME? This is a flash back to when Halo was release, yes ME is much better but the way it's treated as some second coming on a console. As a PC game it's just a good game, with pretty good story compared to most games now days and at best, pretty average gameplay.

Storytelling in mass effect was fantastic and I also loved the ME universe that many have mentioned here. Despite all that its a medicore game at it's best. I found Gameplay in every way tedious.

Mass effect isn't really a fun game to play. I always felt uncomfortable while controlling sheppard and rest of my party. Movements were akward and clumsy. Action wasn't really that spectacular and the inventory was a big mess.

The combat also lacks strategy. Weapons didn't have much difference really. i could as easily win battles with an advanced rifle as with a simple pistol. Psionic powers and technical gadgets seemed maybe cool on paper but using them was more hassle than it was worth due to game's real time nature. Because of that I got bored soon and wished to get rid off the fight ahead as soon as possible only to see the next cutscene.

The next gigantic flaw in my opinion was how tranffering from an area to an other takes ages! Its no joke, I spent much more time looking at the various loading screens intead of playing the game! The elevator rides almost made my head explode from frustration. Its ridicilous if you begin to think how small those locations are and how long it takes from game to load them. I quess they didn't bother to hone the code much when releasing the game..

Last edited:
Mass Effect didn't deserve it and most other rpgs released in the last 10 years are better. Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines should have been on that list but I understand why it wasn't with all of the bugs in the original release. I thought it was the best game even with all of the bugs.
With the patch, it's an amazing game. Same goes for WoW which is just so damn addictively "unhealthy".

Wut? Wow…. 2nd worst? :O
Hookay, each to his, but that I can't understand at all.

Well, look at the competition:
- BG1
- BG2
- NWN
- KotOR
- Jade Empire
- Dragon Age

Mass Effect is a lousy shooter, has lousy NPC AI, terrible inventory, and a story that is decent. It isn't a *bad* game, but I see it as falling well behind the rest of those ... not the least of which because it shows that Bioware knows as much about making a 3rd person action shooter as they do about making console platformers ...

- BG1
- BG2
- NWN
- KotOR
- Jade Empire
- Dragon Age

Mass Effect is a lousy shooter, has lousy NPC AI, terrible inventory, and a story that is decent.

Ooh, I like this game :)

- BG2
- BG1
- KoToR
- Jade Empire
- Mass Effect
- NWN

I rate Baldur's Gate II a 100%, and Baldur's Gate 95%.
Kotor and JE are a solid 75 and 70%, respectively.

NWN is hard to rate. The OC was terrible but SoU was fair and HoTU was actually good. Then you have the multi-player component, persistent worlds and all the user made modules. But going by the OC alone, I'd give it a 55%.

Mass Effect had the presentation down perfectly. It had a good game world, excellent voice acting, good music, decent writing & story, and nice visuals. But it all fell apart in the gameplay area.

It's sort of the opposite of NWN which had decent gameplay but everything else was lackluster.

Still, NWN was just too tedious and dull right from the beginning. ME at least had some eye/ear candy. They're both mediocre games though and I'm surprised that Bioware is as successful as they are. It's why I haven't even picked up DA yet.

Back
Top Bottom