The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

You have a problem with the Beatles? One of the best pop bands ever and writers of songs that still wipe the floor with 90% of the crap put out of pop-ville?

I watched Repo Man a few weeks ago ... so now I'm listening to the soundtrack. Fun punk stuff.

David Bowie - 1. Outside (1995)

Since it´s probably my favourite Bowie album, I consider it very underrated.
Album contains a very unique bland of rock, jazz, industrial and electronica and thanks to the strong emphasis on atmosphere creates a world of its own.
Consistent throughout and uncompromising.
I certainly rank it among his other greats such as Hunky Dory, Ziggy, or Low.

A Small Plot of Land
I´m Deranged
The Motel

More the style of their most popular tunes.

Their more obscure songs (like I Want You) are their best pieces imo. I recommend listening to The Beatles, aka The White Album, if you want to hear some great songs that never make it to the radio. Among my faves are I'm So Tired, Dear Prudence, Cry Baby Cry, Don't Pass Me By. And while you're at it, take a listen to side B of Abbey Road starting with Because to the end. It's wonderful.

Their more obscure songs (like I Want You) are their best pieces imo. I recommend listening to The Beatles, aka The White Album, if you want to hear some great songs that never make it to the radio. Among my faves are I'm So Tired, Dear Prudence, Cry Baby Cry, Don't Pass Me By. And while you're at it, take a listen to side B of Abbey Road starting with Because to the end. It's wonderful.
Thanks for the recommendations, but they're a different style than what attracted me to "I Want You". It's more the guitar riff and drum works the last 3-4 minutes of the song that hook me. A bit reminiscent of House of The Rising Sun from The Animals.

I don't dislike pop/rock but I rarely listen to it myself. Most my music is instrumental like cheap electronica/ambient music and recently a little bit of classical music like Arvo Part. His Fratres is very nice (no good recordings on youtube). My dealer is the Ultima Thule podcasts.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hint to everyone using youtube links, you may want to always add &fmt=18 to your links, that way when one clicks on them the H.264 version starts, which is a bit better quality than the default and features stereo sound.

Other than that, Elnur & Samir make me cringe. Can't stop listening though, it's like Tomacco from the Simpsons.

Doing a little catching up.
@Arhu- big ups for Owl City, they remind me a lot of Mew
@larry138-long time since I've heard those guys. Not sure I missed them. ;)
@Jaz- that was rough, but it's no Daler

For me, one of the more beautiful voices in dreampop. Unfortunately, I can't find a full stream for "Stir About the Stars" (30 seconds just doesn't do that gem justice), so we'll go with a different track of theirs:
"Write in Water" by Love Spirals Downwards

Another tune put up by my friends in Makaras Pen (the other half of the Tearwave meltdown). This song kicks ass. It's still got gazer elements, but this is a screamer. I'm gushing.

"Sacrifice" by Makaras Pen

Currently listening to The Carpet Crawlers 1999 , a break during recording the whole live "Lamb" concert on an audio cassette for a short trip by car which takes place within the next few days.

I have 120+ artists on last.fm that I listen to while browsing. Kinda nice to just slap stuff you like on and go.

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors (2002)
Kinetic
Enslaved - Ruun (2006)
Entroper
Both great openers from rather ass-kicking progressive blackish metal albums.
I usually can´t help but begin to air drum during these two :). Both are better listened at very high volumes!

Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down (2001)
Best balanced album from these melancholics, contains my favourite song of theirs:
Sweet Nurse
The chorus is where it´s at.

Last but certainly not least:
Léo Ferré - Avec le temps (1972)
Chansons magnifique!
Avec le temps
Some serious business goin´ on here :).

Last edited:
Kenji Kawai once more, Voyage to AVALON, from "Avalon" by Mamoru Oshii. When I hear the music I see the movie before my inner eye. It lingers.

The song is in Polish -- as is the film -- although like with every opera, probably a bit hard to understand. Not that I understand Polish, anyway. But damn, now I want to watch the movie again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom