Champion runner to undergo gender testing?

Basically it's like this (if I remember correctly):

1. Ovaries or testicles?
The presence of a working Y chromosomes cause the primordial sex glands to differentiate into testicles. The lack of a working Y chromosome cause them to develop into ovaries.

2. Internal and external sex characteristics
These are determined from the hormones produced by the developed sex glands. Ovaries produce estrogen which causes the development of a uterus/vagina. The testicles produce testosteron which stimulates development of a penis, a scrotum.

Thus it's possible for an XY to develop as a female, if the Y doesn't work. The individual will be infertile - I'm pretty sure about that.
So, would you happen to know how popular these anomalies are generally among humans? Would it be physically and politically correct to call such a person handicapped?

Wow interesting. That pic JDR posted is hilarious tho, that's straight out of an SNL skit or something = ]

As for me, Ive always maintained that I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body

I was under the impression that a handicap should... well, handicap you in some way. As a quick rule of thumb, I'd say that if it qualifies you for one of those tags on your car that let you get the best parking spots, then you're handicapped, and I can't see how this falls into that category. The only handicap would come from people treating you like a freak, and from where I'm at, that's the part we should be working on.

capt.photo_1250713615687-3-0.jpg

This whole problem is because you enlightened Euros are a bunch of racists...
South African athletics federation president Leonard Chuene defended the teenager Thursday, and insisted Semenya is facing intense scrutiny because she is African.

"It would not be like that if it were some young girl from Europe," Chuene told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "If it was a white child, she would be sitting somewhere with a psychologist, but this is an African child."

So, would you happen to know how popular these anomalies are generally among humans? Would it be physically and politically correct to call such a person handicapped?

They are rare. As for your second question - in my opinion, no.

I was under the impression that a handicap should... well, handicap you in some way. As a quick rule of thumb, I'd say that if it qualifies you for one of those tags on your car that let you get the best parking spots, then you're handicapped, and I can't see how this falls into that category. The only handicap would come from people treating you like a freak, and from where I'm at, that's the part we should be working on.
Somehow I guessed you were going to reply with that tone. ;) Let's hear the doc's opion too.
Edit: Okay, I was too quick to reply. If they are infertile I suppose that also limits the spread of the condition somewhat.

No harm done. It's nice to hear opinions backed by some scientic research on any topic.

Looks like he agrees with me.

No harm done. It's nice to hear opinions backed by some scientic research on any topic.

I'm no way an expert. Disturbances of sexual differentiation is a highly specialized field. Back in med school we merely touched upon the basics. And that was a looong time ago.

But remember: "Infertility is hereditary. If your parents didn't have any children, neither will you."

What a weird story.

A former Finnish skier, named Marja-Liisa Kirvesniemi, chimed in on her side last week. It turns out that she was required to undergo gender testing in 1991. This was a bit amusing because she was already a mother of two, having given birth to her second child the same year. She was not amused, though.

team_marjaliisa.jpg

Oh now that is just plain absurd !
I mean Mrs Kirvesniemi's looks may not be to everyone's taste but she most certainly
does not look like a man.

And about the case originally discussed: couldn't those idiots keep a lid on it until the test results (not that anything could possibly have given them the right to make a circus out of it afterwards too) !

I mean it is disgraceful to subject a 18 year old kid to that (I hope someone is suing at
some point) ! Infuriating and hypocritical coming from the powers that be that have
turned classical sports to a multimillion dollar business, with all that it entails*, to produce super athletes for the sake of spectacle and the associated advertising
income…

/rant

*(Read: computer assisted training and scientifically guided diet aided by "Legal"
supplements which are available only to athletes rich enough or lucky enough
to score the funding or the sponsor. Not to mention the ongoing race to introduce
substances not yet illegal or detectable, sometimes it is rumored, in the knowledge
of some countries sports officials)

I believe the term is a Hermaphrodite - and obviously, this could be a significant advantage in terms of physical performance in sports.

Whether or not the person in question was aware of these advantages, it probably has to be called into question if she(?) deserves the medal.

I'm no expert, for sure, but frankly - as much as it might hurt her, I don't think the medal is deserved. Competition has to be done on a level playing field - so to speak.

Unless we stop taking gender into consideration overall.

Back
Top Bottom