Gaming-Working, how?

POLYGON

Heavy Smoker
I'm about to get my first job ever and I'm kinda worried it would take from my gaming time...I usually play games at night, I don't like playing before sunset(the monitor is facing a window so the vision is not clear:D) I know that work is a priority but I wonder how am I going to play games if I have to sleep at 12 am max....I'm sure there are gamers/workers here that can give some advices

Get so jaded with your job that your only escape is the video games you play. Also, its good not to start any relationships, except online.

As Ron told Hermoine, you NEED to sort out your priorities ...

No matter how the work itself and related fatique would take away you gaming time. Play 2-4 hours per night already very good in my book. Choose only games your really like (mediocre games is a waste for your limited time), and games that easy to pick up and put down (not Civilization games as by the time you figured up steps and plan to continue your previous save game it'll be sleeping time already...)

And when you married your wife would beat your senseless for playing games instead caring for baby and for certain negligent (gaming better than sex...):biggrin:

I guess that playing *together* or *against* a wife/husband could be even more fun that to do gaming alone. :)

Personally, I'd put gaming to the weekends, but that's just my personal preference.

It's called sleep deprivation... learn to love it.

I've been doing it for over 20 years. Like others have said.. first try to focus on the games that you really love... no time for games that you "kinda" like. Then figure out your "you" time. If you are married and have kids, that will probably be after 11pm every night. That's when you start gaming. Play as long as you want, but realize that you're probably not going to get 8 hours of sleep.

Example, Me: I start playing around 11pm every night (if that's what I choose for the night... sometimes it's a movie, or a book). I play until between 1am and 2am and then I go to bed. I get up at 7am to get the kids off to school (I have to do it because my wife leaves for work earlier than I do) and then go to work.

So, I get about 5 hours of sleep a night. Been doing that almost my entire adult life. Sometimes I have a "crash" night, where I go to sleep right after I put the kids to bed (around 9pm).

If you love gaming... that's the sacrifice you'll make :)

I'd like to encourage you, but since I stopped working full time, I seem to have even less time for gaming; I'm always busy doing things. When I was working, I set aside time every evening just for myself and my games. Now I don't get to do that!! :)

Dude. Wait until you have a spouse and kids. Then come back and ask "how do I find time to game?!?!!?" Just having a job will seem like a cakewalk then...

;)

So true, chamr, so true.

Hah, wait till they're teens and decide to play your games, so they take your discs out and when you find the time to play, the discs are missing or being used!! :)

And after that, you'll be retired and won't have time to game...huh?o_o (Kind of makes me wonder what Corwin *is* doing...)

I still game a reasonable number of hours a week, but when I worked, it was almost always confined to weekends only. unless I hit one of those games that refused to let me go, and then it was less sleep and more caffiene. Good luck, POLYGON--your only other option would be to find a job that pays you to play games, but that might take awhile. :)

Just job: you can still game in the evening, but will be restricted to games you really like.
Job and spouse: you can still game in the evening, but will be restricted to games you and your spouse like. If you both get proficient enough to join a clan (or whatever it is called in non-FPS genres), you will be able to play all weekend long as well.
Job, spouse and kids: Once your child has passed the magical six months border, you might be able to play for a few hours during the weekend or - if you're lucky and don't need the sleep - the occasional all-nighter. As long as your child is really tiny, you can still play during the night (after getting up and feeding the little one).

Have to agree with the rest - work by itself still leaves a lot of time, work and wife and kids, and suddenly a single games lasts for months. And well, thats just how it should be. I still maybe play about 3-4 games a year, but I rarely play more than 1-2 hour sessions, only when the family is away visiting the grandparents, or something like that. Chekcking forums like these during work brakes has become the substitute for my past gaming addiction. I am not complaining, having a great job and seeing your kids grow and learn is far better than even the best RPG.

No spouse or kids, and that's not an option right now so more years of freedom for me:p
@ narpet: I'm used to that since school and University but I used to sleep in classes or be half asleep but isn't work a bit different wouldn't it make you less effecient to be sleepy...
What's strange about me not sleeping well, first I feel like I'm flying in vacuum then after an hour or so I feel like I'm high or drunk and start laughing at silly things does that have any scientific explanation?
I usually don't game on weekends I go out, and I only play games I love so no problem there but I replay those when I don't have anything to play so I always have something to play

Hah, wait till they're teens and decide to play your games, so they take your discs out and when you find the time to play, the discs are missing or being used!! :)

Or won't run on "modern" systems ... :S

I'm used to that since school and University but I used to sleep in classes or be half asleep but isn't work a bit different wouldn't it make you less effecient to be sleepy...

I remember that I was a very similar person (the professor stood right before me watching me sleep once and I woke up with the whole class laughing.) You forget that normally your job ends when you go home -> no homework or studying anymore. Also after a while you will feel much less exhausted then watching some boring dude telling you how that certain chemical reaction made methanol. It's much easier to do something then to listen how something should be done or has done before.

Back
Top Bottom