Grimoire - Another Update to Whet Your Appetite

It kinda makes this site look like a bit of a joke to having news posts about Grimoire that are actually serious and intended to be taken at face value.

Seriously.

And why would that be???
This game might not ever see a retail shelf but the guy is a developer and he is laying out the development of this game. Have you been to the web site and seen what he's accomplished. Make no mistake, Grimoire may be the poster child for procrastination, but this is a real game. And it is a game I will pay for when it gets released.

But your "joke" comment really bothers me. Must all game commentary be ironic, sarcastic, sardonic or witty to have merit?

I was a BETA tester for this game like 14 years ago. It was actually pretty playable and seemed like it was headed to be a good game. Who knows now though if this will ever come out.

I wouldn't have even heard of many of these Indie games if it wasn't for RPG Watch which sets it apart from many sites. I love the mixture that is provided here of both mainstream and independent game makers.

It's a big reason I'm a fan.

And in all seriousness, while I do enjoy many modern mainstream RPGs well enough, it's just as often the indie titles that really grab me. There are just far more interesting things happening on that side of the fence, IMO.

It's been "may 3rd" for Grimoire for years, too! :p

Well our prayers have been answered gearbox is publishing and releasing the game on may 3. A collection edition called Balls of steel Edition.

dukenukemforever6.jpg

Attachments

• dukenukemforever6s.jpg
    dukenukemforever6s.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 93
And why would that be???

Because the game was meant to be released in 1998, then late 2000, then 2004, then Cleve decided he wanted to troll some more and reopened the site for Christmas 2008 or something like that, then it got postponed again and - wonder what? - next year another announcement appeared and our beloved game was coming out for next december! Guess what happened next?

Not to mention he was supposed to release (in 2004!) other two games, one of them being named recall exactly - something like Cresto Cruiser. It was bound to be released in middle 2004 - I'll let you guess wether it came out or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see it released, I've been starving for a game like this since Wizardry 7 and 8, but Cleve has been such a douchebag over this 15 years that I'm obviously not confident enough that the game will ever see the light of the day. Grimoire would be like… what? Cleve's first release since 1982?

Oh, and Cleve, how long till the Zeta-epsilonoid test phase?

I was a BETA tester for this game like 14 years ago. It was actually pretty playable and seemed like it was headed to be a good game. Who knows now though if this will ever come out.

I played the 1998 beta and I'm inclined to say the same thing - I liked it a lot for what it was (i.e. a very short and incomplete game with more than half of the features unimplemented/not working which, however, was the closest thing I've ever seen to a Wizardry 7 clone and sometimes it gave glimpse of greatness).

Because the game was meant to be released in 1998, then . . . . . . .

Yeah, I know all that but the poster just got my dander up when he made the "joke site" comment. This site is all about news on past, current and upcoming RPG games. Also, one of the reasons I come here is because it seems to me most of the people who post here really play games (and of course RPGs) and the posters typically have really solid takes on the games, instead of engaging in one upmanship on developers, posters, and publishers.

just saying . . .

I have mixed feelings about this. I can't say I recommend a quick release with upgrades because that didn't work out too overly well for me. But then again, he seems to really be going overboard with a 500 hours of gameplay promise, built over 15 years... Something that seems impossible to debug thouroughly (I'm assuming the game isn't linear, which in turn suggests on single playthrough isn't going to catch the majority of glitches, and at 50-100 hours per walkthrough, Windows 10 compatibility issues may not be far from the truth).

I have no reason to doubt that the game exists (Three people in this thread mentionning playing a beta, including Corwin playing it twice) but there seems to be a major issue of biting off way way more than he can chew.

But then again if the game doesn't have the weight the risk is having way fewer comments on the newsbit that announces the release than critical comments on update newsbits.

I'm also assuming Cleve has a day job, and therefore only a few hours a week to devote to development, art & writing and no budget to get help, which means 15 years, including phases of discouragement / burnout doesn't seem so unreal.

It fits the comparison with AoD (4 people working 5 years).

the games exists, I've played it.

The style of game it is I wonder how hard it would be to bug hunt...to be honest there were not a lot of bugs in the game I played...just a really crapy conversation system(which he has said he fixed)

I rememberit being quite fun though.

There were a couple of potentially killer bugs in the beta. Assertion errors also were a pain and many of the chests were empty, plus lots of convos were unfinished. However, if you knew how to avoid or work around them, the game was able to be completed!!

Back
Top Bottom