Skyrim - Previews @ Kotaku, Destructoid

I play 3rd person too, it still has some flaws (like arrows sometimes hitting an object or the ground when you're crouched in cover) but it's a big improvement over Bethesda's past games. The animations are a lot better and it actually looks like your feet are attached to the ground now, rather than floating slightly above it.

I definitely prefer 3rd person view for moving around in Bethesda games. I have a better idea of space this way and, for me, 1st person view always causes motion sickness. I only use it in difficult fights, as the target aids work better in 1st person view.

Only first-person for me when it comes to TES. 3rd-person is poorly implemented in Bethesda's games, and I don't get the same immersion.

I use both, but I like 3rd so I can see what's coming up from the sides or behind me; I don't get surprised as much that way!! :)

I use both 3rd and first, when in third person i prefer to zoom out a lot though. That over the shoulder view in FO / Skyrim is really horrible because the character just feels like its in the way. Its not of any advantage whatsoever compared to first person, rather the opposite.

I've always found third person perspective to be very clumsily implemented in TES games and have subsequently preferred first person. They could certainly learn something from PB when it comes to third person view.

I mainly use 3rd person view as well.

First person is said to be "more immersive", but the sense of direction in game worlds is simply not the same as it would be in the real world - our senses (smell/hearing/sight/feeling the wind in our faces/etc) work in unison to let us know what's going on around us. In games, that simply doesn't happen, leading to completely unrealistic scenarios like giants sneaking up on the player.

I need to see what's going on to my sides and behind me without actually turning my whole body around.

I play first person but set my speakers up pretty high so that I get a lot of audio clues. The music will warn of an imminent battle, thus replacing the 5 senses. I do use 3rd person for vanity stuff. Giants rumble the ground very audibly and with a nice subwoofer, they rumble the floor of my house too :)

I mostly play in first person. I have done so with every TES game. The combat animations are terrible in 3rd person. Something Bethesda has never fixed in every game they make. I only use Third person to look at my new armor that's all.

I'm also glad there doing expansion size dlc again. I was getting tired of paying $10-15 for small addons.

Last edited:
I mostly play in first person. I have done so with every TES game. The combat animations are terrible in 3rd person.

I would agree with respect to Oblivion and Morrowind, but in the case of Skyrim, I think the melee animations look much better in third person.

You can see the entire arc of your sword swings, for example, while first person melee looks rather strange for most weapons.

I use first person for aiming bows and sometimes firing off ranged magic at distant targets, but the I don't like the way melee looks unless I switch to third.

It's very cool to be able to switch back and forth so quickly, zoom way out if you feel like it, etc. I find when I'm playing other games I try to use my mouse wheel to zoom in or out but sadly most of them don't allow this. I suppose quite a few third person games in modern settings kind of get around it by having weapons with scopes.

The destructoid interviewer seems perhaps a poor choice to have doing this writeup. There are far more important details they could have obsessed over - regardless of whether they love or hate Bethesda already.

Back
Top Bottom