F:NV Fallout New Vegas thoughts

Fallout: New Vegas
A few notes:
- There's definitely level scaling in New Vegas. I cleared out Black Mountain at level 18 or so, and bumped into a bunch of Super Mutant Masters with the best sledgehammers. I tried the same at level 8 or some such thing last night, and met regular Super Mutant Brutes with regular sledgehammers.

- Boone is overpowered.

That's all I have for now.

I have a feeling he Boone is as well - he seems to be mopping up. I just send them in to do the dirty work!
Level scaling - lets hope its level scaling done right, if there is such a thing?
Will be on my way to Vegas City soon!, already 20 hrs in

DeepO or others further in, how much do you suggest leveling should be slowed down?
Late response, but I didn´t feel informed enough to give a good suggestion earlier.
Now that I´ve finished the game, I´d suggest 1.5x (makes exp needed for level 30 to be 100000 instead of vanilla´s 67000) as an optimal multiplier, or something equivalent, depending on how the chosen mod handles slowing down.
I never did any grinding, but explored all marked locations and did majority of available quests (log said I´ve done 71) and with the 1.5x I´ve reached level 30 just a step before the point of no return.
Anyone who wants to reach max level without excessive grinding shouln´t slow it down more than that.

Also, someone in other thread said it´s possible to max all skills in the game, I´d say that´s a bit exaggerated. Jack of all trades is definitely possible, but everything maxed is not.
With an 10 INT character, Tag! perk (adds 15 skill points) and Educated perk (+2 skill points at level up) taken at earliest opportunity and most skill books read I still ended up with:
u9ZVv.jpg

Granted, there is still too much skill points available, especially since magazines with Comprehension perk make maxing out some of the skills a bit redundant, but given my character was designed to get as much points as possible, I wouldn´t say it´s that bad.

I see they chose to eliminate separate skills for "Small Guns" and "Big Guns", I'm disappointed by that decision.

DeepO, how many hours did you log? I'm a bit surprised that you were able to explore every marked location already. Are there less of those than there was in FO3?

Does anyone know if you can play as an idiot? Loved FO2 for that part.

Pretty sure they do not have the low Int dialog as I have not seen evidence in the GECK. I agree that that was one most favorite variants of Fallout 2. I can understand why they did not add it but would have loved some extra dialog that made playful digs at the players who do min/max to extreme.

DeepO, how many hours did you log? I'm a bit surprised that you were able to explore every marked location already. Are there less of those than there was in FO3?
85 hours, I haven´t slept much :).
I wasn´t very thorough in exploring locations themselves though, played a non-stealthy character and haven´t tinkered with crafting or gambling.
There´s certainly enough content in the game, there just aren´t any extensive filler dungeons and such. Its design philosophy is much closer to Gothic than to
Oblivion.

Quick followup on the low int check. Apparently there are some checks as Ausdoerrt at NMA points out as well as some others.

Just got to Vegas. Seems like they thought of everything choices wise. Very impressed. Finally a decent RPG that kicks ass. Best since Witcher which could be pretty inconsistent.

Hit level 10 after 18 hours and I'm still around the Novac area. That sniper companion forced me to raise the difficulty to Hard because he killed most enemies before I could notice them. I enjoy most quests and the plethora of choices NV offers but I know too little about the big factions. Hardcore mode already feels like a chore and spotting a pre-order exclusive flask at wikia didn't really help.

I lost Boone somewhere. So I'm running around with Cass and King's dog.

Somehow? I hated the Oblivion companion behaviors. Impossible to control, getting lost or hung up on the environment, running into battle and getting themselves killed. Have they fixed all of this?

Well, an essential mod for me is Centered 3rd Person Camera http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34744
I hated the default camera view on the PC, this saved the game for me.

I'm enjoying the game so far. It has a lot of quests that take some time to complete and lots of exploring to do too. At about 18, I've pushed into the 'Strip' to see what it was about.. and wowee! so many quests!! I actually felt overwhelmed, so maybe they could work on that.

Factions is interesting, I did major work for one group and got idolized and 1 simple head removal from the wrong person and I was a punk to them.. yikes

I wouldn't worry about the levels so much guys, the game does move up with you. And things other than your level are much more important.

Cass came with a nice line of quests, which makes playing with all the companions at some point an interesting option for replays. If they're like her, they're not just extra firepower, but more story.

So many items to pick up and haul around.. sigh. I actually could go for a simpler version without so much micro management, but that's me. And playing it on Normal mode is hard enough for me too, I still have troubles with many of the fights.

There are some minuses, some bugs, I've tried 3 different characters through low levels and 1 had a broken quest that the others didn't have. I also don't think companions level up properly with you.. not fond of the new run animation, but the gals have a nice walk! ha!

All in all, I am thankful to be able to play this game and will be doing so for many hours I'm sure.

I wouldn't worry about the levels so much guys, the game does move up with you. And things other than your level are much more important.

