Fallout 3 - Comments from Desslock

...Oblivion... If you prefer a tight story and "playing a book", you might not like it.

Why would that be, Rendelius? The game does feature a linear-as-kate-moss MQ after all. Or is it because the plot is garbage?

Anyway, Desslock this, Desslock that. You people can't see the forest for the trees. the gaming press keeps giving you "this time there's real depth. Megaton quest, Megaton quest". I give you the Oblivion Bookseller demo, Fargoth's Gold, the steal-a-diamond example, the 'we're doing real good fleshed-out NPCs this time, uh-huh', etc etc

Even though it's a whine, I can see where Twinfalls is coming from. We hear about branching, meaningful quests, but only get the same exact example every time. Are there other meaningful branches? How could there be in a game that is only 20-40 hours long? If someone has a quarter-to-three account this would be a good question for Desslock.

Even though it's a whine, I can see where Twinfalls is coming from. We hear about branching, meaningful quests, but only get the same exact example every time. Are there other meaningful branches? How could there be in a game that is only 20-40 hours long?

Didn't Fallout have a decent variety of branching dialogue options? That game was about 20 hours, if even that.

If the guy wants to be taken more seriously, then he should write previews with his actual name and not some internet screen name.

If the guy wants to be taken more seriously, then he should write previews with his actual name and not some internet screen name.

After all of these years he has established much more of a 'mind share' in the gaming media world with Desslock.

Knowing about RPGS and having good taste in rpgs is two different matters. One is based on experience and fact, the other on opinion. And, since Bethesda spent so lavishly to have the journalists be flown in and wooed, no one can say this guy is above flattery.

Also, if he loved Oblivion, it would be impossible for him not to like this game I think.

I don't think the devide is as simple as that. I love sandbox games, but I didn't buy Oblivion because, from what I hear, there is no challenge, very few meaningful or non-superficial options, etc. Basically, the only thing I'd like about it was the sandbox. I don't like action games, I don't like twitch, I don't like hordes of easy monsters, and don't like superficial choices or meaningless charcter generation or development. It has nothing to do with story, or playing a book, but the actual gameplay provided. I liked Daggerfall for one main reason, the custom character creation is amazing. That is a big enough driver to make me want to play the game and see how my different builds play out. To this day I've put about equal hours into making characters and playing the actual game.

If you never played the game how can you even use it in any context...

I have played many crpgs...back to the old apple 2 days....I spent over 80 hours on oblivion in a time where I find it hard to find games you can spend 10+ hours on a game...So to me...oblivion was great fun, it had its faults but it was a great game. The problem with games today is that the internet lets the drama come out from the people that feel they have to push their opinions on you.

I think Desslock is easier to remember than Stefan Janikowski or however you spell it :) I guess you didn't like Scorpia either.

If you never played the game how can you even use it in any context...

I have played many crpgs...back to the old apple 2 days....I spent over 80 hours on oblivion in a time where I find it hard to find games you can spend 10+ hours on a game...So to me...oblivion was great fun, it had its faults but it was a great game. The problem with games today is that the internet lets the drama come out from the people that feel they have to push their opinions on you.

I've never played Halo or Doom either, but I can pretty much tell you what its about. I didn't trash Oblivion, but I have played Daggerfall and Morrowind and have read a great deal about Oblivion. I know enough to know I won't like it, for all the reasons I stated. Were my reasons wrong?

I have played many crpgs...back to the old apple 2 days

Well, I'm damn proud of you. Damn proud.

spent over 80 hours on oblivion in a time where I find it hard to find games you can spend 10+ hours on a game

FANTASTIC!!!! When Oblivion was released I put over 80 hours into playing the RoA trilogy again because I like rpgs. Who gives a shit?

So to me...oblivion was great fun, it had its faults but it was a great game.

FANTASTIC!!!! I'm glad you liked something. I like things too. I bet I like a whole heap of things you don't like and have an opinion on.

