Shadowrun Returns - Passes $1M, New Update

A lot of people just assume that the devs only have the best intentions, yet they haven't even bothered to answer a set of interview questions from RPGcodex.

Granted. But if they were just in the game to make a quick buck... there's LOTS easier ways than opening up dialog with jaded old gamers with chips on their shoulders ready to gripe about every last detail. We're a piss poor community to make decent money on (compared to more casual or younger audiences) and we come with lots more headaches.

It's untapped, but also a niche market to be sure. The profit/budget ratio of Risen is not as desirable as Skyrim. Moreover, AAA titles rely on sequels, because the development cost/advertising budget of an AAA title pays off with sequels. It's wiser to have a huge game, with a million sequels and spin-offs, rather than 10 average, innovative, interesting but forgettable titles.
I think AAA is overrated, it's just an average game with a huge budget and a gazillion sequels, the kind of game that fans pick up blindly, without asking questions.

I agree with you that most AAA titles are overrated. Skyrim is quite unique in the RPG market though, and I also think it's quite unique in the AAA market.

Though I love Risen, it wasn't a very ambitious project (after the relative failure that was Gothic 3 I think they just played it safe), but it will have helped building the PB brand. Even huge brands start off as something small.

I haven't followed this so closely, but this surprised me. The W2 Kickstarter page clearly states:
"It’s turn based, tactical, with a storyline that will be deeper and broader."
I considered that to be a clear commitment to TB. Is it not?

(Sorry wrong thread for this discussion, but I'd be curious anyway.)

It probably will have a “TB” mode. But I also feel pretty certain it will have a RTwP mode as well (i.e. Arcanum and FO:T), which means the game will be balanced around RTwP and the only reason to play in pure TB is if you are extra stupid and like to waste time when you could just click on an enemy and go make a sandwich.

I don’t want to go back and search for it but I remember one interview where they stated a hybrid system like FO:T was being looked at or something. Another where they said something about important game design decisions and three versus examples where given with the last being TB vs. RT. It isn’t one specific post or claim but the sum of the tone, people involved, and a mixture of big things and little things that seem to be paving the way for the eventual announcement.

If you consider the audience and its fickleness, the same audience that thinks NWN had great combat, and the fact that a game like Drakensung: River of Time is a flop to the same community that thinks BG:2 was the be all, end all, even though D:RoT was like BG:2 but with a much better rpg system and far more modern, maybe there is a chance? I highly doubt it though.

But, at the end of the day, I think they are going to shoot for the stars with a hit, and that means they will talk themselves into RTwP even if they would like to stay true to the fans and have only RT. I think shadowrun will know it will not be a smash hit and will try to cater to the fans. WL2 will try and cater to the biggest demographic that can be interested in playing a PC game with a non-triple AAA production value. Far more people have less refined and sophisticated taste when it comes to combat; hence games like dungeon siege being hits. These people have pandered for the biggest numbers for too long to make a TB game.

it would seem many live in either a "dog eat dog" world or a "fed with a silver spoon" one. kickstarter is a FUNDRAISING model first most, not a business model, and any comment or opinion that doesn't take that into account is trying to swim in the sky.

this also reflects that while the internet is full of possiblities it is also shows that many are even less "helpful" than they are towards others in the real world.

internet=selfish 2.0.

roqua your post is interesting and certainly valid from your perspective. it also a keen insight into why you like nothing but turn based. your thoughts/posts are very structured and to the point and i imagine that you are the type of person who hate being interupted before "your turn" is up.

I don’t know why you always target and harass me; isn’t there a place you can communicate with other people with special needs? You have no idea what you are talking about at any point in a post you have ever made. Corporations are fundraising models. What they are trying to get is capital. Raising funds is raising capital. Capital for the express purpose to employ people and for PPE to make a product and turn a profit. Also known as capitalism. Just like kickstarter.

Instead of turning to the traditional forms of capital they turned to their target market. Instead of the usual potential ROI the funders have the opportunity cost of not funding and not getting a game they may not have without funding, and the tier rewards. This is by definition a business model. This gives us insight into how they will deliver value and entice customers to pay for value.

You are correct, this is the internet. Selfish 2.0. The internet is always chock full’ o unqualified dickheads that say nonsense when they shouldn’t be anywhere near the big table. Some people should stick to trying to color in between the lines and other activities they have a chance of being able to do well at.

If you consider the audience and its fickleness, the same audience that thinks NWN had great combat, and the fact that a game like Drakensung: River of Time is a flop to the same community that thinks BG:2 was the be all, end all, even though D:RoT was like BG:2 but with a much better rpg system and far more modern, maybe there is a chance? I highly doubt it though.

