Witcher Will you be importing The Witcher?

The Witcher
Green boobies? Scandalous. The insidious evil of the game has already taken over. I am compelled to go rip the clothes off the first woman I come across. Mrs dte will be so thrilled...

Actually, the dryad offers more than just green boobies...let's just say the curtains match the drapes.

Doh! *ra-ta-tat-tat* Thank you, folks. He'll be here all week.

P.S. btw, it's "the carpet matches the drapes"...

P.S. btw, it's "the carpet matches the drapes
I knew what he meant. But that does make more sense.

And by god, if a dryad can't run around naked who can?

Haha :D

Thanks guys and gals. This thread
just got fun (and interesting) again!

What was that about the dryads carpets & drapes? :D

Import from GoGamer.com.

Censorship is just wrong when done by anyone other than the creator(s) of the affected work. I don't care if it's a nipple or whole pages of text. Parents should decide what their children are exposed to until they reach an age where they can make those decisions for themselves. However when governments, churches, et cetera do it then that is evil and manipulative.

That's my opinion, anyway, and you did ask :)

Parents should decide what their children are exposed to until they reach an age where they can make those decisions for themselves.
Thing is, by rating it 'M' (or 18+), it *is* only for those who are old enough to decide ... you can die for your country, but not see nipples in a video game ...

Import from GoGamer.com.

Censorship is just wrong when done by anyone other than the creator(s) of the affected work. ... However when governments, churches, et cetera do it then that is evil and manipulative.

Only in this case it is not governments, churches or any other institutions that do the actual censorship. It is Atari. Being afraid to take risks and obviously convinced that the American market cannot handle adult games, they chose to cut, instead of doing the honest thing and not publishing at all.

CDP might be big in Poland, but a very small player worldwide. From what I understand they have also invested a considerable amount in the game's development. It is not hard to understand that when faced with the possibility of censoring the game or not publishing at all they chose the former.

That is the reason that in case i decide to play this game (I've learned the hard way to trust no preview and no hype), I will be ordering straight from the source. The downside is I can't speak a word in Polish, but I guess it will be only a matter of replacing some text files to get English subs, perhaps after torrenting the Atari version.

The upside is that Polish voice-overs sound like 10x times better :thumbsup:

That's my opinion, anyway, and you did ask :)

And thank you for answering.

Isn't the original (Polish) version also internationalized? That is, can't you pick your language on install?

I would like to play the game in Polish, but with English subtitles. I recently played a demo for a Hungarian adventure game in which there only was Hungarian voiceovers and English subtitles & text. It really added to the realism and ambience of the setting. People who have played STALKER like the Russian voices in STALKER, too, I think...

I would like to play the game in Polish, but with English subtitles. I recently played a demo for a Hungarian adventure game in which there only was Hungarian voiceovers and English subtitles & text. It really added to the realism and ambience of the setting. People who have played STALKER like the Russian voices in STALKER, too, I think...

Me too. I might even be able to pick up some Polish -- I'm fairly fluent in Russian and can get by in Ukrainian (or could, anyway, my Ukrainian has got to be pretty rusty by now), so Polish is just on the cusp of understandable. I saw With Fire and Sword (Ogniem i Mieczem) in Kyiv, and I could *ALLLMOST* understand the Polish dialog.

It's a great film, by the way -- if you're into full-on swords-and-cavalry-charges-and-romantic-subplots action (and if you aren't, what the hell are you *doing* here anyway?) and haven't seen it, you oughta.

[ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128378/ ]
[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Fire_and_Sword_(film) ]

I pre-ordered the cut, censored, conservative, stuffy, prudish,... evil? version of the Witcher from Gamestop a few weeks back. And you know what? I absolutely don't mind that nipples have been removed. It is really a ridiculous point to get all worked up over. I've got better things to do than worry about that. As long as the story remains intact, that's good enough for me.

And as opposed to what most of you believe, I absolutely feel that the increasing depravity of society today is largely due to the influence of entertainment. Claiming that what you watch or listen to doesn't affect your thinking is as silly as claiming that shooting yourself in the head won't have any affect on your mind. Whether or not a school shooting could have been avoided if that one student had not seen The Matrix is debatable.... but the influences have to start somewhere. Saying they don't is completely naive.

Matrix didnt have any nipples. Its violant film though. But of course violance does not need to be censored unlike teh nipples o doom.

Funny how game like witcher can come from a hardcore catholic country like Poland. I guess they havent had enough time yet to create proper censorship laws.

Claiming that what you watch or listen to doesn't affect your thinking is as silly as claiming that shooting yourself in the head won't have any affect on your mind. Whether or not a school shooting could have been avoided if that one student had not seen The Matrix is debatable.... but the influences have to start somewhere. Saying they don't is completely naive.

I don't think anyone here is claiming that what you watch or listen to doesn't affect your thinking. Of course it does.

However, I don't think you can point to any individual thing -- or even genre, or phenomenon -- and legitimately claim that there lies the blame. "If only that Virginia Tech guy hadn't see The Matrix" or "If only Dylan and Klebold hadn't played DOOM" is a red herring.

I believe that the problem is if people -- teens, children, adults, everyone -- don't get a wide enough range of different influences.

For example, if *all* someone does is watch Law and Order, or play World of Warcraft, or read the New York Times, or gossip with their friends, or watch CNN, or watch Fox News, or read the Daily Kos, or read the Free Republic, or read news.bbc.co.uk, they will end up with some pretty strange ideas about life, the universe, sex, other people, and the world in general.

What does that mean for parents? IMO this: encourage the kids to experiment with a wide range of things -- and exercise common sense about what's appropriate for their age and developmental stage, and do something if it looks like they're stuck exclusively on one thing -- never mind if that one thing is 19th century Russian literature or World of Warcraft.

"Everything in moderation" is a pretty good motto IMO. Watch entertainment shows on TV, watch the news, read the news, play some games, read blogs, participate on BBS's, talk to your friends, talk to your enemies, talk to your family... do *everything* -- and you'll end up with a pretty well-rounded, realistic, reasonable view on things.

And that includes the occasional exposed nipple, fountain of gore, or role-played session of bargaining with infernal forces.

Back
Top Bottom