JA:Flashback - Available Now On Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Full Control announces that Jagged Alliance: Flashback is now ready to be taken off Early Access. So the game is now available for full purchase, and download on Steam.

Get Ready for Tactical Overload - Jagged Alliance: Flashback Explodes onto Steam for PC, Mac and Linux

Classic Turn Based Strategy Series Set on the Caribbean Island of San Hermanos Returns for a new Generation

Copenhagen, Denmark - October 21st, 2014 - Danish independent developer Full Control today announced the release of Jagged Alliance: Flashback, on PC, Mac and Linux. Jagged Alliance: Flashback is a reset for the classic turn-based strategy series, featuring a unique mix of deep turn-based tactics, role-playing and squad management.

“We are excited to bring Jagged Alliance back to its turn based roots with the launch of Flashback”, said Thomas Lund, CEO of Full Control, “It’s been a long journey from the initial Kickstarter funding campaign to full commercial launch. For months we’ve been working very closely with the awesome Jagged Alliance community, whose feedback has helped shape Flashback to the experience it is today.”

Based in the late-1980’s on the fictional Caribbean Island of San Hermanos, the elected president, The Prince”, uses his powerful military force to halt a rebellious group attempting to overthrow his regime. The revolutionaries quickly find, they are powerless against “The Princes” powerful military force. Jagged Alliance: Flashback begins when the insurgent army quickly dissolves after the rebel leader is arrested and imprisoned. Players arrive on San Hermanos to get the rebel leader out of prison as events take a turn for the worse. During the course of the rebellion, three charismatic individuals arise from the turmoil to form the legendary mercenary organisation A.I.M.

In Jagged Alliance: Flashback, the player assembles and coordinates squads of unique and powerful mercenaries to conquer the island sector by sector and turn by turn. The backbone of a deep and complex turn-based combat system is the economy system allowing the player to manage their resources to improve their mercenaries, buy or repair equipment and hire new members. Like the original classic Jagged Alliance series, Flashback tasks players to create their own tactics, whether that be rushing in with heavily armed troops to flank “The Princes” forces or from sniping enemies from a distance.

Jagged Alliance: Flashback comes fully moddable and completely integrated into Steam's workshop system. The player is free to create his own stories, levels or adjust the game to his personal preference and share that with the entire Steam community.

Jagged Alliance: Flashback originally received over $350,000 in funding through crowd-sourcing platform Kickstarter and has been in full development since June 2013.

Now available through digital distribution services Steam, Humble Bundle Store, Greenman Gaming, Gamersgate and Mac Gamestore, Jagged Alliance: Flashback is available at a retail price of $29.99, £24.99, €29.99. Players who purchase Jagged Alliance: Flashback through Steam during the first week of the release will receive a 20% discount.
More information.

Last edited:
Not mentioned in that press release, but Kickstarter update today says this:
So coming up in some weeks from now will be a free upgrade with some of the content that didn’t get into the 1.0 release.

Read on!

The first 2 things are features we really really would have loved to have in 1.0, but that didn't make the deadline.

- Weapon attachments
Scopes, silencers, ammo extenders and more!!

- Ammo types
Armor piercing, hollowpoint and other nasty pieces of lead

Additionally we want to add more content to the game. So

- Soviet weapon pack
As pointed out by the community, we added a lot of western weapons to the game. Its time to look at the old Soviet weapons and get a batch of them into the drop tables.

And lastly 2 features that didn’t turn out as great as they could have. So we will fix them up and polish:

- Shotguns:
Making shotguns look and feel more "blasty" - make them shoot multiple projectiles at once, so you get that great “buckshot” feel.

- Better shop interface:
A proper shop with images, stats and also ability to sell your items again
So, yet another game that's "released", but far from done. :(

Thanks for the information stingray as this just reinforces what I thought about the game. You only have to read the replies on Steam, and kickstarter.

This is definitely a buy later game after they release a few patches, or sell an upgraded edition. It reminds me of their last Warhammer game actually.:thumbsdown:

Seems they ran out of money and/or time.
That was one of the biggest complaints against the game. It seems the people who said this during the early funding campaign on kickstarter were correct.

I think I'll stick with the last two game for now. They had problems also, but they are both better than this game right now. I know many didn't like those versions either.

Hopefully they answer the questions I sent for the interview as you guys asked some serious questions. I'm interested in hearing how they reply to them now.o_o

They made it clear multiple times that the issue was $$$. They made comments like they spent too much on the website and other stuff... I have no clue as to the details but the kickstart wasn't that large - then again it is a tbs game...
-
btw what are the 'other two games' you mentioned above.

They made it clear multiple times that the issue was $$$. They made comments like they spent too much on the website and other stuff… I have no clue as to the details but the kickstart wasn't that large - then again it is a tbs game…
-
btw what are the 'other two games' you mentioned above.