Drakensang: River of Time got quite good reviews, but for me it was near impossible to buy. It had a region lock everywhere I looked, so in the end I had to use a proxy server to gift it to myself.

I haven't tried the game yet, but it's nice to see that you're so positive about it.

As for great turn based combat (in my eyes), I think I liked Might & Magic 6-8 the most.

I agree with you that most AAA titles are overrated. Skyrim is quite unique in the RPG market though, and I also think it's quite unique in the AAA market.

Though I love Risen, it wasn't a very ambitious project (after the relative failure that was Gothic 3 I think they just played it safe), but it will have helped building the PB brand. Even huge brands start off as something small.
I was actually talking about 'AAA' as a definition, not AAA games in general. Games generally advertised as AAA titles may or may not be overrated, and Skyrim is a great game indeed, but I wasn't talking about them.

Gamers and publishers have two different definitions for AAA games. While the definition of an AAA title should be 'a game of highest quality', it doesn't. When a publisher announces a new AAA title, they want you to believe it's a high quality game, whereas they are talking about a high budget title which in the end, may turn out to be pretty bad.

For those out there who are really irked by this, please hold off on doing anything like pulling your pledge. They have heard and recognize that there are people who dislike these sorts of bonsues and incentives, and will be posting an update regarding that this week:

Hey guys, thanks for the continued feedback. Just to be clear about a few things: The additional mission is a ‘thank you’ reward if we hit the 1.5m stretch goal – we aren’t suggesting that the mission itself will cost $500,000 to develop. As Jordan said in the video, we intend to use additional funds past 1m to add more depth and richness to the game overall – characters, stories, locations, props, and so on.

We’re also aware that many of you don’t want the mission to be only for Backers. That’s cool, and we appreciate the way the community is supporting one another. We’ll be addressing it in our next video update, this week!

Regarding the 2nd city, we’re going to run a backers-only survey after our Kickstarter time period ends (4/28/2012). (Kickstarter doesn’t allow backer-only surveys before the funding period ends, and we want to be sure to keep the decision purely for backers.)

And to your comment about community management Drizzt – yeah, we’re a very small studio. : ) Thanks for the understanding.

Hairbrained Schemes Website - comments on this update

It's possible they also commented in the kickstarter comments section, but they do seem to have a very small team (doubling community managment and other duties) so bear with them if they seem slow to respond - but they do intend to make an announcement regarding this so they aren't ignoring you. Remember also that they don't have those funds yet so while they will likely staff up for the project they have a small staff until then. So yeah, please don't pull your money out or anything just yet even if this does bother you, give them a chance to respond first if you can.

What a great response from Mike! You have to feel sorry for these studios, they try to do the right thing and whatever they do someone jumps down their throats...

I can't wait, and I have UPPED my pledge! :)

Daniel.

A lot of people just assume that the devs only have the best intentions, yet they haven't even bothered to answer a set of interview questions from RPGcodex. Do they care about what the RPG community wants, do they have a true passion or do they just want to make a quick buck? As for injuring a project by withdrawing a pledge, I don't see it.

It's a matter of trust in the company founder. Jordan Weisman created Battletech, Shadowrun, Mage-Knight, Pirates (the collectible miniature game), and lots of other IPs. He founded FASA, WizKids, ran FASA Interactive, founded Smith & Tinker, and now runs a new startup Harebrained Schemes. He's a serial entrepreneur with a fascination for games and game mechanics. This is what he loves doing. I downloaded and played Crimson Steam Pirates (a small homage to Crimson Skies, another IP he created) and saw the mechanics of the Pirates game at work. He definitely knows turn based game design.

As for responsiveness, look at the office in the background of his videos. It's *one* office with about 10-12 people in there. This is a very small place and I don't think you're giving the guy nearly enough time to respond.

Drakensang: River of Time got quite good reviews, but for me it was near impossible to buy. It had a region lock everywhere I looked, so in the end I had to use a proxy server to gift it to myself.

I haven't tried the game yet, but it's nice to see that you're so positive about it.

As for great turn based combat (in my eyes), I think I liked Might & Magic 6-8 the most.

I thought River of Time blew the dark Eye out of the water. I don’t know why. The combat was crap mostly due to being RTwP, and this game was trying to compete with NWN in breakable barrels, and wins with the goddamn plants. This is the first game where I was able to control my OCD about clearing everything because the plants respawn and looting the animal corpses and skinning them just became unnecessary. I literally had more money than I can spend. I might like this game because it broke my OCD though.

I like the rpg system. The main quest wasn’t save the world. The town and people had a lot of character. It reminds me a lot of my first real crpg which I think had a lasting effect on what I think a great game world is—the first Quest for Glory. It has a wizard which is like the razzle dazzle root beer wizard with the mouse. There is pretty little choice and consequence but the side quests really make the game. The dungeons aren’t too long either.