The problem with games today is that the internet lets the drama come out from the people that feel they have to push their opinions on you.

You just said you have a problem finding games today that you spend more than 10+ hours on. Here, I'll quote it so you can have a reminder. "I find it hard to find games you can spend 10+ hours on a game." See? But the problems with games is that people have opinions? Maybe the problem is the games are shallow and suck?

Whats your problem with opinions? That people have them or they share them? Because the only opinion pushing that mattered when Oblivion was released was by the journalists slobbering all over its knob and the game buyers buying it by the droves. So, I guess you like when good opinions are forced on people, or opinions you like. Thats great, your a facist. I like freedom, personally. But to each his own.

EVen the retards at rpgcodex who just cried and whinned about Oblivion nonstop still played it for 80 hours (then went back to whinning). At least I have the good taste not to buy games I know I won't like (for the most part). Even Twinfalls bought it, or at least pirated it and played it. But, somehow my opinion is somhow wortheless because I didn't waste my money on an action game when I have always claimed to like rpgs, consistently and coherently?

But, I bow to you in defeat, good sir. You are an intellectual powerhouse and I don't have it in me to continue this debate.

Well it does make me wonder why depeche mode doesn't goes by their real name instead.

Hm, okey. But, nevertheless. There is similarities. Why am i going by mute? Will i be fameous for that. Hm, Mute, Depeche Mode - go figure. ;)

Desslock is Desslock. If he changes his name i wouldn't know who to look for.

Agree with your point txa

We didn't get so much print Desslock down here but I used to religiously devour what he put up at GameSpot. I don't always agree with Desslock but his experience and industry access is enormous, and as crpgnut noted, he's an approachable and helpful bloke.

As for not seeing the forest for the trees - speaking for myself, I'm pretty sure I see it exactly for what it is - PR. PR is PR. I dislike the way Bethsoft manages their exposure but Oblivion proved it worked extremely well - and that's what matters in business. I don't see much point in railing against PR; it's a modern fact that won't change unless the effectiveness is disproven - which it won't be. The first 9 months or so of Oblivion's marketing was all based on the same demo of the intro and I don't expect this to be any different. They'll release more but it won't be for months down the track.

Desslock recommended Gothic and for turning me on to that game I am eternally grateful. As a regular reader of Desslock's page in the good old days I can safely say that he knows a hell of a lot about RPGs. I am ot a great fan of Oblivion (I still havent finished it - I get bored with it very quickly - that doesnt happen very often in RPG games so there must be something wrong - I think the lack of challenge is the main problem and the feeling that everyting is very familiar - there never seems to be many surprises) so hopefully Fallout 3 has a lot of improvements on Oblivion.

Could I please ask you to direct all Oblivion comments to our own very special Oblivion rant thread and leave poor F3 alone!! :) Maybe we should give old Desslock his own thread as well, since most of us are fans!! :biggrin:

Why would that be, Rendelius? The game does feature a linear-as-kate-moss MQ after all. Or is it because the plot is garbage?

It's because you don't have to follow the main quest at all. That's what sandbox is all about. Actually, I don't like the main quest in most of the games I have played, they are endless variations of the same most of the time. Oblivion's MQ is no exception. But try, for example, to play NWN2 without following the main quest. No chance. Take the Elder Scrolls games, and nobody forces you to do that. That's more to my taste.

A name can become kind of a trade mark at one point.

Take a look at me, I'm in and was in so many forums, I've partially lost track - but I always keep my name so people wil recognize me.
It's already like a brand on me.

I'm in
- Divinity, both as a written book and a cited kind-of-poem
- Sacred - as a character (although I've never found myself, but people who I trust tell me I'm actually in)
- Broken Sword 3 - in the credits mentioned as one of several fans

I don't believe I'll get into more games ;) , but I always keep my name. I'm already proud of what had once begun as a kind of short-term name.

I'm just waiting until the day someone tries some kind of identity theft on me. ;)

Back
Top Bottom