Risen - Report #4 @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
In his next Risen outing, Alec Meer falls foul of knocking on the Monastery door. If you're easily amused (like me), Alec has illustrated the piece with kitty pictures because he didn't have access to screenshots while traveling. Here's the issue:
No hurry, I reasoned, as I wandered through some fields, smashed some gnomes in the chops and had an idle chat with some pacifist monk types. What’s up this hill? Oh, some sort of monastery. The monastery, in fact. Can’t hurt to take a look…
Fade to black.
I’m inside the monastery and labelled a recruit, due to invisible powers its doorman had apparently exercised to force me inside. I was pretty disgusted at the game for this – it’s supposed to be a game of choice, but the mere act of a guy seeing me caused it to break its own rules, deny me the chance to fight for my liberty and force me down a certain path. Perhaps some sort of mention of magic would have appeased me, but no – I was supposed to presume that somehow this one guy had overpowered me and dragged me inside. Couldn’t I have fought back?
More information.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but aren't you warned time and time again that if you approach any Warrior of the Order outside of the city you will be attacked and recruited to the Monastery?

I can see why he's frustrated, but don't you basically get a stack of "don't do this!" warnings right from the start?

Shouldn't there still be a change to fight them off? If you lose, then you end up at the monastery.

I agree with lumiapina. Even if you have little or no chance at succeeding in such a battle and you were taken down in short order, I'd rather have that happen than fade to black. Or, like Alec says, "some sort of mention of magic". It may seem meaningless, and from a game mechanic POV it is, but when these sorts of things happen in games, and it's not uncommon, I find it damaging to my immersion into the game world. Is it worth the development resources to implement it that way? That's hard for an outsider to judge, but, for me, probably. (Note: I opine the above without having played Risen yet.)

agreed, that's bs how it's handled. This is one spoiler that I'm glad I came across, and if nothng else ever comes of the RPS field report i think Meer has done the community a favor by illustrating this potential clusterfuck that can occur 20 hours into a character.

But then you just reload to your last save game and be happy... right? It's more like an insta-kill, which are bad enough, but a clusterfuck that occurs 20 hours into a character implies something horribly destroying all of your save files.

You get hit by the Warriors if you approach them anywhere in the world, and you can run away or defeat them. Only, and only if you walk towards the the main gate of the monastery you get a forced conversation and end up as a recruit. If that "breaks someone's immersion", I can't help them. As said, you get warned again and again that you will get caught if you encounter the inquisition. I can't understand all this whining about "I cannot choose, ooooh, my whole game is wasted now :anxious:" Just save, safe often, it takes five seconds, or one if you use quicksafe, it's really not that hard to accomplish ...

Since you are standing in front of the door he obviously pushes you through the door which pretty much doesn't give you a chance to fight. (If he doesn't the guy just below could come up behind you and push you through the door) Going up to the Monastery door obviously means you either don't know what your getting yourself into or you really want to get into the Monastery.

I agree you get plenty of warning but I think PB should have provided some way of escaping - perhaps just going back over the wall before committing to the Inquisition should allow you to return to the Don.

That said, I think Alec's real gripe is he thinks his game is borked - that neither the Don nor Inquisition works properly now.

@Bateman: It may indeed not be too big a deal in Risen - as I mentioned I haven't played it yet - but that kind of occurrence has been a significant annoyance to me in other games. It's just generally something I'd like to see avoided by game developers whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom