Dark Souls II - $40 on Green Man Gaming

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Green Man Gaming is selling the PC version ofDark Souls II for only $40 after you use the following code O3H7FE-D4NFO0-F0LIGK at checkout. I have no information for how long the sale is good for so buy it now if you can't find it cheaper anywhere else.

More information.

I'm sorry but I won't support developers who say the "PC was the lead platform" and yet ship the game with only XBOX controller icons (no biggie but still), without the dynamic lighting engine, without advertised shaders, and so on. Maybe FROM was well-intentioned, but false advertising is false advertising.

How ironic it will be when DS2 releases maybe in the fall or Christmas on XB1/PS4 WITH the dynamic lighting system. Then the PC will be inferior to the console version…and do you think the PC will get a free or nominally-priced update? I doubt it.

Most deceptively marketed great game of the year? I think so.

Last edited:
Can't really argue with what your saying but I'll still be buying it.

I never believed pc was the lead platform in the first place. They went from " we don't know how to code for pc" ( the supposed reason DS1 port was so bad) to " pc is the lead platform for DS2". I don't think so.

I'm sorry but I won't support developers would say the "PC was the lead platform" and yet ship the game with only XBOX controller icons (no biggie but still), without the dynamic lighting engine, without advertised shaders, and so on. Maybe FROM was well-intentioned, but false advertising is false advertising.

How ironic it will be when DS2 releases maybe in the fall or Christmas on XB1/PS4 WITH the dynamic lighting system. Then the PC will be inferior to the console version…and do you think the PC will get a free or nominally-priced update? I doubt it.

Most deceptively marketed great game of the year? I think so.

see you at launch

see you at launch

No, I have plenty of games to play, as do we all. I can wait for a $10 or even $20 Steam sale price.

If they never had shown me the awesome pictures with fantastic lighting and shaders, then I would have been content. But to show me amazing graphics and then strip it all out...and still want me to pay the same price...that I cannot do.

Can you post a link to where From Software claimed that the PC was their lead platform for developing DS II?

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/zoom-dark-souls-ii-A108297.html

La démo présentée durant l'événement tournait sur PC. Cela signifie-t-il qu'une version PC est également développée en interne ?

La version montrée avant cette interview tournait effectivement sur PC. Si le premier Dark Souls avait été adaptée des consoles au PC, cette fois-ci, c'est l'inverse. La version PC nous sert de base, à partir de laquelle nous déclinerons les adaptations consoles. En clair, le jeu est développé simultanément sur les différentes machines, directement en interne.
Vous avez également évoqué un nouveau moteur graphique pour Dark Souls II. S'agit-il d'un moteur repris de zéro ou bien d'une adaptation de l'ancien ?

Bing translator:

The demo made during event revolved on PC. Does mean that a PC version is also developed internally?

The version shown before this interview was actually on PC. If first Dark Souls had been adapted from consoles to the PC, this time, it is the opposite. The PC version serves as a base from which we assume adaptations consoles. Clearly, the game is developed simultaneously on different machines, directly in-house.
You also mentioned a new graphics engine for Dark Souls II. Is it a motor taken from zero or an adaptation of the former?

It would be nice if Bing could translate that into something I could fully understand. :)

It sounds like they're saying it was developed for different platforms at the same time. Regardless, it's disappointing that the PC version doesn't take advantage of superior hardware.

Disappointing but not surprising. I've stated here before that I had doubts about From Software making a superior PC version. They simply don't have the background in developing games for the PC platform.

I don't mind the missing shadows and dynamic lighting, as long as it has proper and responsive mouse and keyboard support. Moreover, it runs on my 5 year old hardware - so I am happy:).

They did handle the whole affair pretty badly, that is true.

But they did make a decent port this time around. For me, higher resolutions, better textures and shaders, stable 60 FPS and excellent loading times make this the version to have (Much better than the muddy looking, badly performing mess that the PS3 version sounds like i.e: People talking about fps often dropping to the 20s, 20 second loading times when warping and all that with some really unimpressive IQ)… They are just not a particularly technically competent company from the sounds of it and their strength lies in the artistic side of things (my type of company ;) )

I am more concerned with all the criticism the game has been getting (from actual gamers i.e not the press) on practically every other aspect other than PVP and some of it seems to go in line with some of my fears for this sequel (World design i.e.). I am still eagerly anticipating it though and will make my own mind when I get it a few days from now :)

someone finished this game in one hour
It always amazes why people even try. They must have beaten the game already, or it just ruins the fun of playing. Here is a link with more information.

Link - http://gamingbolt.com/dark-souls-beaten-in-1-hour-26-minutes-exemplary-display-of-skill-shown

This is an amazing speedrun of Dark Souls. I can’t believe people have skills to beat the game like this. Although, this isn’t surprising as, if you know the levels well and enemy patterns well, you can blaze through the game as well. But in 1 hour 26 minutes? No way.

This is what this guy did and it is simply incredible. The video shows a lot of shortcuts, so if you haven’t played the game yet, stay out for spoiler reasons.

Demons Souls was beaten in 1 hour as well, so while the games are incredibly tough when you play them the first time, in reality, all you need is good concentration and proper knowledge of the levels.

As we were discussing the port's quality: Durante submitted his opinion (pcgamer article) on the matter, pretty much as expected.

Also good to hear that the M+K controls are solid from someone more reliable than your average journo :)

P.S. And a thread where the man posts some eye candy (may contain some mild spoilers ?)

Last edited:
I've never seen From Soft saying the PC was the lead platform. What they have said, though, was that they would develop the PC version for PC specifically, as opposed to port it from console. I suspect this somehow became "PC is the lead platform", but that is clearly rubbish.

Anyway, why would a console developer, who up until the port of DkS, had never made a game for PC suddenly promote the PC to their lead platform? That makes absolutely zero sense.

As we were discussing the port's quality: Durante submitted his opinion (pcgamer article) on the matter, pretty much as expected.
We most definitely were not. I was just doing the time honored tradition of posting off-topic as everyone does it on all my threads anyway.;)

Well the thread would have been pretty dry if we just discussed the discount.
An we did stay on the subject of DS2 this time ;)

Back
Top Bottom