Skyrim - Telling Tales: Skyrim and Dark Souls

I just picked up Dark Souls for xbox360. As someone with a pretty sweet PC with 500 series geforce I really didn't like seeing all the framerate issues! I blame the LOD optimisation more than the aging hardware, but ageing hardware it is. Its still plenty playable, but in boss battles where death means starting the level again and losing all your souls and the boss smashes down a wall of physics blocks slowing u town to 15fps.... Well, its a worry, is what!

It would make a great PC game. You can pretty much be sure there's some deals going on and money changing hands for the exclusivity.

How hard is it?! Well, its really not THAT hard. I'm not very far yet, but most deaths come from traps and ambush kinda situations. Its pretty exciting and has a permadeath kinda urgency.

Also, that article just confirms my current belief that Eurogamer is an overrated site. Maybe its just their english articles, i dunno.

Skyrim is a great game and if it just had coop play similar to Dead Island I'd be able to die happy. Yeah, the melee combat isn't great again, but the fireballs have ragdolls and the quality of the world is just amazing. Great dungeons compared to oblivion.

I think the skills in skyrim should have been seperated into 3 colours and you get 4 points a level. 2 in main, 1 to subs. Just so you can get more out of your playthrough. I hate the feeling of "wasting" a point when i really want it in a REAL skill like 1h or destruction. Give us some throw away points to waste on the useless stuff like 20% easier novice locks.

hehe there I go ranting again, and i just wanted to mention the poor framerate in DS.

It would make a great PC game. You can pretty much be sure there's some deals going on and money changing hands for the exclusivity.

Dark Souls is a Japanese-developed game, I doubt that making a PC version even crossed the developer's minds. As far I know, there's barely a market there outside of things like visual novels.

So this article "Telling Tales : Skyrim and Dark Souls" refers to story-telling only on the console ? So this article is basically a console-only thing ?

Could it be that consoles kind of demand a different form of storytelling than let's say the PC platform ? Perhaps due to a different audience ?

Comparisons will inevitably get made between big genre games coming out in the same year. It's fun to compare what our favorite bits are of different games, but in the end there's no real need to get upset or go all tribal, because we can always play both. They are not really competing with each other. Any real genre fan should definitely play both, becasue they're both really good.

I love Skyrim as a sandbox game for making up my own story about my character. There is no end of stuff to do and a lot of room still to use your imagination, thinking about your characters motivations, what he wants to do next, whatever. I agree that the sheer volume of information is a bit overwhelming and I end up not caring so much about the story they are trying to tell, but I don't enjoy the story I'm telling myself any less for that when I'm playing it.

Dark Souls, though, I really do care about the story, and the less-is-more approach leaves me always curious and interested in whatever snippets of lore I can learn from the sparse dialogue, item lore, or even the architecture. Also, really love the precision of the gameplay and just the general mood. DS is my personal game of the year.

But, played both a ton, loved both, and can't/wouldn't knock Skyrim, also a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom