Nehrim questions

You made me wanna play this.
I sure hope it's not oblivion.

And one final question: I am thinking of buying the new fallout and witcher on ps3. You think it will be a stupid move? I mean, i never played this kind of rpg with consoles. Any advise will be appreciated

And one final question: I am thinking of buying the new fallout and witcher on ps3. You think it will be a stupid move? I mean, i never played this kind of rpg with consoles. Any advise will be appreciated

Not sure about The Witcher 2, but I would strongly advise buying the PC version of Fallout: New Vegas. One of the best things about games like that is the moddability of the PC version.

Thanks JD,
i thought about mods but to be honest i never used them in the past. I am not into changing graphics or getting more fancy armours. I tried one once for Oblivion that claimed it changed gameplay. It didn't work out for me.

Somehow i have high hopes for New Vegas so i am mostly for the gameplay. That is why i am thinking ps3.

@Ovenall, there is a difficulty slider. I feel the difficulty is fine at the beginning but I had to move it up a few notches as I got more powerful. I've got it at about 55% instead of 50. I'm in about 30 hours now and nowhere near the end. I just got started good. The 50 hour guess was folks who just follow the main quest and the odd dungeon. I like to explore everywhere and this world is huge.

I decided to give this a try last night so I downloaded the install program and ran it and...it hung. Or it was running reeaallyy slowly. What is supposed to happen when you run the install program? I tried running it both "as-is" and as administrator.

Let me ask all the typical questions: Did you install it in a totally seperate folder from Oblivion? What version of Oblvion are you playing? (Steam, D2D, GoTY, etc).
Did you make sure to not install to any Program Folder? Vista/Win7 really don't like games in the Program Folders. The game has a pretty detailed installation readme and if you mess a step up the game won't work. The game will take a while to install though, it's 1.6 gigs compressed and it takes a long time to install even if everything is right.

I've seen on the official forum that on some computers it can take several minutes or more to format so it seems like it's hanging but isn't. It took about 1 minute on my computer. Maybe it would be worth letting it go for 5 min or so to see what happens.

I remember it stopped for me too, guys. I think it's doing some type of crc check on the Oblivion install before it does its own thing, but I'm just guessing.

I just needed to let it run longer. I am not sure how long it actually took because I started it , left, and came back a while later and it was prompting me for "Where to install".

It looks really well done from playing for about two hours.

You're in for a treat, Bill. It's mostly Oblivion, but with pieces of Gothic where Oblivion was weak. I found I had to bump difficulty up just a bit from normal after I reached level 6 or 7, but other than that it's been a fun and challenging game. Design throughout the game is absolutely top notch.

I played some more last night and overall I really like it.

There are a few things I *don't* like:

1) The difficulty of an area is part of its name (like "Mines of whatever (Levels 1 - 7)". I know it is difficult in an open game to keep people in safe areas but there must be better ways than this.
2) The quest structure then leads you into areas that aren't safe. I was level 3 or 4 and the quest wanted me to go into a level 7-14 area where even a single foe was almost more than I could handle. At which point I was left wondering what I should do. I dislike having to wander around the wilderness killing random animals to "level up".
3) Some bodies aren't lootable. I came across a fight between some guards(? I think) and some wizards. The guards weren't hostile and the wizards were so I joined in. A the end of the fight the dead wizards were lootable but the dead guards were not.

There are engine issues (probably):
1) Bows seem even less useful than in Oblivion except for the "hop on a rock and kill the thing that can't figure out how to get to you" trick.
2) Foes sometimes run around like they are on speed. I shot a zombie-thing across the river from me and it started racing up and down the far bank of the river so fast I couldn't possibly hit it again.
3) Then a wolf came along and started fighting the zombie and the wolf fell through the terrain. Later it popped back out.
4) In the middle of a big fight with some bandits a traveler nonchalantly walked into the middle of the battle. His mule walked into my swordblow (a common Oblivion problem too). That got me the :thug: achievement and then the mule started attacking me. The guy the mule belonged to ignored me, though.
4a) I ran away from some bandits and they chased me into town. The townsfolk all started attacking the bandits and I tried to join in. It was impossible to avoid hitting the "good" guys and at the end of every fight the townsfolk would turn on me. I finally just let them finish off the bandits and looted the corpses.

Last edited:
Basically, regions are leveled so that you know where it's safe to explore. Dungeons aren't labeled, just the door back out to the region. The dungeons within a region will be safe for characters of the regions' level.

Back
Top Bottom