NWN2 - Mysteries of Westgate Official Release Date!

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The NWN2 Adventure Pack Mysteries of Westgate will be released on April 29th by digital download for $9.95.
The official announcement is below but Avantenor writes in with the following additional but unconfirmed details (German link) from Atari France Product Manager Arnaud Staebler:
- Copy Protection: Online Activation, one-time per installation
- Installation limit: Allowed to install on three different PCs
- Installation Limit Reset: not possible
- Available at: AtariSHOP, Metaboli, IGN, Steam, most likely others will follow
Ossian's Tiberius is unaware of the DRM restrictions and posted on the official forums that he would check further - we'll follow up if he posts again on the topic.
Also, Borutnik had previously let us know Poland will get a disc-based release through CD Projekt.
Here's the official PR:
NEVERWINTER NIGHTS™ 2: MYSTERIES OF WESTGATE™’ Adventure Pack confirmed for WORLDWIDE RELEASE ON 29 APRIL 2009
- First Neverwinter Nights™ 2 Adventure Pack Available Exclusively via Digital Download -
Atari today announced that the first Neverwinter Nights™ 2 Adventure Pack entitled Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate will be available exclusively via digital download for the Windows platform on 29 April 2009 at a suggested retail price of €9.99 / £9.99 /$9.99. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate will be available for digital download at the Atari store by visiting www.atari-store.eu in Europe or www.atari.com/us in the US.
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate provides over 15 hours of additional entertainment with all-new engrossing storylines, professional voice acting, enchanting musical scores, new in-game content, and much more. Neverwinter Nights 2 is set in the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® Forgotten Realms® universe created by Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS). DUNGEONS & DRAGONS is under license from Hasbro.
More information about Neverwinter Nights 2 can be found at www.nwn2.com, which includes user forums, project news, development updates and more.
More information.

Last edited:
Small correction: Tiberius is unaware of that, not Alan.

The DRM restrictions - particularly 'no reset' really concerned me ...

If the restrictions are true Atari just killed off "Mysteries of Westgate" since for something like this only people that really want to support the company or are really in to Neverwinter Nights 2 will buy it. (except people that don't know what the restrictions mean) They are also competing with mods and even though this is better then most mods the drm hurts them.

Last edited:
Argh, I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, I want to support small studios like Ossian. OTOH, I do not want to support limited-install-with-no-reset DRM, which is IMO the most obnoxious thing since StarForce. Buy or not to buy?

I'll buy it, even with those annoying drm restriction 'cause I'll complete the game once, maybe twice if it's really good and then just don't care anymore.

Screw the DRM, how many time will one install it anyway, one time is anough fore me.

I don't really doubt your source but would rather play it safe with this sort of topic.
That's ok, I have no problem with this. In the official forum they got a little bit upset by that info.

Sounds like it's the Tages DRM that's with The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.
MoW is a niche product so it hardly needs this DRM. It seems that Atari are trying to kill sales of this product for some reason.

Personally (and without any hats on at all please), I think there might be a translation issue here, which is why I'm always wary of posting official comments in one language as news in another (and note the release I posted doesn't say anything about it.) What if the 'no reset' is actually 'no revocation tool at the moment'? That doesn't mean the activations can't be reset over the phone, like with other products, and in the past they've been very happy to grant additional activations for genuine reasons.

Without clarification, I think it's wrong to be saying for certain those activations are fixed forever. If you look at Riddick for example, you can easily get more activations.

I asked that quite clearly and the response was very clear. Also the communique was in English, not in German or French. As I'm under NDA I can't say more than has been said.

I asked that quite clearly and the response was very clear. Also the communique was in English, not in German or French. As I'm under NDA I can't say more than has been said.
I know it was in English, but neither of you were speaking in your native language (not that you aren't both absolutely excellent speakers of English).

Regardless, 3 machines for 10 credits seems very reasonable to me, depending on what constitutes a new machine, which we're hoping to find out later.

Screw the DRM, how many time will one install it anyway, one time is anough fore me.

I often come back years later and replay games - as do many others if you look through these forums. So limiting installs or using authentication servers which may not be there years down the line etc are serious issues for many. I certainly won't buy this module as it stands now - see - one sale lost already.

Same here. I have probably installed most of my games 5+ times and on several different computers. I won't buy it unless they change it since I don't want to support this kind of DRM. Sad, but that's how it is.

Say what, leave it to atari to kill my enthusiasm of buying and playing this game with a stupid drm scheme, now I will never play this.

I'll buy it, even with those annoying drm restriction 'cause I'll complete the game once, maybe twice if it's really good and then just don't care anymore.

+ 1

I don't really care about the restrictions either. Besides if we assume that "over 15 hours" of new content is the usual marketing blurb then it should be rather safe to assume that we are in reality looking at 10 hours max with this mini add-on, probably even less. I'll play through it once, then maybe a second time in a couple years and that's it. The vast majority of people will never even use up their three installs.
And I'm pretty sure that they will either release a revoke tool or a patch to loosen the restrictions at some point in the hopefully (hopefully = for you guys who upgrade your systems all the time and replay the game over and over) not too distant future.

let's see how long it takes for pirates to publish this, and without any DRM. Once again, real customers get the shaft while pirates play it without problems

@Moriendor: Alan Miranda assumed 8h four main quest and additional 7h if you go and look after every side quest. From my own perspective, I think 10-15h is very likely for most people.

Back
Top Bottom