The "I Just Bought" thread

Hi Alrik :)

I just bought it (the adventure game) on the spur of the moment. I even downloaded the play before I decided if I wanted to buy it, but there it was - and so I bought it.
Also, because I feel that every once in a while, I'll need to buy 1 or 2 adventure games at my local gamestop store, so they keep them in supply. So far, it seems it is only me that buys them...

Have you played the game 'a new beginning' Alrik, and if so, what did you think of it?

I haven't done so, but everyone says here that it is a great story (environmental thing), and everything's just fine. :)

"A New Beginning" and "Lost Horizon" recently appeared in a new format (which is similar to a "Gold" or a "Game Of The Year" edition) as "Abenteuer Des Jahres" (English : "Adventure Of The Year").

This is a new format, because for adventure games there hasn't been a "Game Of THe Year" before here in Germany - plus, whereas the "Game Of The Year" appears to be an English-speaking territories (most likely North America, I think) thing, the "Abenteuer Des Jahres" is an genuine German thing - which wouldn't appear in the English-speaking territories in this format, I guess, because Adventure games just aren't as "big" or "sucessful" there than they are here in Germany.

By the way, "Lost Horizin" is said to be a king of Indy Jones - type game. I' rather planning to buy this than "A Bew Beginning".

I just got (didn't buy those myself) a new mouse, keyboard and speakers ... in pink.

No, not pink: keyboard and mouse are more ... peach puff while the speakers have a salmon tinge. Anyway, I'm starting to like my desk better now.

You're such a girlie girl, Jaz. ;)

I know ^^.

Whilst browsing randomly at EB this afternoon, I decided to pick up the Penumbra Collection for $20. (Overture, Black Plague+Requiem)

I'd heard some good reportages about its survival horror and adventure gaming elements all set in a first person and decided to check it out.

Anyone else played them that would care to comment?

Whilst browsing randomly at EB this afternoon, I decided to pick up the Penumbra Collection for $20. (Overture, Black Plague+Requiem )

I'd heard some good reportages about its survival horror and adventure gaming elements all set in a first person and decided to check it out.

They still have EB down there? They've been pretty much eradicated in the US now. :)

The Penumbra games were ok. I liked Overture the best, but Black Plague was good as well. I decided to skip Requiem when I heard it was based almost entirely on solving puzzles.

You should check out Amnesia if you get the chance. Same developer, and it's a bit better than the Penumbra games imo.

They are a trilogy, although the third game didn't felt as connected as the first two.

In one perspective they are physics-based adventuregames. You solve puzzles and problems, often using weights in a physics-based world. In another perspective they are horror games and can often be quite scary. The first game allowed you to use weapons, this didn't work very well. From the second game and beyond (including Amnesia) you have no weapons and can usually not kill the monsters.

They look great, except for animations and monsters (which makes me happy combat was removed).

Storywise they are heavily influenced by H.P. Lovecraft and voice acting is very good.

If you like there should also be a "demo" for the Penumbra series that acted as a prequel I think. http://www.frictionalgames.com/site/penumbra

@ JDR

We actually have two EB stores within about 5 kms of each other in the relatively small city that I live in. They're probably the most successful games selling business remaining and are also quite widespread. I drop in now and again just to check for 50 % off bargains. :)

I read an interview with Chris Avellone recently where he spoke quite highly of Amnesia (best $20 he'd spent in awhile) I was also aware that Frictional Games developed that game as well as the Penumbra games and had been wondering about them for awhile.

Thanks for the feedback JDR and Jemy.

I've enjoyed my fair share of both H.P Lovecraft and survival horror over the years, so I think the gameplay will be right up my alley.

My first electric bike:
renegade_f_1_360_1.jpg

My town is very hilly and the air is often full of moisture (100% every morning = tropical) so it should make travelling much more comfortable. Cant wait to test how it climbs the steep hills.

EDIT: In the last moment I bought different bike. I got a 1300€ electric bike for 650€ from finnish ebay. And its totally new! They are clearing storage or somthing so they are giving some away for half-price. Brand is "Lightning King" and color ferrari red. Damn Im happy!
b04ad34cc29e6211e4733c91cb126-medium.jpg

Last edited:
They still have EB down there? They've been pretty much eradicated in the US now.
EB games & Gamestop are both owned by the same company, so if you still have Gamestop, you have failed to eradicate EB ;)

I drop in now and again just to check for 50 % off bargains.
Here their 50% off "bargains" is still quite often more expensive than buying games online. Sometimes they do silly things though, like selling games that were released only a month ago for 10-15€.

