Age of Decadence - Beginner's Guide

My advice is to NOT play combat characters as the creator of this game hates players killing his NPCs :D
It will ruin the game for you like it did for me.

Actually, I played as a Mercenary with good combat skills. I became a murderer of over 100 people - of course for money. I became champion of the arena and I managed to beat almost every fight out there through the use of nets, potions and other tools presented in-game.

In other words, you can't just hack-n-slash.

I became a murderer of over 100 people - of course for money.
image.php

It's so beautiful to read a guide like this. This is how games USED to be made 25 years ago. Back when RPGs were actually carefully crafted to play like pen and paper games and when intricate character creation and judicious use of skills actually mattered, and you had to use your head instead of mashing the awesome button over and over again.

You read things like these and you dreamed of what your experience would be like. It doesn't happen anymore sadly because games are about doing repetitive and mindless actions to provide instant gratification instead of using your imagination.

I sure am impatient to fire it up.

I'm with you there, HHR. I used to love a good manual, and smell of fresh print - reading about all the spells and potions. It's real shame that's been lost.

Uh huh. He was a mercenary! Didn't kill unless it was required or for money.
Just kill them all, for fun. :) No matter what, in the end it comes all down to money not being paid or expectations not being met. :evilgrin:

Anyway the game is supposed to be full release in three days.
Hopefully, Grimoire won't be out because I'd have a hard time to choose which one to play first. :evilgrin:

I'm more than a little surprised, but I actually agree with 100% of what you wrote there, HHR. :)

And that guide is a real nice read before the game is officially launched. Renewed my anticipation.

Question: from the beginners guide:
There are hidden skill checks in the game. If you come across a quest/encounter that looks like it only has one solution, there is a huge chance that there's an alternate solution available based on your skills or stats (Or even reputation). It might not be feasible for your character due to the requirements, but there's probably another way through. And by "Hidden skill checks" I mean some don't even show up in dialog unless you have a certain amount of a stat or skill.

Consider sitting on a cache of unspent skill points instead of spending them immediately. Both because you'll sometimes have to save skill points to be able to increase the level of skills you want, and because you never know when you'll hit a situation where one point of a skill makes a difference. If you're playing an assassin and focusing on daggers, dodge, critical strike, impersonation, alchemy, and streetwise, if you just spent all your skill points on daggers and your next mission has an impersonation check that would let you avoid combat entirely, getting that point of impersonation may be more important. It's a tricky balancing act in AoD, but having enough unspent points may free up your options down the line.

How will I know to put points into impersonation if the skill checks are hidden? Trial and error?

There are two ways to go about it.
If you just focus on the few key skills for your build then you should be able to get past most quests and dialogues without issues.

For example, as a merchant just focus on persuasion, streetwise and trading. This will get you through most quests without too many issues.

If however you want to power game and get to see and do a lot more then you would need to reload and try multiple solutions.

So, the answer in short is: it depends on how you prefer to play the game.

How will I know to put points into impersonation if the skill checks are hidden? Trial and error?

Perhaps someone who has played more recently can answer better than I can. I only played a bit when the beta was first released, but I recall a little text-adventure style situation, which did indeed show me my impersonation skill was too low to sneak past a guard.

I wonder if someone will ever make a game like this again..... probably not.

Unbelievably amazing in some ways and so limited in other ways!

I wonder if someone will ever make a game like this again….. probably not.

Unbelievably amazing in some ways and so limited in other ways!
That will be determined by its sales. Currently in early access it has around 11 000 owners on Steam.

That will be determined by its sales. Currently in early access it has around 11 000 owners on Steam.

I don't think they'll make another such a game even if it sells like hot-cakes.

If it does sell well, I believe they are making some turn-based RPG or such, but not AoD 2.

Perhaps someone who has played more recently can answer better than I can. I only played a bit when the beta was first released, but I recall a little text-adventure style situation, which did indeed show me my impersonation skill was too low to sneak past a guard.

Yes, but like the guide suggests, sometimes these are hidden if you're skills are too low.
I would suggest new players roleplay as the archetypes they decide to be.

A merchant should not be able to fight like a god, but would be good at persuasion and trading. so focus on those and maybe one or two other skills (streetwise is a good one)

As a fighter, try and focus only on fighting skills to start with and once you get to grips with combat then maybe start putting some more points into other aspects of the civil skill tree.

Hybrids are very possible but require more reloading or knowledge of the game's systems (possibly both :D)

Back
Top Bottom