The Bard's Tale IV - Brian Fargo Answers and First Stretch Goal

...and that is fine with me. I like some random loot but I prefer hand-placed for planned encounters. There can be some randomness in hand-placed too. For instance, I might get 1 diamond and a +1 flaming sword or 3 sapphires and a + 1 mace of turn undead....

My guess is that it will be a mixture. Boss battles, special encounters, quest loot, hand-placed items in dungeons/chests will most likely be there, but also random drops from monsters as well. This is just a guess, though. I expect if there is re-spawning and random encounters that there will be some random loot as well.

That's how the original games worked as I recall. Random encounters= random loot. Set encounters= hand placed loot.

Glad to hear that!

I hope the game has a ton of loot variety as well. Rare drops from random encounters, high variety of different pieces of magical equipment, unidentified items, legendary items and so on.

I'm thinking I may need to play me a Bard's Tale game to learn more about the systems they use. Where can I buy good RPG graphing paper? o_O

Blob combat? Ah, no thanks. It doesn't matter if they display the characters or not. I'm utterly sick and tired of that gaming style.

Just received an update that backers will get Bard's Tale 1, 2 and 3 for free :)

Glad to hear that!

I hope the game has a ton of loot variety as well. Rare drops from random encounters, high variety of different pieces of magical equipment, unidentified items, legendary items and so on.

I'm thinking I may need to play me a Bard's Tale game to learn more about the systems they use. Where can I buy good RPG graphing paper? o_O

It's actually quite easy to get hold of maps for those games and I STRONGLY recommend doing so unless you're a total masochist!! :)

This type of founding, prepay through kickstarer etc, is leading in the production of games that disappoints with their quality that is lower than the promised one.

This type of founding, prepay through kickstarer etc, is leading in the production of games that disappoints with their quality that is lower than the promised one.

Sure. Or, this type of funding is letting games be made that major publishers would not do. I'm pretty happy with the quality of the items I have got...I usually only pay in 20 dollars or so....what should I expect for that?

If you mean that it doesn't have AAA graphics or what not then well...you had unrealistic expectations.

Sure, because the products of Bioware or Bethesda live up to their respective hype machines :)

Except of Jageed Alliance Flashback I havent really been disappointed yet. In fact the majority of games I play these days were funded via kickstarter.

1. It's not about graphics at all. The graphics are ok. It's about the quality of anything else, story is boring, uninteresting haracters, etc..
2. Bioware and Bethesda games aren't prepayed so you don't have to pay for them, if you dont like them. Just dont buy them.
It's not a good idea to prepay for the game because the developer will not invest more in the game if he already have collect the money. If he puts more money in the project, his gain will be presumably lower. Simple maths.

First of all, Kickstarter isn't the whole sum needed to finance the game.
Second: Kickstarter games also make big money once they are released, but only if they are good.
Third: If inXile wouldn't have delivered a good game with Wasteland 2, they would have had a hard stand with Bards Tale 4.

And to have a counter-example you can probbaly take Double Fine. They did 3 projects at once, and basically (even if I personally like Massive Chalice) they under-delivered with all 3 of them. And due to that they will hardly try it again on kickstarter.

It's not a good idea to prepay for the game because the developer will not invest more in the game if he already have collect the money. If he puts more money in the project, his gain will be presumably lower. Simple maths.

Developers don't generally have the available cash to fund games and have to wait for publishers to finance them. But publishers are risk averse and tend to only fund games that they know already will make money - such as FPS sequels. So Kickstarter has been a good way to get some diversity, even if some releases have been less than stellar -and that isn't something that is restricted to Kickstarter games.

2. Bioware and Bethesda games aren't prepayed so you don't have to pay for them, if you dont like them. Just dont buy them.

That wasn't your point though. You claimed that kickstarter games were more prone to be underwhelming, which is wrong.

And whose advice do you follow when deciding wether to buy a Bioware/ Bethesda game? The Dorito-purchased reviews? The hordes of raving fanboys? Or the few voices that say it's good/ mediocre but not as good as promised? Most people will try the game, and the more discerning ones/ the ones with better memory will be disappointed.

1. It's not about graphics at all. The graphics are ok. It's about the quality of anything else, story is boring, uninteresting haracters, etc..

Generally I'm against prepurchasing anything. But, if enough people are keen enough to risk their money so the game gets made, and I then get to choose what to buy, I'm very happy with that arrangement.

Is it just me, or is the pace of this kickstarter somewhat slow?

Is it just me, or is the pace of this kickstarter somewhat slow?

Yeah. It took off like a rocket and then ran out of fuel in an instant it seems. They went past $1 million in the first three or four days and then it slowed down to a crawl.
Going to be interesting to see where it will end up. They got plenty time left on the clock and we should probably see another surge by the end of the month or early July (payday for people).
They might also want to consider avoiding to run in parallel to any Steam sales with future campaigns.
Overall, it seems like $1 million might be their "instant pledge fanbase" so to speak (fans of classic RPGs, inXile and Wasteland 2 fans mostly).

Besides of the first day it's actually extremely slow and if you compare it with other projects at that time it has the biggest difference in Day 1 and continous pledges.

Personally I expected a little push when they released their ingame trailer at least...

Besides of the first day it's actually extremely slow and if you compare it with other projects at that time it has the biggest difference in Day 1 and continous pledges.

Personally I expected a little push when they released their ingame trailer at least…

I don't think there is nearly as much passing trade on Kickstarter as there was a few years ago, when it was an exciting new idea - and it is much harder now to get any funding without marketing (ie in the game press). Also, over the first few Days, they were offering free copies of games, which no doubt encouraged some of the traffic. In the light of that I think any daily figure over 20k is pretty good - and they need to keep at that level to get to over 2m, with the usual uplift at the end.

Besides a lot of people have been bitten by poor releases - Double Fine haven't exactly been brilliant for KS…

Back
Top Bottom