Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Deus Ex 4 & Hair Tech

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Graham Smith published an article about Deus Ex 4, and talks about Adam Jensen from a panel at GDC 2015. The article though focuses more on hair technology.

I’ve seen Adam Jensen from Deus Ex 4, and his hair is lustrous.

I like to make the time at every GDC to attend one talk I almost certainly won’t understand, because it’s useful to remind ourselves every now and then of the absurd technology that underpins the games we play. This year I picked Augmented Hair In Deus Ex Universe Projects, because not only does it fit this mission, but I thought I might get lucky and hear a few hints about Deus Ex 4.

Instead I left the talk with a question: does anyone really care this much about hair?
More information.

Last edited:
The hair tech is going to be in future Deus Ex games and Adam Jensen was one of three models used to model the technology, but that doesn’t necessarily mean Jensen will appear in the game itself.

Nice hair tech, though. ;)

I hope this mean we won't have too much buzzcut in the game. Looking at you DAI...

Instead I left the talk with a question: does anyone really care this much about hair?
Oh yes, there is at least one - me.
And at least one company - CDprojekt.

I had enough of dreadful hair in games, lack of hair and too many bald characters, on top of that silly hats and caps to cover the horrible hair.
It definetly isn't the most important thing in games. But this is year 2015. A year when machines should be capable of proper hair technology. Normal machines.
For all I care RPS can continue play poor hair games on their phones. I won't.

It's another step forward, so I care. Did anyone really care about realistic water before Morrowind, and how about physics before games like Half-Life 2?

All these little things add up - and they aid immersion.

I do too. Game design is a balancing act so, if proper hair can be incorporated into the game without the loss to the other elements, why not?

Great hair, mr Jensen...I still have a question: does Square ever intends to fix their broken Director's Cut version of DX3?! Because all the bugs that were patched in the Standard version are present in the "superior" Director's Cut edition....

Sorry but what exact bugs are those?
I found a bug in DC that didn't exist in the release DX:HR version but also noticed that a certain bug from patched DX:HR vanilla version doesn't appear in DC.

This means I say the rumors are not correct.
Bugs (at least not all of them) from vanilla game did not make comeback in DC, but bugs in DC are new ones.

So please, if you want a patch, first make a buglist. If you're not sure how to troll Square Enix enough to fix them, don't worry. That's something I'll do.
But without a concrete list... No ammo to use.

Hair; much ado about nothing.

I suppose for those who like to spend endless hours fiddling with the appearance of a character they'll play in 1st person and rarely see, this may be a big issue. Personally, the appearance of characters in FO3 and Skyrim are fine with me. Instead if glistening tresses wafting gently in the warm spring air, I'd rather have a smoothly accessible environment in which to function.
Climbing ropes and ladders, scaling walls and cliffs, swimming and diving, picking up and throwing rocks, climbing over fences and up the side of buildings. Add to this realistic damage from falls and jumps.
I know a lot of this is already available, but most is over-done and over-powered like in most shooters and war games.
The old Gothic series was pretty good for its time. Styx-Master of Shadows does a decent job, but alas, no wavy hair.

i want far better AI and better enviornmental interaction, i couldn't care less about hair. If the tech requires mininal effort and development time, then it's fine, but if they spend like a year on it and many thousands of dollars then it pisses me off, it's an insult to gaming and gamers.

I'd go one step further and say if the hair costs ANY development time or effort, it should be forgotten. Heh. :) That time could be spent enhancing the actual gameplay of the game.

Then again, I believe graphics and animations are the least important aspects of a game, so I would much prefer games in general to focus more on the gameplay and less on the cosmetic stuff.

Great hair, mr Jensen…I still have a question: does Square ever intends to fix their broken Director's Cut version of DX3?! Because all the bugs that were patched in the Standard version are present in the "superior" Director's Cut edition….

There were bugs in DC but "broken"? It certainly wasn't a broken game!

I'd go one step further and say if the hair costs ANY development time or effort, it should be forgotten. Heh. :) That time could be spent enhancing the actual gameplay of the game.

New tech can help selling the game though, obviously i doubt the hair alone would do it though :p but details like that helps, they get coverage etc. But I do wish devs would focus 90% on gameplay elements and 10% on graphics instead of almost the other way around..

Bouncy realistic hair technology? Check.

Creatures inappropriately floating in mid-air? Still working on it… :D

Creatures floating in mid-air? Still working on it… :D

Why? I've seen that bug in so many games already should be easy to reproduce...

Creatures floating in mid-air? Still working on it… :D
I believe that is a Bethesda exclusive bug as all their games have that problem.:biggrin:

PS: This a joke so save your reply if I offended anyone.^^

Last edited:
Creatures inappropriately floating in mid-air? Still working on it… :D

You could just role-play a skooma addict and pretend that your character is having a "bad trip." That way the floating creatures aren't out of place at all! :lol:

New tech can help selling the game though, obviously i doubt the hair alone would do it though :p but details like that helps, they get coverage etc. But I do wish devs would focus 90% on gameplay elements and 10% on graphics instead of almost the other way around..

Absolutely agree. Unfortunately, it seems many devs go the way of "trying to sell as much as possible with graphics" and put much more of their budget into graphics instead of gameplay. That's just the way the industry works right now.

However, if you guys pledge to my Patreon and I reach the amount of money needed to build my own RPG developer team, I would guarantee that I would focus heavily on the gameplay and RPG elements first and foremost! (Shameless Patreon plug, link is in my signature!!) :D

Well since were On the topic of hair I remember all the complaints against BioWare for the Mass Effect games. So it seems players do want lustrous hair in their games.

So credit goes to AMD for inventing TressFX as it does look lustrous.:]

Attachments

• 2443592-20130226095202_00.jpg
    2443592-20130226095202_00.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I don't care about hair, and I'm very much in favor of silly hats.

Back
Top Bottom