What Combat System Works Best in Isometric RPGs?

What Combat System Works Best in Isometric RPGs?

• Real-Time with Pause

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Turn Based

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Real-Time

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RTwP for me, without a doubt. I've barely played any TB RPGs I enjoyed, but my list of top 10 RPGs of all time include several RTwP games.

I find it strange that so many advocate TB RPGs as the best thing since sliced bread, yet they're hardly ever mentioned in top 10 lists. There's basically Fallout and that's it. The rest are either RTwP (BG, KotOR, PST, IWD, DAO etc) or support several systems (for example M&M 6-8 or Arcanum).

I find it strange that so many advocate TB RPGs as the best thing since sliced bread, yet they're hardly ever mentioned in top 10 lists. There's basically Fallout and that's it. The rest are either RTwP (BG, KotOR, PST, IWD, DAO etc) or support several systems (for example M&M 6-8 or Arcanum).

That's because TB combat used to be a lot more common, and if you haven't heard about games like Pool of Radiance, Wizardry, or X-Com being in top 10 lists, you haven't been paying attention.

Also, most RPG fans enjoyed ToEE EXCLUSIVELY because of the combat system, and I think we all know that's the best part of the game.

You listed nothing but Bioware and Infinity engine games, and they're all games that came out after real-time became "the way" to sell RPGs to the mainstream audience.

Pretty much the same thing happened when RTS games were introduced with Dune 2 and its ilk - and it took forever until suits discovered that many people actually love TB strategy games, which is why we're seeing such a boom in that genre still. There's a reason the new X-Com and Civ games are selling like hotcakes, and it's not because people are deluded and mention TB just to spite you and other RTwP fans ;)

RTwP for me, without a doubt. I've barely played any TB RPGs I enjoyed, but my list of top 10 RPGs of all time include several RTwP games.

I find it strange that so many advocate TB RPGs as the best thing since sliced bread, yet they're hardly ever mentioned in top 10 lists...

Jagged Alliance games
Geneforge games
Fallout games
Exile/Avernum games
Wizardry games
Might & Magic 1-5 & 10 games
Gorky 17
D:OS
Blackguards
Avadon games
X-Com games
Kings Bounty games
Gold Box games
Incubaton games
Silent Storm games
Wasteland games
Shadowrun Returns
Return to Krondor
Betrayal at Krondor
Ultima III
want more ?

Jagged Alliance games
Geneforge games
Fallout games
Exile/Avernum games
Wizardry games
Might & Magic 1-5 & 10 games
Gorky 17
D:OS
Blackguards
Avadon games
X-Com games
Kings Bounty games
Gold Box games
Incubaton games
Silent Storm games
Wasteland games
Shadowrun Returns
Return to Krondor
Betrayal at Krondor
Ultima III

want more ?

Thank you for coming up with more examples ;)

I know there are many TB RPGs, but very few that are regarded as equal to or better than non-TB games, which is why I specifically said top 10 lists. If you read the top 10 list thread here, some games appear a great deal more than others:

BG 1-2
Gothic 1-2
Morrowind
PST
VTM: B
Arcanum
Kotor 1-2
IWD 1
Wiz 7-8
System Shock
Ultima 7
Deus Ex
M&M 7
Arcanum
Fallout
NWN
BaK
FNV

I might have missed one or two, but the point remains: TB games don't do too well when people are asked to list their favorite games.

Look in our top 10 thread

Might & Magic IV+V
Wizardry 6,7,8
Fallout 1,2
Jagged Alliance 2
Geneforge
Exile
Wasteland 1
Betrayal at Krondor
Gold Box games

are in many top 10 lists.

It's confirmation bias. Lots and lots of people list X-Com, Pool of Radiance, Jagged Alliance 2 and Wizardy among their favorite games.

I don't know why you're dismissing those along with Fallout 1, 2 and why you assume Arcanum isn't being played in TB mode.

TB games aren't as common, that's true, and there was a very long period of time from the late 90s until a few years ago when they were very rare indeed.

Also, you seem to overlook the fact that games are more than their combat system. Don't you think it's possible that people would love games like BG and Torment even if they were turn-based?

Wow ... what an amazing couple of lists of games. So many of my favorites are represented ...