EB games & Gamestop are both owned by the same company, so if you still have Gamestop, you have failed to eradicate EB.

I meant that Gamestop pretty much eradicated them. Over here, almost all EB stores were changed to Gamestops.

I love large and complex boardgames. The boardgame with the most components must be Arkham Horror with all it's expansions. The latest expansion "Miskatonic Horror" is an expansion-expansion, adding cards to each of the expansions, a much welcome addition.

arkham-horror-Miskatonic.jpg

The latest miniexpansion for Carcassonne "Phantom" is a very simple expansion. When you add a figurine to the board, you may add the "Phantom" as well. Once there it works exactly like a regular figurine. So all there is to this expansion is a "double move".

c2.bmp

I meant that Gamestop pretty much eradicated them. Over here, almost all EB stores were changed to Gamestops.

"Jein", as we say here in Germany : "Yesno" would be a good translation.

As far as I understood it, one of both bought the other one and then just changed names …

From that perspective on I wouldn't cal it "eradicating", but rather "changing" ... ;)

The boardgame with the most components must be Arkham Horror with all it's expansions
Either that, or some wargame that has been in print for a long time, and that has received plenty of updates. Come to think of it, WiF is quite component heavy "out of the box".

How big is Arkham Horror with all the expansions (as in roughly the board size). I only own the core game+1 expansion, and that is hard to fit.

*edit* A complete set of WiF counters seem to be downright obscene:
Contains the 3600 WiF Deluxe counters that provide the full World in Flames experience. It includes the counters for World in Flames, Ships in Flames, Planes in Flames, Mech in Flames, Asia Aflame and Africa Aflame.

Either that, or some wargame that has been in print for a long time, and that has received plenty of updates. Come to think of it, WiF is quite component heavy "out of the box".

How big is Arkham Horror with all the expansions (as in roughly the board size). I only own the core game+1 expansion, and that is hard to fit.

*edit* A complete set of WiF counters seem to be downright obscene:

Each expansion board is 25% of the regular board, so it's about 175% if you use all of them. You need a gigantic table for doing an all-in game. Few of my friends even have a dinnertable with enough room to fit that. You have to count space for characters and carddecks as well.

However, prior to the Miskatonic Horror expansion you were better of only using one extra board since it could get overwhelming to use it all. With Miskatonic Horror it seems they adressed that problem.

Not my images;

pic576467.jpg

pic798314_lg.jpg

pic772980_lg.jpg

Oh, BEEP ! I wouldn't dare to touch such a monstrous game at all ! O_O

Besides, there are 2 TDE-based board games out there, too … I just don't remember whether they are translated as well … ("Der Weg nach Drakonia" - Drakonia is a strange fortress of Elementarists, where the Fireball spell originally comes from - reintroduuced into Aventuria after centuries of being forgotten … - which produces an continuity error in the second Drakensang game, by the way, because at *that* time, the spell just wasn't available in Aventuria … Only the isolated Elementarists of Drakonia knew it … And they didn't show of unstil a few decades later (in-game) …).

Oh, BEEP ! I wouldn't dare to touch such a monstrous game at all ! O_O

You should.

First of all, the complexity of the game makes every game unique, truly unique. Two games will feel very differently from eachother so you cannot expect at all what you are going in for when you join in.

Second, it's a co-op game. It's you and your friends against the game, and it's only thanks to your teamwork and combined strategy you have a chance to win. This puts advanced players and complete newbies in the same boat. It's an excellent game to invite people into who normally shun competitive games.

Also, due to how the game works, a new player only has to learn a small portion of it. The owner of the game can handle monster movements, card effects and all that. And the game is relatively complex without being hard to learn. The rules make sense and follows an established logic. The game is also very well crafted and has some really nice components.

And I envy the people who have the space to use all expansions. My dinner table lacks the space to properly fit the core game, so an extra 75% would not be possible.

Back
Top Bottom