They only earned $350,000, and the information was in the above press release. As for the last two Jagged Alliance games I will list them below.

1. Jagged Alliance: Back in Action
2. Jagged Alliance: Crossfire

Some gamers hated them but I had no problem with the newer games.:)

Here is a link to coverage on our site.

Link -http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/news?ref=0&id=448

Both games were made by the now defunct developer called Core-play who was making another game that got cancelled due to funding problems also.
fyi: totally unrelated but developmetn on forsaken fortress (another failed kickstart) has actually resumed…
Thanks I'll have to give the game another look as I thought development was stopped after the game was launched in an incomplete state.

Last edited:
I can totally understand why backers and early access clients would be miffed about how the game were released, but from the little I know about this team they sound quite passionate about the JA franchise so lets cross our fingers that they fix this mess in a reasonable time. I am a big JA fan so I will definitely buy this if it comes halfway close to JA2. The rtwp mess that was released (crossfire + back in action) really soured my JA expectations and shouldn't even have been given the Jagged Alliance title, so I hope they had no attachment to that team. As far as I know they did the wildfire mod so they cant be all that bad.

Another Kickstarter, another stinker.... If the problem was $$$ from the very beginning, they should have asked for more $$$. A half baked pie is NOT better than no pie.

Another Kickstarter, another stinker…. If the problem was $$$ from the very beginning, they should have asked for more $$$. A half baked pie is NOT better than no pie.

They were asking for only $300 k and in the middle of campaign were not getting near that amount. Campaign was tough for them - the owner of Full Control wanted to take second mortgage to meet the base goal. The game looks ok, but you get the sense it is cheap. I'm sure that the budget of original JA 2 was over $6 milion and the game was polished and awesome, but upon release was getting 8/10 in most reviews.... Don't be too harsh guys on this small indie developer please, have faith and patience - the game will be upgraded in with a mod like 1.13 should be really good.

The problem was clearly money. First they barely made their Kickstarter goal, and what they put on early access was far from finished. When release time was coming, backers told them to delay the game, because some features in the original game hadn't made it in. They said they simply didn't have the funds to continue development and needed to prioritize. I'm really hoping they use release sales to bring the game up to where they want it to be.

The problem was clearly money. First they barely made their Kickstarter goal, and what they put on early access was far from finished. When release time was coming, backers told them to delay the game, because some features in the original game hadn't made it in. They said they simply didn't have the funds to continue development and needed to prioritize. I'm really hoping they use release sales to bring the game up to where they want it to be.

As do I. I will wait until the announced features are in before giving it a go, but having already bought it I will give it a honest try then.

Where is that picture again that describes the evolution of games and for which in the year 2014 and the advent of the early access model, there is a rough sketch of a Mona Lisa drawing with the words "I'll complete it one day, I swear!"?

It's Jagged Alliance with turn-based combat, that's good enough for the start. There are plenty of good games to play, so waiting for all those extra features won't be a problem for me.

fyi: totally unrelated but developmetn on forsaken fortress (another failed kickstart) has actually resumed…

I backed JA:Flashback and Forsaken Fortress and have felt both developers didn't use the money very wisely. I'm much more conservative on backing things now as a result.

People should recognize just how little $300k is for game development. I'm sure they did not follow an optimum plan but I'll be damned if I ever saw a project that did.

I suppose I'm sad since these partial releases only diminish the funds they could be making on release but won't because of people waiting for patches and sales. The more that ship this way will mean fewer in the future and we are back to sequel boringness from the big studios.

Edit: I did start playing not realizing it was official release and while there were a bunch of typos and camera issues, it was not that bad overall and reminds me of new XCOM more than anything.

People should recognize just how little $300k is for game development. I'm sure they did not follow an optimum plan but I'll be damned if I ever saw a project that did.

I suppose I'm sad since these partial releases only diminish the funds they could be making on release but won't because of people waiting for patches and sales. The more that ship this way will mean fewer in the future and we are back to sequel boringness from the big studios.

Edit: I did start playing not realizing it was official release and while there were a bunch of typos and camera issues, it was not that bad overall and reminds me of new XCOM more than anything.
It is only little for US/Canada based developers. Lots of developers from Eastern Europe are just as good and their costs to develop stuff are 1/2 or less than what US/Canada ones need. But they cannot use Kickstarter as it does not support companies outside of US/Canada (or it didn't for most of the time).

Open KS to whole world and you will get quality games for 300k $.

It isn't apparently that hard to use Kickstarter from outside the US/Canada. Even the subject of this thread, JA: Flashback, was Kickstarted by a company in Denmark. Another obvious example would be D:OS from Belgium.

Back
Top Bottom