When I thought about 'isometric action-RPG', my love for Divine Divinity, as well as enjoying Heretic Kingdoms and having fun with Sacred and not detesting the Diablo games ... I thought about them as more 'exceptions that prove the rule' that TB & RTwP are the systems in the majority of RPGs I love. No insult intended to Couchpotato :)

I don't know why you're dismissing those along with Fallout 1, 2 and why you assume Arcanum isn't being played in TB mode.
Please read what I write before replying:
Moving on..
Also, you seem to overlook the fact that games are more than their combat system. Don't you think it's possible that people would love games like BG and Torment even if they were turn-based?

That goes both ways. I would've loved Fallout 1-2 if they were RTwP, but in their current form I can't stand them. I just find it odd that TB as a combat system is so highly regarded in RPGs, yet games that implement it aren't.

Look in our top 10 thread

Might & Magic IV+V
Wizardry 6,7,8
Fallout 1,2
Jagged Alliance 2
Geneforge
Exile
Wasteland 1
Betrayal at Krondor
Gold Box games

are in many top 10 lists.

It's confirmation bias. Lots and lots of people list X-Com, Pool of Radiance, Jagged Alliance 2 and Wizardy among their favorite games.

I checked that thread before posting, to make sure my impressions were correct. However, I'm a rather thorough guy, so now I've counted the first and last five pages, so that's pages 1-5 and 36-41. I obviously missed 31 pages, but counting everything would take a lot of time, and 10/41 should give a good impression, especially since quite a few posts after the initial ones are mainly discussions and not actually lists.

The top 20 list for RPGWatch:
1. Baldur's Gate 2 (26 votes)
2. Planescape: Torment (23)
3. Gothic 2 (21)
4. Fallout 2 (17)
5 - 6. Ultima 7, Gothic (16)
7 - 9. Morrowind, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, Arcanum (14)
10. Fallout (13)
11. Wizardry 8 (12)
12. Baldur's Gate 1 (11)
13. KotOR (10)
14 - 15. System Shock, Gothic 3 (8)
16 - 18. Diablo 2, NWN, Wizardry 7 (7)
19 - 20. Might & Magic VI, Might & Magic VII (6)

It's worth mentioning that a lot of the votes are from 2006, and the trend in recent posts is to include games like The Witcher 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Especially Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas would likely have featured if we updated the votes.

All in all, that is a fantastic list to be perfectly honest. Now that I'm done writing it, I almost feel like counting the whole thing and making a thread about the result, but it's just a bit too much work.

At any rate, I got so fascinated by that list of games I almost forgot the initial reason for counting them: Combat systems. Here's a breakdown:
Real time: 8
Turn based: 4
Real time with pause: 5
Multiple: 3

Of course, this thread is about party based, isometric RPGs, which rules quite a few games, leading to the following numbers:
Real time: 1
Turn based: 2
Real time with pause: 3
Multiple: 1

In both cases, TB is somewhat well represented, but not to the point where it should be dominating any polls, so I stand by what I said initially: I still find it odd.

Please read what I write before replying:

I read what you write. Since Arcanum is a hybrid system, you should remove it from your list of RTwP games.

From you:

I know there are many TB RPGs, but very few that are regarded as equal to or better than non-TB games, which is why I specifically said top 10 lists. If you read the top 10 list thread here, some games appear a great deal more than others:

You included Arcanum there, which means you consider it a non-TB game. It's a hybrid game, so it should simply be excluded - as we don't know how people are playing it.

That goes both ways. I would've loved Fallout 1-2 if they were RTwP, but in their current form I can't stand them. I just find it odd that TB as a combat system is so highly regarded in RPGs, yet games that implement it aren't.

I know you don't like TB combat, which is probably the reason you have such a hard time accepting that others REALLY do love TB combat.

You still seem to be ignoring that TB combat was very rare for a long period of time - and that a combat system isn't the entire game.

1. Baldur's Gate 2 (26 votes)
2. Planescape: Torment (23)
3. Gothic 2 (21)
4. Fallout 2 (17)
5 - 6. Ultima 7, Gothic (16)
7 - 9. Morrowind, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, Arcanum (14)
10. Fallout (13)
11. Wizardry 8 (12)
12. Baldur's Gate 1 (11)
13. KotOR (10)
14 - 15. System Shock, Gothic 3 (8)
16 - 18. Diablo 2, NWN, Wizardry 7 (7)
19 - 20. Might & Magic VI, Might & Magic VII (6)

I really don't understand why you're including games like System Shock or Gothic. Such games are driven by action combat - and are largely based around visual immersion and exploration. Their entire design would fall apart with a TB combat system, as it would completely break the flow of the game.

