Obsidian Entertainment - Project Eternity Kickstarter Launched

Hnm, I feel like sour grapes saying this, but I want some more info about the game itself before I pledge. I know who's making it, I know which games inspire it, but what is the game, what sets it apart? What's interesting about setting and story?

No doubt there isn't a lot to go on, yet. But the street cred here is insane. It's like when Spielberg et al got together and formed Dreamworks. It's the RPG version of that. And so far they're saying all the right things. You just have to trust them.

I hate the fact that Obsidian gets a bad rap for bugs, when it is a PUBLISHER, not developer, who was responsible for QA on all of Obsidian's released games so far.

To be fair it was the dev, not publisher QA, who wrote buggy code to begin with. Instant pledge though :)

I hate the fact that Obsidian gets a bad rap for bugs, when it is a PUBLISHER, not developer, who was responsible for QA on all of Obsidian's released games so far.

Hnm, I feel like sour grapes saying this, but I want some more info about the game itself before I pledge. I know who's making it, I know which games inspire it, but what is the game, what sets it apart? What's interesting about setting and story?

I think they're reasonable questions but I'll bet they have a bunch of reveals queued up to keep the pledges ticking over, so you won't have to wait more than a couple of weeks.

Personally, I'd probably buy any Obsidian game but Obsidian + Infinity-inspired? I'd buy it regardless of any other factor, so I pledged before watching the video.

You're right, Ghan. I think this Kickstarter is more vague than the initial Banner Saga one, if that's possible. But I still backed it, though at one of the lower levels. Still have faith in Obsidian, though. I find it hard to believe they'll make a bad game, especially when left to their own devices. I think their rep for bugs isn't entirely justified. Alpha Protocol, for example, wasn't nearly as bad as people said. Half of the complaints were from shooter payers who didn't like the way the character walked in sneak and didn't understand it was more of an RPG with abstrated abilities than a twitchy shooter.

1. Auto-pause options, a la BG. Give me the option to pause every turn.
That can not work if the game isn't based on a turn-based rulesystem. That's what Feargus said in the Gamebanshee int.

This does cement a theory: People are willing to back big time, just based on an established name. Wasteland 2, and Shadow Run Returns aren't flukes. There is still hope for medium sized developers.
Judgement day comes when these pioneer projects realease (or not). There is still a good chance, the answer might be "Yes, but…"

I think they're reasonable questions but I'll bet they have a bunch of reveals queued up to keep the pledges ticking over, so you won't have to wait more than a couple of weeks.
That's what I hope, too. Because as GhanBuriGhan said, at this point it is a tough decision how many bucks it is worth. There are sometimes small things that can influence your opinion about a game, as for example the tech used for the game, the face of the main character or the invenory design (real complaints for broken sword 5).

Same situation but that kickstarter thing is better and better used: the limitation on the $20 offer is enough to get me in.

Wow! The music in the video gave me goosebumps (but that could have been the Benadryl). ;) Love the look of the map (reminiscent of the Forgotten Realms big campaign maps) and other artwork. Wish I could afford to donate!

Wish I could afford to donate!

You can't spare $20-25 in 31 days? You don't pay anything until the game is funded at the dead line, you know.

Am having a hard time with this one. I've never liked the idea of throwing money at a project blind -- particularly one that's been sold entirely on an emotional pitch -- and have always held just the tiniest little bit of sympathy for publishers, who do it on a regular basis hoping that they'll actually see some sort of worthwhile ROI.

It just sounds too good to pass up, though, so my real issue at this point is whether I want the collector's book @ $250.00, or just the collector's box @ $140.00.

Bloody hell, can't decide.

It just sounds too good to pass up, though, so my real issue at this point is whether I want the collector's book @ $250.00, or just the collector's box @ $140.00.

My problem was similar - it's not if I want the book as we all practically want it ;), but how much can I spare for the next 30 days. Since you can edit your pledge amount later, I've put 160$ (option 140$ plus 20$ needed for shipping) and if it happens I can throw more in next few weeks, I'll definetly do that with "manage your pledge" option.
I'm just saying, take the 140$ option now, as you can raise it later after you decide.