That depends.. everyone plays differently. For the completists who like to explore every inch, and milk the game for all it's worth, it pays to get a mod that slows the leveling a bit.

The way I see it, there's no way to complete everything in New Vegas with a single character (it's impossible due to how factions work), so I might as well save a few locations for later. For example, I hardly did anything for NCR, which is a huge faction with tons of quests. Ended up completing the game long before level 30, even without mods to slow down levelling.

To see everything in F:NV, you have to complete it at least four times (and that is if you choose outcomes fairly systematically - otherwise it'll end up requiring more).

The way I see it, there's no way to complete everything in New Vegas with a single character (it's impossible due to how factions work), so I might as well save a few locations for later. For example, I hardly did anything for NCR, which is a huge faction with tons of quests. Ended up completing the game long before level 30, even without mods to slow down levelling.

To see everything in F:NV, you have to complete it at least four times (and that is if you choose outcomes fairly systematically - otherwise it'll end up requiring more).

I think you hit the nail on the head with this Maylander.

Not everyone tries to fly through their game at light speed. A thorough explorer could easily hit the level cap around the half-way point.

I'm glad they implemented the faction quests the way they did though. It's a shame you couldn't join a faction in FO3.

I hope that I'm able to get some of the gear that the faction I'm supporting wears. I want some fancy black armor later :)

I finished the game today after 65 hours at level 25 (hard difficulty/hardcore mode).
I completed around 90% of the quests/map locations.

Freedom for New Vegas! -> kicking the butt of Legion, Mr. House and NCR

I often avoided combat by smoothtalking. So level 30 is possible in Fallout NV if you do all quests and/or kill many respawns. I reached the level cap(s) in Fallout 3 + addons much faster.
I think I'll replay this game next year.

-> Recommened!

Not everyone tries to fly through their game at light speed. A thorough explorer could easily hit the level cap around the half-way point.

I am certainly no speed leveler, and I will find every stone and turn it before I stop playing FNV. We are not so different on this point.

Imagine, that when you stepped out of the Doc's office you were auto-leveled to 30. You distributed all your skills etc.. and then you begin to play.. as a full grown man ready to face the world. No levels, no XP points ever again. Instead you now know what you know and will face the world with it, win or lose.

You will learn crafts and recipes as you go, find items, weapons and armor as you go. You will still gain or lose faction, win or lose friends. That is what I would prefer, because that is role playing, instead of leveling. It wouldn't change the game play all that much or stop the exploring or the achievements that you could attain. I might do that with the console and try it, come to think of it! lol

CRPG-Meter:

Lets measure the crpg-ingredients for "Fallout New Vegas":

To determine if a game should apply to a certain level, all the mentioned demands must be fulfilled in that level and the levels below.

CRPG Categories:
Story, Characters, NPC-Iteraction, Gameworld, Manipulation, Combat

Other interesting categories:
Graphics, Sound, Game length, Difficulty, Perspective and Play-style.

Each category is divided into 6 frames from "none" to "Heavy" CRPG-elements giving a score from 0 to 5 points.

A games points from each category will be added together and then divided with 6 and will classify it's CRPG-score to the following

list:

* RPG-Elements Score 0 - < 1 point => "No CRPG"
* RPG-Elements Score 1 - < 2 points => "CRPG ultra light"
* RPG-Elements Score 2- < 3 points => "CRPG light"
* RPG-Elements Score 3 - < 4 points => "CRPG"
* RPG-Elements Score 4 - 5 Points => "CRPG Heavy"

The RPG-element categories and their 6 scores/frames
(STORY, CHARACTER, NPC-INTERACTION, GAMEWORLD, MANIPULATION, COMBAT)

STORY:
questions:
- How many quests, side quests, puzzles, riddles are in the game ?
Lots of side-quests, one big main quest with many branches, sometime overlapping with side quests.

- How great is the non-linearity of the game - can the quests be solved in more than one way ?
You can solve most quests in a non-linear order. Many quests can be solved in more than one way, depending on the skills of your character and your choices.

- How many side-stories, legends in books or from NPC's are told ?
Many side stories are told, many old stories, Emails etc. can be found in hacked computers.

- Are there different game-endings ?
yes. The main story has different endings, dependig on your choices. Depending on your action towards the factions of Fallout New

Vegas they are several ending scenes.

- Is it a game with many choices and consequences ?
yes, and often you get more dialog options depending on your skills.

rating:
No: 0 Points:
- The story is told in the beginning, and finished in the end, AND is not changeable during the game.

Ultra light: 1 point:
- A Few ”events” (NPC’s, happenings (Disasters, divine influences etc), Full movies interludes etc.) evolves the story, but still in a given path.

Light: 2 points:
- The story is developing through chapters or milestones, which still have an almost fixed path.
- A very few side stories/quests, OR noticeably different paths you can take to advance the same story, are available.