Also, it might be the first crpg I’ve played in years which had a whole quest hub town area with zero killing, or that I got through without killing anyone until the last part and then a follow-up side quest.

But, my point was more about it not being a huge hit when everyone is making a big deal about BG2 being released on non-PC doohickeys. Because of the combat BG2 and the new Drakensang game will never be in my favorites pile but it makes no sense in my mind for one to be a run-away success and the other to be obscure.

I am sorry to say I am not a huge fan of M&M 6-8, but I did really like Wizardry 6-8. Especially 7.

A lot of people just assume that the devs only have the best intentions, yet they haven't even bothered to answer a set of interview questions from RPGcodex. Do they care about what the RPG community wants, do they have a true passion or do they just want to make a quick buck? As for injuring a project by withdrawing a pledge, I don't see it.

And obviously I don't think that Shadowrun alone will send a message to EA (I don't even have much belief in the project). Having said that, for the price of one copy of Kingdoms of Amelur you can fund five Kickstarter projects, and who's to say that within a year or two we won't see Kickstarter projects amassing $10 million or so? And that is just the crowd funding - there is nothing that says the devs can't put something into the project themself (like the people behind Grim Dawn have), and then you have the money from sales after the release….

For me the dream project would be to unearth a game or two such as Mount & Blade. Or perhaps a new Gothic?

The intentions are clearly stated on both the KS page and the video. They want to make a game they would not otherwise be able to obtain the capital or debt for. Please explain what it would mean for us if they had the worst intention instead of the best, if we take it as a given they still plan on making the game as described?

The shadowruns for the Genesis (I can’t remember playing one for the SNES) was not mind-blowing, but it was fun and worth playing. Worth funding the creator of Shadowrun to make a new crpg.

And of what benefit would having an interview with rpg codex help them at this point? The backers would go to rpgcodex to read the interview and then some might register to comment and then look around the sight. No good can come of that. If people cancel over a backer exclusive quest who knows what they’ll do if they end up perusing the codex. Rpgcodex is like RTwP combat; you just get overwhelmed by hordes of endless peons.

Having said that, for the price of one copy of Kingdoms of Amelur you can fund five Kickstarter projects

At one moment, donators for this project were around 1.500 and donations up to $ 600.000

They promised more than a fifth of a copy of Kingdom of Amelur.

Somehow, people will end buy the copy of the game twice.

It probably will have a “TB” mode. But I also feel pretty certain it will have a RTwP mode as well (i.e. Arcanum and FO:T),
Indeed.

A large number of socalled RTwP games are turn based.

The gameplay resolution engine is based on turns. But instead of playing one turn after one another, you can string a sequence of turns together. But the resolution is exactly the same.

Nothing inaccurate to call a socalled RTwP game turn based as the turn is the core unit.

Cant say i have ever seen a convincing argument for Tb over RTwP.
RTwP allows for the exact same tactical depth as Tb just without the forced micro managing and gives combat a better flow.
Going the RTwP route can also easily allow for a Tb mode with some minor ajustments.

The most convincing arguments can be found when comparing TB combat with RTwP in the games using them.

Compare X-Com and Silent Storm with Aftermath and Apocalypse. Compare Neverwinter Nights with ToEE. Compare Jagged Alliance 2 with Back in Action. Compare Fallout 2 with Fallout 3.

I'm not saying TB is inherently better because of the above, but that arguments FOR TB should be obvious after such comparisons.

RTwP allows for a better flow and, most especially, allows for feasible multiplayer pacing.

TB allows for micromanagment and gives a much greater sensation of being IN control.

In the end, both have advantages and disadvantages - and there's no way to determine the objective "best" approach.

Cant say i have ever seen a convincing argument for Tb over RTwP.
RTwP allows for the exact same tactical depth as Tb just without the forced micro managing and gives combat a better flow.
Going the RTwP route can also easily allow for a Tb mode with some minor ajustments.

It's fine by me to like RTwP over TB, but to say they allow the same tactical depth is pretty ludicrous. That's not to say that RTwP does not allow for tactics, can be challenging and interesting - but the whole way combat is played, how encounters are designed, what kind of tactics are available and how you think about them, etc., is just very, very different. So I agree with you that there are no convincing arguments that RTwP is bad, but the two approaches are different enough that each will have their fans that dislike the other approach.
Which is why it should be clear what they mean. If I read turn-based, I assume that classic Turn Based is meant, where each character has its own turn (although I would assume the combat interface would rather be graphical today, than text-based as in the original Wasteland). If they mean RTwP (with underlying turns or not), then they should say so, that's why we have that term.

