Risen 2 - Steam Preorders Open

That's really disappointing. So it will be like Deus Ex or Witcher then, zero initial customization.

One of the reasons I liked ME series is that you play a fixed role buy you still can customize your charterer.

Nope you play a nameless hero just like all there other games.

Hmm.. most of the other Beta players I've spoken to have said it's a Day 1 purchase for them. I know it certainly is for me. There were things I didn't like in the Beta, but overall it left me craving for more.

I've been following impressions on this forum and on two other forums, out of maybe 30 or so impressions, 5-6 were positive or fairly positive the rest hated it or just wasnt impressed at all. But well, i've tried the beta now (let's not have a boring morality discussion about that..) and i have to say i like it and i will pre-order..

There were some few issues that i didnt like, like opening a chest or buying items is now on a separate screen. It really distracts from the experience and it doesnt fit at all in their games which are so much about the "immersiveness". A really bad design choice.

Combat seems "ok", but i also rushed through the demo (i didnt want to spoil the full experience). It's probably decent when you've gained skills for it, like in their previous games. It was really fluid though, i liked that.

The graphics is a mixed bag, but mostly fine. LOD's / popups are quite bad, a bit worse than Skyrim maybe.. Also, branches and bushes are shrinking and growing(?!) - that looks absolutely awful, hope that will be fixed.. On the whole it looks fine or even great at times, the lightning effects are very nice. It's disapointing that you can't swim, the game now even have water caustics, which looks really great.

But yeah i'm now sure this will be a nice game, the exploring seems intact too, i was a bit worried they had limited that part.

I've been following impressions on this forum and on two other forums, out of maybe 30 or so impressions, 5-6 were positive or fairly positive the rest hated it or just wasnt impressed at all.

I wonder how many of those people were familiar with PB's style. Could be they were just pissed off about the lack of quest markers. ;)

Oddly enough, I didn't even notice how different the chest/store menus were.

I'm concerned about the combat though, and I wasn't impressed at all by what I saw in the Beta. Like you said though, it probably improves as you get further into the game.

I'm also not sold on the concept of having a companion most of the time. Hopefully they prove me wrong and it turns out to be a positive aspect.

I believe i read in a beta thread some time ago that you cannot kill NPCs, or at least most of them. Can anyone confirm whether this is true? This is a big pet peeve of mine in an open-world game and went a long way in preventing me from enjoying Two Worlds 2, for example.

I wasn't very impressed with the beta, mainly combat. I pre-ordered anyway. Even in the beta the world seemed alive and that's a definite draw for me. Pb has never made a game with great combat imo anyway. I hope at some point dev's will start to think about combat.

I'm also not sold on the concept of having a companion most of the time. Hopefully they prove me wrong and it turns out to be a positive aspect.

Is that confirmed, they're gonna be with you "most of the time"? I think they've balanced this well in their previous games where they're with you for a short time.. They need to be a lot deeper than before for that to work i think.

Green Man Gaming has a 20% off all pre-orders voucher right now. That drops Risen 2 to $40 USD. For those so inclined. :)

Green Man Gaming has a 20% off all pre-orders voucher right now. That drops Risen 2 to $40 USD. For those so inclined. :)

Anyone know how that works? Does GMG just give you the key to add to your Steam account?

I guess what I want to know is... will a copy purchased from GMG preload and unlock the same time as one purchased directly from Steam?

I'm pretty sure I'll buy it eventually, but I really don't get the why people are so fond of preorders. It seems like buying a pig in a bag to me, why not wait for at least the very first impressions before you giving your money? It's not like Steam might run out of copies and you won't be able to get it when you want it. As for the dlc, big deal… I'll probably get the lot cheaper anyway when the game inevitably goes on offer in a few days.

I tend to pre-order a few days before so that I can download in advance and pre-load the game.

I think a lot of us had a good impression based on the beta. :)

I didn't get an opportunity to try the beta, but if there is a Steam demo I will try it and if I like it, most likely it will be a pre-order.

Anyone know how that works? Does GMG just give you the key to add to your Steam account?

I guess what I want to know is… will a copy purchased from GMG preload and unlock the same time as one purchased directly from Steam?

I've used them a couple of times. Foe Steamworks games, they literally email you the key and that's it. You add it to Steam and then it's the same as any game you bought directly (they have their own client for non-Steamworks games, though - be warned!).

The only catch is you don't quite know when you will receive the key. For one game, I got it several days before release and was able to pre-load. For two others, I got the key on/few hours after release.

I pre-ordered Skyrim through them cuz of some deal they had then and I got the key the day before. That's just the one though.

I emailed GMG and asked them when I could expect a key if I preordered from them. Here's their response.

Hi,

At the moment we have no word on weather this game can be pre-loaded on Steam. Currently we will be giving out keys on the release date. April 27th but this can always change.

Regards,
Clayton Victor
Customer Service Administrator

Might be worth buying from them if you live in Europe, but April 27th would be three days too late for me. ;)

Back
Top Bottom