Dishonored - Protips from Harvey Smith

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Bethblog has posted some "pro tips" for playing Dishonored from co-creative director Harvey Smith:
Try playing the game with stealth. Sneaking, playing nonlethally, or even ghosting the missions adds even more tension and drama to situations.
Eavesdrop on unaware enemies to absorb more background information related to the world and the events unfolding around you. Sometimes eavesdropping updates your objectives. (Similarly, listen to street speaker announcements and read posted signs.)
If you use combat, don’t forget to block and counter-attack while an enemy is off-balance.
Often characters have followup lines if you hang out and listen to them (or click on them further). You’ll absorb more about the world this way.
Notes and books also add a lot of background info on the world and events.
Set your brightness so the blacks are really black. The game looks dramatically better.
More information.

"pro tips" as making it last longer then 4 hours?

Danger ! frustrating value system above ^

"pro tips" as making it last longer then 4 hours?

Haven't played it and it's not RPG, but that remind me a lot all the whining about how a RPG must be and if not in the strict rule (defined by some psychotic guys at codex) then it's crap or at least not RPG.

So non linearity, plenty choices, plenty ways to achieve goals. Nice dream but here come reality :
  • Either it's puppets game ie to fill all this space and freedom it's mostly player imagination, like when a child plays with a puppet.
  • Either it's real design and each branch, each choice require time and polishing… and now you whine it's too short. Grow up a little and think further than your non realistic dreams.

It's not an rpg it's a Action/Adventure so get over yourself guys. That's not whining that's the official label from the developers and publisher.

I'm not an completionist who has to collect every secret and getting near the end. Playtime so far 22 hrs. As stated before if you just follow the maker you will miss out on content. The game will be shorter then.

I wasn't going to buy it but a friend convinced me even after some reviews telling me I wouldn't like it. It's not game of the year or the best game made, but at least it's a solid romp through a new ip universe.

I plan on getting it eventually, probably in a Steam sale around Xmas. It sounds like it could be fun, but not at full price.

Haven't played it and it's not RPG, but that remind me a lot all the whining about how a RPG must be and if not in the strict rule (defined by some psychotic guys at codex) then it's crap or at least not RPG.

What has it to do with game length? It does seem that the brutal way to go through a game usually mean a game will last four hours...

If indeed there is such an imbalance in game lenght between two ways of playing as they are supposed to be supported, it is a game design issue, unrelated with the genre of the game...

I am probably one of those with the loosest definition of what can be called an RPG but even I would say there is zero RPG-ness in Half Life. It is about as pure a shooter as you can get. Still a great game, though.

Dishonored may end up being a bit different and hopefully it too is great.

Back
Top Bottom