You should be focusing on games that would work well with both RT and TB combat, in my opinion.

As I said before, TB combat has been a very rare feature for many years - and it's only recently come back.

I have NO Idea why you're overlooking the super favorable responses games like Wasteland 2, Shadowrun and D:OS are getting.

Are people lying when they're saying they love playing them?

What about games like Bard's Tale and Wasteland (the original). They're turn-based as well. Lots of people include them in their favorite RPGs. I certainly include Bard's Tale.

It's worth mentioning that a lot of the votes are from 2006, and the trend in recent posts is to include games like The Witcher 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Especially Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas would likely have featured if we updated the votes.

First of all, if we're speculating, I'd say games like Wasteland 2 and D:OS would be present in a new list as well.

All of those games except for Dragon Age have action combat. They would have to be completely different designs to work as TB combat. Mass Effect does have a semi-RTwP system, but it doesn't work very well. I doubt many people love Mass Effect because of the combat system.

You might as well say that Call of Duty is proof that TB combat isn't what people want in a FPS. Well, duh!

In both cases, TB is somewhat well represented, but not to the point where it should be dominating any polls, so I stand by what I said initially: I still find it odd.

Since you're including action-driven RPGs, why don't we just include RPG strategy games like Master of Magic, Master of Orion 2, X-Com, Jagged Alliance 2, Age of Wonders, Heroes of Might and Magic, and so on? That would seem to be only fair.

How many of the utmost classics have RT combat? That's right, none of them.

Again, you're including games with overall designs that wouldn't work well with TB combat at all.

I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of us said "it depends" when asked which system we prefer - and we did that for a reason.

I don't see anything odd about it at all, I really don't. There's a boatload of essential factors you need to include if you want to "prove" RT is actually what people want in all of their RPGs, and you're never going to succeed, because people really do mean it when they say they love TB combat.

I would put Divine Divinity on my personal list of all-time faves as the sole 'real-time combat' isometric RPG .. but that has nothing to do with your discussion ... :)

I would put Divine Divinity on my personal list of all-time faves as the sole 'real-time combat' isometric RPG .. but that has nothing to do with your discussion … :)

Yep, and last time I checked, isn't Diablo isometric as well? ;) I don't personally like the Diablo series enough to call them classics, but I'm pretty sure a lot of others do.

I read what you write. Since Arcanum is a hybrid system, you should remove it from your list of RTwP games.

From you:

You included Arcanum there, which means you consider it a non-TB game. It's a hybrid game, so it should simply be excluded - as we don't know how people are playing it.
Why quote me if you can't even read what you quoted? Who said anything about RTwP? That quote doesn't include it at all. It's basically TB vs anything else in that quote, and that's how it was intended. I did not, nor have I ever, included Arcanum in any "list of RTwP" games. Arcanum and M&M are mentioned because they offer a combat system for both crowds, which means they're simply in the "multiple" category, and certainly not exclusively in TB or RT or RTwP categories. It's really quite logical.

I know you don't like TB combat, which is probably the reason you have such a hard time accepting that others REALLY do love TB combat.

You still seem to be ignoring that TB combat was very rare for a long period of time - and that a combat system isn't the entire game.
I don't find it hard to accept that at all. I just find it odd that the TB crowd seems to consider mostly non-TB games as their favorites.

As for TB being rare - yes it was, yet it also dominated for a very long period of time, something RTwP has never done. It was used for a few years by two companies or some such thing, so you can hardly bring that up as a striking argument.

I really don't understand why you're including games like System Shock or Gothic. Such games are driven by action combat - and are largely based around visual immersion and exploration. Their entire design would fall apart with a TB combat system, as it would completely break the flow of the game.

You should be focusing on games that would work well with both RT and TB combat, in my opinion.
What the? Why I include this and that? I didn't include anything, I just counted! It's simple statistics. It shouldn't be hard to read a list and see how many votes each game got.

I have NO Idea why you're overlooking the super favorable responses games like Wasteland 2, Shadowrun and D:OS are getting.

Are people lying when they're saying they love playing them?

What about games like Bard's Tale and Wasteland (the original). They're turn-based as well. Lots of people include them in their favorite RPGs. I certainly include Bard's Tale.
Some people did include them yes. Wasteland and Bard's Tale got about 2-3 votes each, but not enough to make the top 20. They're basically on par with a very large number of games that all have 2-3 votes. The original Pool of Radiance for example, IWD2, KotOR2, NWN2, Realms of Arcania and so on and so forth. Massive list of games that got mentioned a few times here and there.