Medium: 3 points:
- The story develops as the game proceeds, meaning new information’s/events contribute for developing of the story on a frequent basis.
- Events (See above) impact on the story are considerable,
- The gamers actions have considerable impact on the development of the story.
- More than one path is possible in the ”main” story. Not necessarily more endings, just the possibility to choose between different “story” path’s of the “main story”. (Side quests not directly related to main story don’t count).
- A few side stories/quests besides the “main story” must be available.

More: 4 points:
- A few different endings are possible
- More than 2 ways to go through the story
- Lots of side stories/quests are required.
- Quests or tasks got often more than one solution!

Heavy: 5 points:
- Very open ended, with very high replay value regarding the story alone.
- Many events will contribute to many side / main story topics and respond to many different approaches from the player.
- Lots of books or other materials can give additional information’s about world for the interested player.

Fallout New Vegas (STORY): 5 points

CHARACTER:
questions:
- How many different characters can you play ? (race, gender, profession …)

chose your genderm stats, skills and traits freely

- How many different skills can be choosen for your character(s) ?

7 main stats (S.P.E.C.I.A.L. -System)
* Strength
* Perception
* Endurance
* Charisma
* Intelligence
* Agility
* Luck

13 skills (depending on the main stats,
* Barter
* Energy Weapons
* Explosives
* Guns
* Lockpick
* Medicine
* Melee
* Repair
* Science
* Sneak
* Speech
* Survival
* Unarmed

and many more perks

- How many different traits can be choosen for your character(s) ?
10 traits

- How many levels can be reached ?
Level 30

- How much can the character(s) be changed at each level ?
stats can be enhanced with a special perk when you get a new level
skills can be enhanced with skill points when you get a new level
all two levels you can get a perk

- How many guilds, groups can be joined ?
you can do quests for many different groups. You "join" a group if you wear their special armour.

- How many different ranks in these guilds can be achieved ?
No ranking - you can solve quests for these groups.

- Can you get a reputation ?
Yes - for each faction/group

rating:
No: 0 Points:
- No development other than a better weapon, armour and a few pre-distributed skill points after each chapter / milestone.

- Max 2 points to distribute on the character(s) abilities (Attributes /spells / treats / skills) each time they develop levels and

a maximum of 10 upgrades(Levels) of the character(s). Learning by doing covering the same amount of development is acceptable too.

- Max 5 points to distribute on the character(s) at least 5+ different abilities (Attributes /spells / treats / skills) each time

they develop levels and at least 10+ upgrades(Levels) of the character(s). Learning by doing covering the same amount of development

is acceptable too.
- A minimum of social development / regards in the game-world societies is necessary) (Wiping out a society/guild is not counting)

- More than 5+ points to distribute on the character(s) at least 10+ different abilities (Attributes /spells / treats / skills) each

time they develop levels and at least 15+ upgrades(Levels) of the character(s). Learning by doing covering the same amount of

development is acceptable too.
- The characters can have considerable social impact on more than one society / guild. (Wiping out a society/guild is not counting)

- Now a party of at least 3 fully controlled characters should be possible,
- The choice from different professions / races should give a combination of at least 10 possible different characters (Note:

Different mug-shots don’t count).
- Considerable social impact on more than 2 societies / guilds is possible. (Wiping out a society/guild is not counting)

- More than 10+ points to distribute on the character(s) at least 15+abilities (Attributes /spells / treats / skills) each time they

develop levels and at least 20+ upgrades(Levels) of the character(s). Learning by doing covering the same amount of development is

acceptable too.
- 15+ different races/ professions to choose from.
- Plenty of societies/guilds which the characters have a social impact on. (Wiping out a society/guild is not counting)

Fallout New Vegas (CHARACTER): 4.5 points (only the main character can be adjusted)

NPC-INTERACTION:
questions:
- How many dialogues are in the game ?
Many

- How many dialogue options do you have ?
A lot.

- Are these options depending on your skills, alignment or deeds ?
There are depending on finished quests, faction reputation and skills.

- Have your answers an influence on the game ?
Yes

- Have the NPC's a life of their own ?
Yes

- Is trading available / is it balanced ?
Yes and yes.

rating:
No: 0 points:
- Few NPC's most only merchants.
- Pre-determined dialogues.

- The dialogues now have a few options, but it still contribute to the same story, AND each choice is reversible in consequence.

- NPC's are presented in small societies, AND some of them can make a difference in further development of the game.

- NPC's acts truly as a part of a bigger community.
- NPC's in each society are much aware about social status also toward your characters.
- More than one society with NPC's are present in the world.

- There are fleshed out dialogue trees,
- Choices is most final and irreversible.
- NPC’s have considerable impact on the amount of Main / side- stories.

- NPC's are aware of the continuously developing situation in the game-world, AND react clearly to the gamers actions and deeds.
- More than 2 bigger societies of NPC's must be available.
- Reputation, skills, alignment, attitude etc. have considerable impact on the NPC reaction.

Fallout New Vegas (NPC-INTERACTION): 5 points

continue...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom