Skyrim Skyrim Ships 10 millionth retail copy,also "fastest-selling title in Steam's history"

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Have you played "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines"? It is one of my favourite RPGs. It has a Vampire theme AND a part of the game is set in Chinatown (i.e. Asian theme)..…AND it is created by the creators of Fallout, so what more do you want? :)

Yes I did play VtMB and there aren't enough games like this.

Huh? Where is this plethora of post-apocalyptic games you're refering to? It certainly doesn't involve the RPG genre.

Fallout series (old and new), Boarderlands, STALKER series to name a few. Just look in the Steam library and you will see a good amount of wasteland themed games.

So let's just leave well enough alone or start a pirate thread if you want to discuss this further. Other than that then talk about 10million Skyrims sold. Deal? Good.

I want pirates in an expansion, not! Pirates are like vampires in my opinion. Pirates of the Carribean did for pirates, what the Twighlight books/films did for vampires. I almost stopped going to bookstores, since most fantasy books are full of vamps/undead instead of my beloved mages (Pug, Milamber, Belgarion, Gandalf, etc). On the other hand, I loved the comic where all the Skyrim vampires were mooning over Bella :D

BTW, do we want a Fallout 4? I know it is inevitable, but I start to feel that the setting has run its course, a bit. I could dig a kinda prequel, though (survival just a few weeks after the war). Or a setting on a different continent. A change of scenery and pace, anyways. How do you guys feel?

Well I do and those are fighting words. There are plenty of settings and locations left to explore. Seriously though Bethesda might end up losing the license to fallout. Read the news on there court battle with interplay. It would be a shame if it happens.

Fallout series (old and new), Boarderlands, STALKER series to name a few. Just look in the Steam library and you will see a good amount of wasteland themed games.

I believe he said rpgs so only fallout qualifies. People say the same about military fps being stale but there still selling like crazy.

Yes I did play VtMB and there aren't enough games like this.

Too bad Troika went down.

If you are really thirsty for a Vampire RPG, you might be interested in following the development of Bloodlust, which is an Indie Vampire RPG whose existence I discovered recently at RPGCodex. Here is a link to the website.

Not in the RPG section though. There have only been four Fallout RPGs over a 15 year period. Borderlands isn't really post-ap, and STALKER, despite being a great game, isn't an RPG.

Not in the RPG section though. There have only been four Fallout RPGs over a 15 year period. Borderlands isn't really post-ap, and STALKER, despite being a great game, isn't an RPG.

Compared to rpgs like VtBM, wasteland games are plenty. Moreover, it is also nice to see new locations, more colours and more varied stories from different cultures.

Compared to rpgs like VtBM, wasteland games are plenty. Moreover, it is also nice to see new locations, more colours and more varied stories from different cultures.

Compared to VtM:B, any genre looks plentiful.

I'd love to see a sequel to Bloodlines, but only if it was a worthy successor, and I think the odds of that happening are slim to none.

Am I the only one fearing the direction that Bethesda will take in Fallout 4?

In my case I very much welcome the impact Skyrim will have on FO4 development.

I really hope that Obsidian gets Fallout 4 but I doubt it.

That seems practically impossible at this point as Bethesda has already commenced Fallout 4 development. Also Beth has confirmed FO4 will use the Creation Engine and meanwhile Chris Avellone tweeted that Obsidian is working on a few new RPGs using the Onyx Engine (one of which is the South Park game, of course).

BTW, do we want a Fallout 4?

Absolutely! Massive fan of the PA genre here.

Seriously though Bethesda might end up losing the license to fallout. Read the news on there court battle with interplay. It would be a shame if it happens.

It's one thing to win a judgement in your favor with this type of trademark dispute (which is still probably years away from being resolved) and it would be something else entirely for Interplay to pursue and obtain an injunction against Bethesda under Maryland law. The bar is usually set quite high for injunctions, which is partly to blame for Beth's difficulties obtaining an injunction for Interplay's Fallout MMO.

It's also a safe bet that the agreements signed between Interplay and Zenimax limit any remedies in favor of the seller of the marks (Interplay) to liquidated damages with an express waiver of injunctive relief.

Last edited:
It's one thing to win a judgement in your favor with this type of trademark dispute (which is still probably years away from being resolved) and it would be something else entirely for Interplay to pursue and obtain an injunction against Bethesda under Maryland law. The bar is usually set quite high for injunctions, which is partly to blame for Beth's difficulties obtaining an injunction for Interplay's Fallout MMO.

It's also a safe bet that the agreements signed between Interplay and Zenimax limit any remedies in favor of the seller of the marks (Interplay) to liquidated damages with an express waiver of injunctive relief.

Well stranger things have happened.;)

Seriously though I don't know who to support in the case. Both sides are being dicks but with more info coming out it looks like Bethesda is in the wrong. It wouldn't surprise me since Zenimax who owns them sues people for using the word scrolls in a game title.

It all depends on the contract and we don't know what it entitles or says. There are many loop holes in every contract. Of course having more money and better lawyers helps.

It all depends on the contract and we don't know what it entitles or says. There are many loop holes in every contract. Of course having more money and better lawyers helps.

This is certainly true; however, my guess is that even if Interplay were to win every single legal proceeding relating to the Fallout IP, the best they could hope for would probably be simply more money from Bethesda and perhaps some right to continue to develop their Fallout MMO.

I hope this means that the next elder scrolls games is already in development. Can't wait to set foot on the summerset isles.

So it's confirmed that Fallout 4 is being done by Bethesda? What about the next TES game? Will they work on both at the same time?

I hope we get the next TES in less than 5 years. 5 years is a long time to wait. I would like to see them expand their team, maybe double the size of it, and cut the time in half. That would be sweet.

Compared to VtM:B, any genre looks plentiful.

I'd love to see a sequel to Bloodlines, but only if it was a worthy successor, and I think the odds of that happening are slim to none.

World of Darkness MMO. Same setting being developed by the creators of the property White Wolf

World of Darkness MMO. Same setting being developed by the creators of the property White Wolf

Its a MMO and that's a big turnoff for me. Still its good there still making another game.

Its a MMO and that's a big turnoff for me. Still its good there still making another game.

If you do not like MMORPGs as a whole then I can respect that. With WoD however the PnP game is based on social interaction, politics and backroom dealings. So the V:tM setting really is more set for a MMO environment then a SP CRPG IMO.

Maybe we'll see more openworld rpgs in the future from the big boys. I would believe now that it's proven that a singleplayer rpg can be a huge success that might make some of the big shot executives a little more interested in funding these kinds of games.

While I for one am hoping for some straight up "Skyrim knock-offs," I imagine it might influence a number of other games currently in development in less obvious ways.

Game devs play lots of games and pick little details of things they like from here and there. Certainly at least most of the folks who work on RPGs have probably been playing skyrim a bit and some smaller influences might creep into whatever game they are working on. This is a good thing IMO.

Like I have said in the past they need to make a Cthulu based Western rpg.

PS. They should set the next Fallout game in the Northwest around Seattle. The Space Needle has always been a central motif in the retro sci-fi of the 50's and since Washington has a better variety of different environments and would likely be in a better shape after a nuclear war then many other areas it makes for a good location.

Back
Top Bottom