I do, however, think such extra funds could maybe be put to better use, like denying pirates access. I get so sick of hearing about these thieves that just steal stuff like this, with no consequences whatsoever. It really ticks me off.

-Carn

Yeah, spend more on DRM. Great idea!

How about since Shadowrun is an old game they get back to a populous 2 kinda system where they showed you a head made of 3 parts and you had to flip through the manual until you found the right face then enter the code?

We could really enhance this system with some more serious consequences like being declared an unfit parent and having your children taken into care. Maybe castration for those without kids cos we don't need more of that trash polluting the gene pool, right?!

Having to be always online for singleplayer would give me some peace of mind knowing those fucking pirates are not getting things for free that I paid good money for. I just want to smash people in the face who pirate. Its ruining my life, pretty much. The industry can't make a cent.

As a legit user I know that when I have to fight through red tape each time I load my game its like a little cuddle of security from an angelic publishing wizard who's thinking of me before money in every thought he makes.

At least some form of goons/beating system is a historically proven system to get their attention. And, gosh, I do love a bit of spilled blood. On the face, on the ground. In pools. DRM and blood. So good. The more bloody the solution the more satisfied I'll be as a paying customer. Its not about me; its about how pirates are hurting me and where I'd be now if they never existed or were shot in the fucking face or torn into little bits or FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK IM JUST SO FUCKING ANGRY AT PIRATES ARRRRRGH.

The most convincing arguments can be found when comparing TB combat with RTwP in the games using them.

Compare X-Com and Silent Storm with Aftermath and Apocalypse. Compare Neverwinter Nights with ToEE. Compare Jagged Alliance 2 with Back in Action. Compare Fallout 2 with Fallout 3.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————
Having never player X-Com, Silent Storm, Aftermath or Apocalypse i cant really comment but your other two examples makes no sense at all as the differing factors are far to numerus to be boiled down to Tb vs RTwP.
A better comparison would be Fallout 2 vs baldurs gate wich if i remember correctly came out around the same time and was aimed at the same audience. Neither game has more tactical depth then the other unless you consider having to constantly move out of your followers line of fire a tactical decision.
You mentioned toee wich would be better compared to icewind dale as both are combat oriented and again both require the same amount of planning in combat.

@GhanBuriGhan
Aside from having to micro manage your followers every action wich in my opinon only increases annoyance rather then difficulty how do you feel Tb can add more challenge or depth then what can be done with RTwP?
I agree that they should be clear on their definition of "tactical-turnbased-rpg" as it could mean either system or something inbetween. However i suspect the old school crowd are so starved for this kind of game proponents of either system will happily play it either way. I know i will.

A better comparison would be Fallout 2 vs baldurs gate wich if i remember correctly came out around the same time and was aimed at the same audience. Neither game has more tactical depth then the other unless you consider having to constantly move out of your followers line of fire a tactical decision.
You mentioned toee wich would be better compared to icewind dale as both are combat oriented and again both require the same amount of planning in combat.

Fallout 2 is primarily a single character game, and Baldur's Gate is a multicharacter game.

ToEE is a multicharacter game using a newer iteration of the same combat rules as Baldur's Gate. So that's a fine comparison, I agree. If you don't think ToEE has more micromanagment options and allows for a finer sensation of being in control, then I don't know what to say - except that I strongly disagree.

Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate are pretty much totally identical in terms of the combat system. Since we're talking about combat systems exclusively, I'm not sure why you prefer IWD - but the outcome is the same.

If i understand your argument correctly you are saying micromanagement equals difficulty? or atleast feeling in control?
If so my argument still stands as insofar as tactical depth is concerned as i dont consider having to tell your follower to keep attacking the same mob with their equipped weapon every single round as adding to depth or difficulty.
Feeling in control perhaps tho personally id only feel annoyed.
The same action would be automated in a RtwP system with you having to pause and issue a new command if you want to break from the pattern (ie make a tactical decision). Same amount depth as far as i can see.

If i understand your argument correctly you are saying micromanagement equals difficulty? or atleast feeling in control?
If so my argument still stands as insofar as tactical depth is concerned as i dont consider having to tell your follower to keep attacking the same mob with their equipped weapon every single round as adding to depth or difficulty.
Feeling in control perhaps tho personally id only feel annoyed.
The same action would be automated in a RtwP system with you having to pause and issue a new command if you want to break from the pattern (ie make a tactical decision). Same amount depth as far as i can see.

Why would you think I'm talking about difficulty? I don't think I've talked about difficulty at all.

The amount of depth is not the same at all. The evidence is in the games.

We can agree that it's theoretically possible to have, say, ToEE depth in a real-time environment (with or without pause). But that's theory - not practice.

It's ok that you feel annoyed with more control, but it doesn't mean the control isn't there.

Back
Top Bottom