The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I saw Steve Hackett and the Genesis Revisited Tour a couple of weeks ago in NYC and have been absolutely obsessed with old Genesis since. Been listening to everything from Trespass to Duke and everything in between over and over again. My favorite is Foxtrot though

Nad Sylvan sang pretty much everything except Broadway Melody Of 1974. The drummer (Gary O'Toole) sang that one. There were no guest type singers like on the original Genesis Revisited tour.

Here is the setlist. It really was a ridiculously fabulous show.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steve-hackett/2014/town-hall-new-york-ny-4bcc57fa.html

Wonderful. I hope Hackett makes a round again through California.

BTW, here's their beautiful rendition of The Lamia. One of my favorites.

Last edited:
Ah, yes, it looks like there's a collection from 2013 where the youtube was probably ripped from:

Genesis Revisited: Live at Hammersmith Box set

but not this one, which has other tracks

Genesis Revisited: Live at the Royal Albert Hall

Why in the hell can't Amazon provide track listings? The last one even includes a DVD that's not mentioned in the listing. :?

Another wonderful track performed live

Carpet Crawlers

EDIT: And not to be missed, Genesis 41 years ago (gasp!) on Midnight Special (remember that?) playing tracks from Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme, including Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins.

Genesis - The Musical Box - Midnight Special - 20/12/1973

Genesis - Watcher Of The Skies - Midnight Special - 20/12/1973

Last edited:

Awesome stuff. I've really been memorized by Peter Gabriel from this period, and my god, Steve Hackett is amazing on the guitar. I saw Genesis live on the We Can't Walk tour, and Gabriel was hot at the time with his solo albums (with Shock the Monkey, Biko, Sledgehammer, etc), but I was kind of oblivious to this period of the band. I had Nursery Crime for a long time, but just considered The Musical Box a cool whimsical tune. Now I'm obsessed

It really is odd stuff. Now I have to read the lyrics again. There really isn't anything that compares (in my mind at least).

I saw Gabriel perform on his Security tour, and I loved it. He was still doing the pantomiming and facepaint. Shock the Monkey, I Have the Touch, Lay Your Hands on Me (as he was carried out into the audience) were highlights.

EDIT:

This is also great

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice! Peter was really freaky in this one.

EDIT:

OK, Here's another fun performance, before Gabriel went commercial.

Peter Gabriel - Rockpalast 1978 (full show)

Watching the morph from the more mellow Peter Gabriel of The Musical Box, The Fountain of Salmacis, Suppers Ready, etc to the edgier / angier Peter Gabriel of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and his earlier solo stuff (and live stuff like this Rockplast concert) is kind of shocking to me. Really the only comparision I can think of would be David Bowie (though Bowie may have gone from angy/edgy to mellow, in reverse of PG)

Well, he had edgy energetic moments in his older performances as well. I do have to admit that the newer performances appear more frantic. Solsbury Hill and Here Comes the Flood were mellow moments though. I think it's more the nature of the later music performed being more energetic, frankly.

EDIT:

For a change of pace, my God, are the Pixies still hot!

Pixies - SWU Brazil - October 11th 2010 (Full Show)

Too bad about the distortion.

EDIT:

Here's a much better recording (sonically and visually).

Pixies Come Home Tour - 02/12/2004 - Tsongas Arena

EDIT:
Peter Gabriel on the chance of a reunion tour with Genesis from a Rolling Stones "interrogation".
At the same time, a lot of hardcore prog fans are very frustrated at your refusal to do it.
Is that right? Well, I understand. I mean, if it was a band that I was a fan of I'd probably feel the same way. But in a way, you want to hang on to a moment that has come and gone. And you may be able to bring back a lot of memories of that moment, but you are no longer in that moment – and nor are the other ones.
So very true.

Last edited:
I'm currently fascinated by Elsianne's album : Hybrid. As someone said : "Fortunately Canada has more to offer than Céline Dion… :) While saying that I'd like to send kisses to Shawna, other there in Caribouland !

Regarding Genesis, last year has been very kind to me : :)

- At first, I could watch Ray Wilson play older Genesis songs with a small Quartet. You can hear an example of that on the CD "Ray Wilson at SWR". SWR is an German radio station, a well-known one.

- Second, I was able to actually visit Mr. Peter Gabriel's "Back To Front" tour which was sold out ! :) My sister had had the just great idea to give me a ticket for that on Christmas that year before ! :)

- Third, this year Mike & The Mechanics are in Germany again, even in Cologne ! - But I have no ticket for that yet …

As a sidenote, this week I was shown this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVWfqOSdzs4
They call themselves "Russkaja" , probably with the "j" pronounced like an "y" , as it is the usual pronounciation in German language.

Still stuck on listening to Genesis from the early 70's. It's really quite good. Having a hard time on deciding which album and tracks are my favorites as some get much better with more listens. I had forgotten how good they are. I think this is one of their most beautiful instrumentals (the first part, called "Hairless Heart"). It takes me places.

Genesis - Hairless Heart/Counting Out Time

Last edited:
Still stuck on listening to Genesis from the early 70's. It's really quite good. Having a hard time on deciding which album and tracks are my favorites as some get much better with more listens. I had forgotten how good they are. I think this is one their most beautiful instrumentals (the first part, called "Hairless Heart"). It takes me places.

Genesis - Hairless Heart/Counting Out Time

Cool - there is a ton of Genesis available on Amazon Prime Music (meaning I get it for free since I have Amazon Prime) ... I'm streaming The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway now :) Haven't listened to this stuff since ... hmmm, late 80s?

The Lamb really is a masterpiece even for all the so-called "filler" material. The production is spot on and the playing very tight. You can really hear a lot more going on in the remasters than the original vinyl. I think it helped them to put together something more cohesive to have a story guiding the music writing.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the one album that really should have been on my personal top 10 list, but which I always tend to overlook.

pibbur who, since he's leaving San Antonio tomorrow sits admits several lifeless packages. Customs and border controls in general frown on livestock being brought in by plane.

Yeah I'm still obsessed with the early Genesis too, although ive found some other prog rock groups that I never really have a listen to before, like Camel, Soft Machine, Gentle Giant, and Focus.

If I we're to rank my favorite Genesis studio work, it would probably be:
1) Foxtrot
2) Selling England by the Pound
3) A Trick of the Tail
4) Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
5) Nursery Crime

Back
Top Bottom