WAR were declared

My problem with pvp in most MMOs is the ever present ganking of lower level players by high level ones. In AoC I have created a toon on pvp server by mistake and a quest which would take 20 minutes on pve server took hours on pvp one due to this. How is it handled by WAR?

On core servers it's impossible I believe. The game is divided into tiers of play and if you try and drop down a tier to attack lower level players your turned into a level 1 chicken, much like the toad in the Talisman board game if you ever played that.

I've been chickened more than once. Not fun, and sometimes not even close to your own fault. I was doing a public quest I'd missed (I had just turned level 12) and used one of my Chosen powers to shield everyone behind me while tanking the Hero in stage 3 of the quest. Well, a few of those people were flagged pvp so *I* flagged pvp. All I got to hear was the turning into chicken sound effect followed by the chicken death cry. :)

But aside from rare, really rare, situations like that I've found the Core ruleset pvp excellent fun. If you're too low level for a rvr zone, even open world, your level gets automatically bumped up to within three of max (so in a level 12 - 21 zone you get the hit points and stats of a level 18 unless you're higher than 18). So you're NEVER ganked by someone even five levels above you.

So far, so good. I dislike Chaos - Empire pvp scenario two... unless my side is winning it. :) But there's always the option of going to the level appropriate Orc or Dark Elf lands for their tier 2 scenario.

I finally got the game yesterday and tried it out. Man MMOs are a hell of a lot different than their SP bretheren. Well sorta. I'm playing a Bright Wizard (too many destruction classes on most of the servers so I decided to help out the good guys:)) Anyways first off I kept looking for a way to spend my experience when leveling up but there is none lol. I guess you don't really get to customize your character until after level 11 when you get to choose masteries. The core abilities can be purchased with no consequences.

I've been doing the PvE quests and then ran across a public quest. I have to say I like the public quests, but haven't been able to win one yet. Those stupid farmers keep getting killed before I can take out the champions. Sometimes there is someone to help out but most of the time I just fought it by myself. It looks I'll have to join a party before I can actually win one of those.

The RvR is fun. You just queue up and then it teleports you there when its ready to go. I've won 2 out of 3 of those. I noticed that when we won there was always someone leading the RvR. The one when we lost we were in a free for all and there were no concentrated attacks. I guess I'll actually have to talk in these fights if no one else will lol.

The biggest problem I'm having is delays. I have an ADSL line that I thought was pretty fast but I'm getting huge delays. Almost always I'll get an animation for one of my attacks and then it will freeze for a long time, then I'll catch up and the monster will have been beating me while I just stood there. Maybe I should try a tank class at least it will autoattack if that ever happens. I've set it to the fastest framerate, but that didn't seem to help. Also I've tried switching servers and that only made it worse. Is anyone else having these problems?

Anyways it's a lot different than what I expected and would be a lot of fun if I can somehow iron out the delay problem.

Edit: Nevermind about the delay. I must of been on some really slow servers yesterday. Funny thing is that I figured that I would have to use an Oceanic server since I'm in SE Asia, but I tried a North American one today and it was faster than all three of the servers I tried yesterday lol. Go figure.

I'm trying a White Lion this time, one question. With White Lions I read in the RvR battles I'm better at taking out magic guys but stay away from tanks, is that about right? Her damage is really low but I guess I'm supposed to use the White Lion most of the time, lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, you need more people to complete PQs, often just one one tank, one healer and one DPS career is enough except when you need to do a lot of stuff in stage 2.

About the White Lion: It's kind of the "mirror" career to mine, the Marauder. Your role is kind of a melee brawler. You won't survive very long if you rush forward into a large group of enemies in RvR, even with a healer on you. Instead you should focus on enemy melee (not tanks if possible) rushing forward, alternatively killing unprotected ranged healers and DPS (this is what you shine at, you want to go for Sorcerers, Shamans, Zealots, Maguses (Magi?) and maybe Squig Herders, in that order mostly). You also definitely need your lion with you as much as possible, I've heard it can account for almost half of your total damage.

I've got four characters that I'm spending time on: A Chosen (chaos tank) who is my 'main', a Magus (ranged DPS sort of), a Witch Hunter (melee DPS), and a Warrior Priest (melee healer) all at tier 2. I have to admit, I'm not enjoying the t2 scenarios as much as the tier 1s, but I'm really thankful they put the change in that let you queue for any from anywhere - the Temple is the only one I truly enjoy, win or lose.

About PQs... It's rare in the second tier zones to find enough people playing one when I am to actually win it, but I still have max influence per zone by clearing stage one between pvp scenarios a few times. Often the pvp match goes just long enough to reset the PQ, so it works for me.

Melee wise in pvp I'm enjoying my CHosen more than my Witch Hunter. It's probably the 62% damage resistance to melee, high block chance, and 52% elemental resistance (I gunned for it, sick of smarmy bright wizards arbitrarily roasting me). It takes an entire enemy team a good 10 seconds or more to actually kill me... as opposed to my Witch Hunter, who gets looked at sideways and dies. I really annoy the other team by doing 'stupid' things like using my shielding powers on our healers, stopping them from being instantly killed by bright wizards and witch hunters. The price I pay for surivival is that I can only reliably kill shadow warriors, bright wizards, and engineers one on one... but this is a team game so I don't mind. Any attacks 'wasted' on me aren't used effectively on our damage dealers and healers.

I am playing on order after switching because of the imbalance in numbers.

I prefer the destruction characters but will stick with order and the good versus evil, always a worthy cause.

My mainis witch hunter but am loving my alts power (a fireball flinging, breathing, lava summoning force of nature) yep a bright wizard.

Think the games great overall just hope there is more exploring to do later on as not quite feeling the Massive part of MMO, but will be sticking with it as everythign is just so cool.

I've unsubscribed from WAR. My final thoughts on it can be summed up easily: I found it better than WoW, but not better enough to keep paying for. After all, I unsubscribed from WoW years ago for a reason.

One of the deal clinchers were how badly the tier 3 scenarios also sucked. After all the fun I had in tier 1, then not a lot of fun in tier 2, and then not a lot of fun in tier 3... it was dissappointing. I found myself rolling up alt after alt just to go through the tier 1 pvp. Plus, I never really found a guild that were into doing Public Quests, which were my favorite aspect.

So ultimately... great game, but Yet Another Fantasy Game in the end. Bring on Warhammer 40k Online, though: I prefer science fantasy anyways.

Back
Top Bottom