Looking for a deeper CRPG

I don't have a PS2. I do own a Wii, but I guess that game is not out for my console of choice.

Egosoft made the X-series, which I thought was rather good. No need to push it towards me ;)

If you don't mind outdated graphics , start with MM3 . based on rpgs you named and what you like, our tastes are very similar. The last MM game was the worst but I still liked it.

I would be really interested what issues you had with M&M6 interface. I think it is great. Very good design for a dozen years old RPG.

I did not like the combat interface, I found it to be clunky and not very well suited to the realtime nature of the game. Spellcasting was also hampered by the interface, in my opinion.

I'll try the 3rd game in the series at some point then. It feels like I should at least have played and finished one MM game in my life.

I did not like the combat interface, I found it to be clunky and not very well suited to the realtime nature of the game. ...

Did you try the turn based approach to fighting???

You should play those games in TB mode as they are far better than Real Time. Combat and spell interface are great in TB mode in my opinion.

But I agree with you about Real Time combat.

Well, it was ~8 years since I tried to play the game. I might have been young & stupid, and missed the option to play it in turnbased. It is still standing up there in my bookshelf, I should probably take it down and give it another spin, but Drakensang River of time will soon be here, and that will be my next game (I really like rule system used in Drakensang/Realms of Arkania (Das Schwarze Auge)).

MM4 + 5 = World of Xeen was a VERY fun ride I took recently. The openness of the world was fantastic. Brought back memories of Morrowind but with better dungeons.

Yep, I have played that game, though I never actually finished it. It was quite buggy and a bit too much of a dungeon crawler for my taste, but overall a really solid game.

ok, I'm also assuming you got Divine Divintiy. Did you do an RPG search at GOG or Steam yet?

Looks like we have pretty much the same RPG catalog. When I get in the "gotta find a game mode" it's usually because I'm waiting for a AAA game (like Risen 2 or KOA). So sometimes I play RPG "like" games. Two good one that come to mind are Bioshock and Chronicles of Riddick. While the RPG elemetns are light to non existent, the story's of both are deep and satifying. And both provide a spectacular world that you can get lost in - gaming wise.

Aye, I have played Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity. There are a few games on GOG which I have not played yet, namely Invictus, Ishar (which I heard has a rather tedious save system, as it punishes you for saving), Might & magic 8+, Robinson's requiem & Stonekeep. Steam sadly seem to flood their categories with games that really don't belong in their respective category (Delve deeper might be a good game, but it is absolutely not an RPG).
I have played Bioshock, but Chronicles of Riddick was a bit too demanding for my computer when it was first released. I've heard a lot of good things about the game, and Dark Athena apparently contains both the original game and a brand new campaign (which is supposed to be quite a bit worse than the original). While not an RPG, I should probably check it out, I remember being interested in it when the original was released.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Temple of Elemental Evil yet. Like Knights of the Chalice, it's strength is the d&d turn based tactical combat. Be sure to get the newest circle of 8 modpack though if your gonna give it a go.

I have played that one as well :p Another great Troika gem that sadly was flooded with bugs. Like all of their games, ToEE should have undergone far more testing, but out of the D&D 3.X games, it is my favourite.

Okay 2 more:

Sacred (1)- sort of a weak Divine Divinity

and I second the vote for Venetica - an RPG with a Kings Quest feel. Although its a relatively new game, it shouldn't really tax your rig. I liked the story, I liked the game world, with a strong game world immersion but you can feel its console roots gumming up the works. Still, I will glady be there for any sequel.

Aye, I have played Divinity 2, though I have not finished it yet. It got a bit repetitive, so it is currently on the backburner, but I'll pick it up again relatively soon.

I've played Sacred 1 (but not 2), though I never really liked it. Venetica is on my "to play" list, and has been since MadCat posted a link to her let's play. Still waiting for the game to drop below the 15€ line, as I suspect that it will do so soon.

-Not a JRPG (unless it has an outstanding story. Xenogears was good,)

Xenoblade perhaps? If you have a Wii, that is. At least it came out in Europe. Nintendo of America made the incredibly stupid decision not to release it in the US even though an English language localization was already done. It seriously would have taken minimal effort to do a release here. That just boggles my mind.

If you don't have a Wii there may be, ahem, other ways to obtain it…but as Benita Butrell used to say on In Living Color 'You ain't heard it from me!'

I do have a Wii, and I have considered buying the game. I'm currently looking around to see if I can find a place that offers it for considerably less than average.

*edit* Found it. 320sek is not much for a new console game (that is roughly 32€). Most places sold it for ~50€. Now I only have to wait ~10days for it to get here...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom