Steam Greenlight - Now Open

They're trying to keep it fair (seemingly) by shuffling the ones on the front page. Some stayed there quite a while though and got much higher visit counts than others. I suspect outside traffic is factored in to determine how high up your entry goes. That would make the whole greenlight idea lead to the exact same results as previously, basing inclusion mostly on existing popularity, which is probably exactly what they want.

I think it will work the way the workshop currently works, with the additional filter of excluding the projects you've already rated by default.

In a couple of weeks after launch, if you navigate to the main page, it will likely show the most popular (most thumbs up ratings) projects of the week by default (not the most popular projects of all time), and it will exclude any projects you've already rated.

As I am writing this FK is doing better than Battlefield 3. Let's hope it lasts :)

FK still at 0% (Underrail too), which gets me thinking there's really no reason for them to have set a goal in terms of number of favs yet so maybe everyone is still at 0%.

Also, leave it to me to be late for the party :)

From greenlight page
How many votes does a game need to get selected?

It's going to change during the first few days/weeks since we don't know what kind of traffic to expect. Part of the drive for this system is the need for customers to help us prioritize which games they want to see made available on Steam. So the specific number of votes doesn't matter as much as relative interest in a game compared with other games in Steam Greenlight.

We're going to be reaching out to developers as we see their games getting traction regardless of whether they have achieved a specific number of votes or are sitting 1st or 2nd place at any given time. We are most interested in finding the games that people want, not requiring them to always hit a specific number of votes.

According to this current % rating doesn't mean much so there is chance that good number of these games get on steam.

This "Zooloretto" game seems to be based on a very popular German board game.
It had not too long ago won the annual, famous "Spiel des Jahres" prize.

Edit : By the way, my feeling tells me that this is kind of a result of the "Satinav's Chains" debacle, where Steam outright refused to publish it, because - as the developer says - they claimed it wouldn't fit to heir customer base - and the developer had to team up with Deep Silver who had a better reputation in order to get it out on Steam (via Deep Silver, ot by the developers themselves).

Last edited:
Gave the ol' :thumbsup: to Frayed Knights, Expeditions: Conquistador, Project Zomboid and.Under ail, all worthy projects. Thanks for the.links, and I hope folks post more, as.I don't have the.time or patience.to sift through Steam's list. :p

Just barely woke up and discovered this. Yeah, I'm also upvoting Frayed Knights. Is there anyway to see how well a game is doing?

Just barely woke up and discovered this. Yeah, I'm also upvoting Frayed Knights. Is there anyway to see how well a game is doing?

Once you upvote a game you see a percentage, but it'll be stuck at 0% for now, until they determine a threshold to get promoted to pending status.

there's also the number of pageviews and favorites, and you don't need to upvote to see those. Besides these figures, I'm guessing the "conversion rate" will probably be taken into account as well.

I'll be posting UW soon, btw. Just so you know ;)

I know this is a little off-topic but seeing Inquisitor screenshots (specially the backgrounds, bodies, blood and architecture) makes me wish games never got to 3D.

Voted for Frayed Knights, Expeditions: Conquistador and Underrail for now.

Edit: It seems Age of Decadence is now up too.

Upped AoD. Thanks for the link.

Also forgot to mention I upped Inquisitor previously, just for the record. :p

Wow.. 20 pages worth of games listed already. I don't have time to look through all of them now, but I'll definitely vote for Underrail and Age of Decadence.

Just voted for you Charles!! Best of luck.

Thank you, good sir :)

It took me a while to get a handle on how to wade through all these projects, but I believe the intention is that you rate as many games as possible either up or down. Not necessarily whether it is a game you would buy, but whether it is a game you'd be interested to see on Steam. Say, for example, you check the RPG, Adventure and Single-Player tags, which returns around 60 games. Think of it as a sort of queue, and each game is cleared from the queue when you rate it either up or down.

In the case of the Steam Workshop, I don't rate anything down, and only click the thumbs up button for certain mods that I really enjoyed. However, for Steam Greenlight, I feel compelled to rate everything I look at either up or down, or it will remain in the queue and make it harder to view new submissions.

Last edited:
It took me a while to get a handle on how to wade through all these projects, but I believe the intention is that you rate as many games as possible either up or down. Not necessarily whether it is a game you would buy, but whether it is a game you'd be interested to see on Steam. Say, for example, you check the RPG and Adventure genre tags, which returns around 60 games. Think of it as a sort of queue, and each game is cleared from the queue when you rate it either up or down.

In the case of the Steam Workshop, I don't rate anything down, and only click the thumbs up button for certain mods that I really enjoyed. However, for Steam Greenlight, I feel compelled to rate everything I look at either up or down, or it will remain in the queue and make it harder to view new submissions.

You're going to spend a long time on Greenlight from now on :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom