Fallout 3 Fallout 3 Mods

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
As much as I hated the story (THEY TURNED HAROLD INTO A FREAKING TREE and MUNGOOOSSSS) I do like the world (It's sooo pretty ;))and trying to survive in it. But it was too easy, even on very difficult settings the stupid game would give you more experience so you leveled up faster which for me defeated the purpose of playing on hard.

However I found a mod that made Fallout 3 somewhat enjoyable, at least challenging and more immersive than the vanilla version.

Get it here:
XFO Fallout 3 Balance Overhaul
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=334

Description of all it does here:
http://home.comcast.net/~xodarap777/XFO/XFO_Readme_Current.html

Quote from the maker of XFO:
Included in this rar are several "modular" (you pick and choose) esps. Overall, the mods rebalance the game, slow leveling, moderately increase difficulty, and enrich the game with greater depth and tactics, as well as provide a more meaningful character-building process. You don't need a new game, and you can choose new options every time you play!

There are far too many changes to list. The biggies are slower leveling, changed stats, change the way you level, hunger and thirst (I normally don't do hunger mods but this really added a lot of depth to the game because now all those different kinds of food actually meant something), radiation is now dangerous, monsters are more difficult, better gear for them, better aiming for them (they'll take your head off with a hunting rifle if your not careful) Money is more scarce and it's harder to get a good price on anything unless you actually upgrade your skills, drugs cost at least 10x, the list goes on and on read the homepage above for a more detailed description.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. It changes so much in the game that it feels like a totally different game. I wish they could change the actual dialog and story, my god that sucked....and BETH stop making Vault Tech so damn evil. Sorry, I keep getting sidetracked, but I really hated the direction they went with the vaults. Anyways, if you ignore the main plot and some of the side quests, the game is actually quite enjoyable.

Here are some of the other mods I used:
Fallout Mod Manager
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=640

Fallout 3 High Definition Pack:
(This is a must if you have a video card that can support it. Mine is Geforce GTX 260 and I didn't see hardly one stutter with this installed.)
http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/12/08/download-fallout-3-hd-texture-pack/

Talk Thing with Cruk - Mutant Radio BETA
(Adds another radio station. Funny!)
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2236

Josef Greys Makeup Face Retexture:
(A silly little retexture that improves the overall look of female characters. Don't know why Fallout 3 went with the beautiful scenery/ugly people option)
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=205

That's all I used. I had a lot more but XFO got rid of the need for a lot of the other mods.

If you're looking for more mods at the end of the webpage for XFO there are his recomended mods. There's a ton and some of them look quite interesting.

That's it folks, just wanted to share a couple of mods that made the game enjoyable to play. Have fun trying to survive now:)

Just a quick update to anyone who likes a more difficult world to play in.

The Fallout Balance Overhaul is now compatable with FOOK and MMM. Plus if I'm reading this correctly he added extra levels to the game without breaking it. In other words you can get even higher levels but you won't be a god raining terror down on the plebs this time(I'm not sure about this one, I haven't had time to try it out yet).

Balance Overhaul Mod:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downlo...ts/index2.php?tid=81918|:|fid=334|:|sort=DESC

FOOK
Fallout Overhaul Kit:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4448

Mart's Mutant Mod:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3211

If you've played Oblivion with this mod then you know Mart's adds tons of new monsters and NPCs.

FOOK adds weapons, rebalances weapons, adds apparal and basically takes care of what the other two didn't do.

I can't recomend these mods enough. Without them the game is horrible. With them the gameplay is improved a hundred fold. Now I'm just waiting on a main quest fix/side quest fix.

Last edited:
Pretty nice mods. Had to disable the food/thirst mod cause seems like it wasn't working (drinking from ponds, river and lake didn't count)

He hasn't been able to get around that bug yet. Inside drinking from faucets or whatever is fine, it takes care of your thirst or bottled water. But water outside like ponds and rivers don't count. Just carry around some bottled water or do what I do. Head back to megaton to unload your cargo then head. Go to your house, sleep so many hours, then drink from the faucet, eat your breakfast and then go get fixed up by the doc to get rid of the rad and any crippled lims healed.

It's a little tedious at first but once you buy an infirmary in your home, it makes it a lot easier. then your good to go for basically as long as you want. I only encountered a few times in my travels that I became hungry and thirsty while exploring(I'm always popping back into Megatron to sell my stuff so I'm always refilling at the same time)

Did you try MMM and Fook with it?....If you did be careful going underground those damn ghouls scare the hell out of me now. You can hear dozens of them running around and then BAM here they all come at once. You'll go through ammo quick, but they'll have the odd stimpack/radaway and bottle caps on them to make up for the ammo.

It's a REAL struggle to survive now.

No prob.

With a few mods, it turns this ol' game from sucking eggs to something worth playing for awhile. The scavenger rat in me loves all the stuff.

It's really difficult in the beginning. It took me awhile to get used to how many more monsters/raiders there are now and how much more difficult they are(They actually hide behind things now and use cover, sometimes) You'll probably die a few thousand times before you get the hang of it;)

I tried to activate the MMM with the Mod Manager but it keeps on crashing the game right after you start it. (press Launch Fallout -> few seconds -> crash)

Tried to play with the preconfig settings but the hunger/thirst thing got really annoying.

Yea, I like a little bit a realism in the game. Let me put it this way I loved Realms of Arkania 2 :)

As for MMM are you loading all three. MMM, FOOK and XFO's? I followed the direction exactly as they were written on the readme page and it works fine. I've crashed 3 times since loading those mods and I've been playing all week.

I think there is a way to get rid of the hunger/thirst mod. Read the readme for more details on how to do it. Anyways happy hunting. I'm only at 10th level and still getting my butt handed to me if I'm not careful. Stupid game now scares the hell out of me sometimes, like after killing a bunch of Super Mutants and I turned around and there was a Behemoth standing right in front of me. Didn't even see or hear him till it was too late, scared the beegeesus out of me.

I am waiting for quest mods that willchange/add intelligent multiple solution (including non combat) paths to the game...Hopefully someone willactually make these! It could be a while huh, or does anyone know of any in the works?

Seems like I only had the plugin and need to load the real thing (MMM)

How are you suppose to survive as melee fighter? My guy is "Pistoleer" and has only 5 endurance and at start he dropped from 1-3 melee hits (Now days he can take few bullets and probably 3-5 hits in melee) Does Endurance 10 make that much difference?

Fights are quite challenging. Just today met few raiders and they went totaly apeshit when they saw me :) One was throwing granades like a crazy and two others charged towards me with leadpipes. Had to take from quickload few times cause I wasn't fast enough to dodge the "nade-rain" :p

They are pretty good shooters too but have no change with the hunting rifle snipes from far away.

I'm don't think you can survive as a melee fighter. Maybe if you beefed up your Endurance, but even then with all the new guns and grenades it's unlikely you could get near them. Maybe if you had a sneaking/melee guy.

Watch out for those molitaf cocktails that the raiders throw. I get nailed by those all the time. Then you burn for 30 seconds or more and it seems I'm never fast enough to shoot them out of the sky. I could do that in vats mode without the mods, but now it's always 0% hit chance. Oh well, just run like mad then come back when they're all out of cocktails.

Back
Top Bottom