You can change your pledge until the deadline.

Just checked, it's about 18 hours since the the project got kickstarted and the total is almost 900.000$. Is it possible that 1.1M$ goal will be reached before 24h passed? Is it possible ppl want so much something EA, Ubisoft and alike would never bless? Seems it is. Although premature, I can only congratulate Obsidian on this small but important victory.

A rethoric question… How much would cost buying the rights on BlackIsle name from Interplay?

My problem was similar - it's not if I want the book as we all practically want it ;), but how much can I spare for the next 30 days. Since you can edit your pledge amount later, I've put 160$ (option 140$ plus 20$ needed for shipping) and if it happens I can throw more in next few weeks, I'll definetly do that with "manage your pledge" option.
I'm just saying, take the 140$ option now, as you can raise it later after you decide.

I'm also thinking about the collector's edition, but is it me or is it kind of light on content? I mean a cloth map, a patch and a t-shirt? They don't even include the physical collector's book until you pledge at least 250? That seems kinda skimpy on content. Or is it just me?

Don't look at it that way.
Instead use this logic. Would you kickstart 250$ on Obsidian game and get all those stuff from that Obsidian game, or you would rather kickstart DA3 that would be DA2 clone and get such book for less amount of money. Or take another consolefriendly recent RPGs to compare. Me, I wouldn't give a dime nor care for collector stuff in "modern" RPGs that we buy because we have no other choice and not because we love them.
This project is all about love. I've decided not to buy GW2 this month just to be able to throw more cash in the project Eternity. GW2 can wait, in fact anything can wait (except X:Com remake of course ;)).

I'm also thinking about the collector's edition, but is it me or is it kind of light on content? I mean a cloth map, a patch and a t-shirt? They don't even include the physical collector's book until you pledge at least 250? That seems kinda skimpy on content. Or is it just me?
You're definitely not the only one. I'm thinking the same, and there are several similar statements in the OEI forums and all over the web.

Unlike publisher made games, the collector's edition is meant for them to make money, probably in a larger profit than the $25 rewards level too. This is a fund raising after all. Everything past $65 is more about giving money than getting goodies.

Also, previous tier content is always included so you get:
  • 2 games (1 physical, 1 digital).
  • 4 physical items (map, patch, t-shirt and manual).
  • 3 digital items (soundtracks, collector's books, kickstarter's item)
  • 1 collector's box

Don't look at it that way.
Instead use this logic. Would you kickstart 250$ on Obsidian game and get all those stuff from that Obsidian game, or you would rather kickstart DA3 that would be DA2 clone and get such book for less amount of money. Or take another consolefriendly recent RPGs to compare. Me, I wouldn't give a dime nor care for collector stuff in "modern" RPGs that we buy because we have no other choice and not because we love them.
This project is all about love. I've decided not to buy GW2 this month just to be able to throw more cash in the project Eternity. GW2 can wait, in fact anything can wait (except X:Com remake of course ;)).

Unlike publisher made games, the collector's edition is meant for them to make money, probably in a larger profit than the $25 rewards level too. This is a fund raising after all. Everything past $65 is more about giving money than getting goodies.

Also, previous tier content is always included so you get:
  • 2 games (1 physical, 1 digital).
  • 4 physical items (map, patch, t-shirt and manual).
  • 3 digital items (soundtracks, collector's books, kickstarter's item)
  • 1 collector's box

Yeah, I guess you're right. This is mainly a fund raiser. Everything you get should be looked at more like a thank you from the dev. And not like you get this for that. Even though in the commercial world we live in that might seem kind of naive. But I'll still have to consider the project a little more. I hope they'll publish some more info on game world/lore before the fund-raiser ends. The only thing I find a bit dodgy is the fantasy setting. I hope they give it a good twist. And not just standard high-fantasy. But we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom