Jagged Alliance: Flashback - Update #2, Tactical Layer and Core Combat

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Full control has a new update for Jagged Alliance: Flashback. The update talks about various topics, and explains their vision for the game.
Core Philosophy of Jagged Alliance: Flashback

There is a great deal of speculation and doubts surrounding what we mean by staying true to the core and what we mean when saying words like “accessibility” or “modern”.

So lets just hammer this one into the ground right away.

“If it ain’t broken - don’t fix it”.

This is where some of the newer games got it wrong we think.
Flashback will be using the same mechanics for the tactical layer as Jagged Alliance 2. We are NOT dumbing anything down or replacing complexity with simplicity.

We will try to take a look at some mechanics and see if it’s possible to tweak and improve them. A prime example of this is stealth and fog of war. So read on.

But You Say You Are Not Making JA2

Yes - We are not making a new Jagged Alliance 2, we are making an all new game, but this does not mean that we’re moving away from the gameplay it pioneered.

We are making a new story - using the JA2 core tactical mechanics, selected pieces of 1.13 community patch as well as additions of our own.
A new story means we can include a new setting, dream up new missions and introduce all new enemies - but at the same time the current budget means we're restricted in the scope of the game in terms of assets and the total amount of mercenaries, which are a scalable factor of the final budget. However, all of these elements do NOT change the core gameplay.
Simply put, more money = more game content.

We don't just want Flashback to be a rehash of JA2, we want to ensure that the improvements made by the community are taken into consideration. We want to show you how AIM came about and we want to expand the backstories of your favourite mercenaries. We think these are ample reasons to make a new game for both new and old fans to enjoy!
More information.

Last edited:
My budget has been strained by all these kickstarters, but what if these guys can actually recreate a game in the Sir-tech mold, I am getting excited.

My budget has been strained by all these kickstarters, but what if these guys can actually recreate a game in the Sir-tech mold, I am getting excited.

Same here, very excited actually.

Back
Top Bottom