First of all, if we're speculating, I'd say games like Wasteland 2 and D:OS would be present in a new list as well.

All of those games except for Dragon Age have action combat. They would have to be completely different designs to work as TB combat. Mass Effect does have a semi-RTwP system, but it doesn't work very well. I doubt many people love Mass Effect because of the combat system.

You might as well say that Call of Duty is proof that TB combat isn't what people want in a FPS. Well, duh!

Since you're including action-driven RPGs, why don't we just include RPG strategy games like Master of Magic, Master of Orion 2, X-Com, Jagged Alliance 2, Age of Wonders, Heroes of Might and Magic, and so on? That would seem to be only fair.

Again, you're including games with overall designs that wouldn't work well with TB combat at all.

I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of us said "it depends" when asked which system we prefer - and we did that for a reason.

I don't see anything odd about it at all, I really don't. There's a boatload of essential factors you need to include if you want to "prove" RT is actually what people want in all of their RPGs, and you're never going to succeed, because people really do mean it when they say they love TB combat.

Like I said, I didn't include or exclude anything. That list is the top 20 of the Watch.

And, in case you missed it, I did count the "party based, isometric RPG" games in a list of their own:
Real time: 1
Turn based: 2
Real time with pause: 3
Multiple: 1

If you can't be bothered to identify the games, I'll list them for you:
RT: Ultima 7
TB: Fallout 1 & 2
RTwP: BG1, BG2 and PST.
Multiple: Arcanum

That list contains the most popular isometric, party based RPGs of the Watch. Simple as that. And I'm not trying to prove a point about which system people prefer, as that's the intention of the poll. I don't argue numbers. I just find it odd that it doesn't correspond with the actual games people seem to prefer, even within a series.

Take Ultima for example: Ultima 7 absolutely destroys the others in the polls, it's bigger than the rest of the series combined. Yet.. the combat system is a half-baked RT system which I think it's safe to say wasn't all that great.

Oh, but there are other factors! Of course there are, but given how much time is spent fighting in the Ultimas, the combat system can't just be ignored. It is no doubt an important factor, yet I can't identify what the impact is. Perhaps it maintains immersion better, which was always a strong side of the Ultimas.

Like I said, I don't know why this is the case. I'm sure there are many reasons, but I still find it rather interesting, and odd, that there doesn't seem to be much of a connection between combat system and game preference, despite how much time is spent fighting.

For that particular quote, I was talking about RPG strategy games.
If they had been mentioned by anyone, I would've counted them. I counted everything I came across. It's not up to me to act as a filter, who am I to say what defines an RPG for the people voting? We've tried to agree on that term for ages on the Watch, and we don't seem able to.

Why quote me if you can't even read what you quoted? Who said anything about RTwP? That quote doesn't include it at all. It's basically TB vs anything else in that quote, and that's how it was intended. I did not, nor have I ever, included Arcanum in any "list of RTwP" games. Arcanum and M&M are mentioned because they offer a combat system for both crowds, which means they're simply in the "multiple" category, and certainly not exclusively in TB or RT or RTwP categories. It's really quite logical.

Again, you included it as non-TB, like ALL other games in that list. You know it, and I know it. Why this denial? Ok, so the list wasn't just RTwP - my mistake. It was just non-TB - which was the point I was making.

As for TB being rare - yes it was, yet it also dominated for a very long period of time, something RTwP has never done. It was used for a few years by two companies or some such thing, so you can hardly bring that up as a striking argument.

I don't mean for it to be a striking argument, just a rational argument to support that TB games can't be compared directly with RTwP unless you understand the history of the RPG genre.

What the? Why I include this and that? I didn't include anything, I just counted! It's simple statistics. It shouldn't be hard to read a list and see how many votes each game got.

Yes, you actually included all the games on the list - which is what you're basing your argument on. I'm trying to explain why you won't get a fair picture if you include games that would never work with TB combat anyway.

That list contains the most popular isometric, party based RPGs of the Watch. Simple as that. And I'm not trying to prove a point about which system people prefer, as that's the intention of the poll. I don't argue numbers. I just find it odd that it doesn't correspond with the actual games people seem to prefer, even within a series.

