InXile Entertainment - Interview with Fargo on Venture Beat

aries100

SasqWatch
Venture Beat has an interview with Brian Fargo on crowd-funding and how it may help mid-size developers. A quote from Fargo about this:
InXile has a variety of properties that could use funding and 15 employees. Fargo shopped Wasteland around to publishers, but they were risk averse and really wanted to games that had a chance to rake in $1 billion in sales. If he does the project on his own, Fargo can make the game edgier, with a gritty world full of moral dilemmas for the players. “The game industry has separated itself into the huge blockbuster companies and the independent developers in their garages,” Fargo said. “But it’s pretty hard to be in the middle. Is there any business model left standing for the mid-size developers?”
More information.

if he does the project on his own, Fargo can make the game edgier, with a gritty world ...

*slaps face* oh no. I can only hope he's putting words in Fargo's mouth here.

It's way too cold in my garage. I prefer the living room.

Gritty....Edgy.....Blah Blah Blah.

I would like to hear a developer passionate about making great tactical TB combat.

Can't see the reason for the negativity. He is completyl right if you are a US based company.

European publishers are a different breed, but they are much smaller.

I'm totally agree with Fargo. This business model can be the ultimate savior for middle-sized, independent developers. Maybe this way we can see new PsTs, Wizardrys, Might&Magics, BGs and IWDs or their spritiul successors. Fargo has my full support both morally and financially.

Don't get me wrong I'm all in favor of finding a way to fund games between indie and AAA. If Fargo comes up with a good proposition I'll back it. But gritty and edgy are buzz words much overused by mainstream US developers lately.

Wasteland, Fallout 1, and 2 ARE gritty and edgy compared to modern games. Murdering children and selling your wife are pretty god damn dark options.

Back
Top Bottom