Mass Effect 3 - Dated, Gameplay Trailer, Screens

Seems I was right the game will be released in march. Bioware loves march for some reason.

March 31 is the end of EA's fiscal year. March is their last chance to get as much revenue as they can before the fiscal year rolls over on April 1.

March 31 is the end of EA's fiscal year. March is their last chance to get as much revenue as they can before the fiscal year rolls over on April 1.

True as you know Bioware has to return EA's investments. As you can recall EA paid a shit load of money to buy them.

I wonder if any (would certainly be "former" and also likely "missing persons") CFO has ever made the mistake of expecting the EA board members might have a sense of humor and given them an April-1st-appropriate report.

Also - I hope the amount of time spent not ducking in cover is accurately represented by the game-play bits in there.

From the very little gameplay available in this video, looks like the game preview released from shooter's PoV is quite accurate. Some situations remind strongly other games like Halo 2 and Uncharted.

Well here is an extended gameplay walkthrough in two parts (with optional HD):

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/714901

and

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/714903

And here's a new feature interview:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/714887

All contain a decent amount of gameplay info and/or footage. Oh and apparently the Cerberus mech the tease you with is also a player-operable vehicle later. Kind of glad to see you get to fight along side Captain Anderson since he was built up to be someone of a badass (spectre candidate and all).

It does look like they've added some movements and abilitites that allow you to do more than just jump from cover to cover gunning and power-using as you go. It also looks like a lot of these features are mostly there to make the cover-shooter play less tedius rather than break away from it and that the "easiest" strategy would still be cover-hopping as it was in the previous game. At least it does look like they intend for that to not be the sole workable style of play though.

Some of the combat and level sequences look pretty interesting so far. They don't seem any less linear than in the previous title, but at least they feel far less boring and static. "It just exploded" is a far less boring reason for an apparent path to be cut off than "that isn't really a door but non-interactive scenery." Still, there's only so much of the dynamic and cinematic stuff that they can do so I'm sure side missions will still be chock full of those. At least we haven't seen an abundance of crate filled loading docks yet.

So right now I'd say I'm "cautiously optimistic" but more optimistic than I was a week ago.

Last edited:
Wow, those videos you posted jhwisner look surprisingly good. I'm impressed, my expectations just increased quite a bit.

Instructive vids.

They changed a lot of things for getting the battle more dynamics, to lead your own terms, to act rather than react. Offensive/aggressive play coming up.

Weapons are punchier no doubts about that, but they have to refine the distinct feel between weapons. I did not notice differences between an AR and a pistol aiming speed wise and range wise. The vid with Anderson shows Sheppard prevailing in a long range fight with his pistol.

Suppressive fire seems also rather absent. Not much cover to be given to partners so they move to position. Another point is that partners might be able to trigger their powers depending on the circumustances. Fight against shield man gets to think that. Or there is a button to release partners powers all in once. Could be the second solution. Depends on how it is played with a controller.

Back
Top Bottom