Yes, and that's ok with me. I'm simply trying to explain why I don't think it's odd at all, but I guess I'm not being very convincing. Fair enough.

Take Ultima for example: Ultima 7 absolutely destroys the others in the polls, it's bigger than the rest of the series combined. Yet.. the combat system is a half-baked RT system which I think it's safe to say wasn't all that great.

Yes, and if you take note of what the fans are saying about it - they're nearly all mentioning the combat system as the major flaw with the game. Even diehard fans like GG on the Watch acknowledge that the combat system isn't very good.

Now, what does that tell you about RT combat systems and fans of U7? Nothing really conclusive, I guess, but it's certainly not an argument to support that they like RT combat.

Oh, but there are other factors! Of course there are, but given how much time is spent fighting in the Ultimas, the combat system can't just be ignored. It is no doubt an important factor, yet I can't identify what the impact is. Perhaps it maintains immersion better, which was always a strong side of the Ultimas.

Perhaps it's simply the rest of the game that's so great. As in, the interactivity and the scope of the world and how detailed it is? I'm pretty sure it is, actually.

Like I said, I don't know why this is the case. I'm sure there are many reasons, but I still find it rather interesting, and odd, that there doesn't seem to be much of a connection between combat system and game preference, despite how much time is spent fighting.

I still don't understand why you'd find that odd. It's as if you think combat has to be part of what people like about a game in all cases. Even if they DO like the combat, it's as if that means they wouldn't like TB combat more. Frankly, it makes zero rational sense.

I really don't know what to say, but you're obviously concluding things in a very different way from myself. I don't understand your logic, and - in that way - I guess I appreciate why you'd find the conclusion odd.

We just differ on that, I suppose.

If they had been mentioned by anyone, I would've counted them. I counted everything I came across. It's not up to me to act as a filter, who am I to say what defines an RPG for the people voting? We've tried to agree on that term for ages on the Watch, and we don't seem able to.

Yes, but if you blindly include everything without thinking about why the games could be there and, yet, NOT support your argument - you're not going to be very convincing.

But it's hardly a big deal.

I really don't see much point in going on about this. I've tried my best to give you my explanation for this "oddness" - and I've obviously failed miserably. You don't agree with me that the factors I come up with can serve as an explanation, and you're still thinking it's odd.

Ok, no problem.

I think I'm done here.

BG 1-2
Gothic 1-2
Morrowind
PST
VTM: B
Arcanum
Kotor 1-2
IWD 1
Wiz 7-8
System Shock
Ultima 7
Deus Ex
M&M 7
Arcanum
Fallout
NWN
BaK
FNV

I might have missed one or two, but the point remains: TB games don't do too well when people are asked to list their favorite games.

You can't use a top game list to determine what combat system people like.

For instance the witcher, gothics and skyrim would but high on my list but in spite of their combat systems not because of them.

Also every RTWP game I've played can be set up to play turn based, which is the way I play them. I turn off AI, set up several pause conditions and then pause and micro manage my characters. Otherwise the path finding and General chaotic behavior of the RTWP system would have been a big turn off.

So you could effectively change all your RTWP games to both which would render them useless in determining which combat system people prefer.

Anyway, my point is someone's all time favorite games are likely based on much more than combat system alone so to use that list to detemine favorite combat system just doesn't work. What you would need is an all time favorite games based on combat system list.

Favorite combat system and favorite all time games are 2 different lists and can't be used to validate or disprove each other.

RTwP for me, but that is just personally preference. Both systems are good and a cRPG isn’t good or bad because it’s uses one or the other. Both systems can also make piss poor games if the system is implanted wrong or the developers don’t understand how to make the system fun and engaging.

Definitely turn-based for me. I do like some RTwP RPGs like DA: Origins, NWN 2, Baldur's Gate etc. but I think it is in spite of their battle systems, not because of it. In fact I get so fed up / bored with BG's battle system that I have yet to play all the way through the 2nd game or even start Throne of Bhaal. If you want tactical combat, RTwP is a poor substitute for turn-based…

The only advantage I can see that RTwP brings is that if your party is fighting a horde of enemies… you can simply set them to attack and leave the room for a snack. But if one frequently encounters combat that easy, then I'd say that's a game balance issue or you should turn up the difficulty setting :)

I voted Real-Time with Pause because is my favorite style, but I play turn-based ones too. And real time for isometric RPGs I guess only works for action-RPGs (Diablo and his cousins)

Back
Top Bottom