Dungeons of Dredmor - Preview @ RPGCodex

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGCodex's MisterStone has done a preview of this game. As you remember our own Skavenhorde interviewed David Baumgart, the artist at Gaslamp Games. Here's a snip from the RPGCodex preview:
Another big difference between Dredmor and other roguelikes can be seen in the way food is handled. There is no starvation in Dredmor. That being said, in order to regenerate hit points or magic points at a reasonable rate, you need to eat food or drink booze respectively. Since in the Big Three roguelikes you can regenerate mana and hit points by just sitting around (often quickly enough that running around a post in order to heal yourself is a viable tactic), I don’t really see this as an example of dumbing down the genre. In the other games, you essentially trade food for hit points when you camp out (time not spent exploring makes you hungry and brings you closer to starvation), whereas here you eat something in order to regenerate.
More information.

I love their reviews/previews.

Very good and informative preview. Would have sold me to the game if I hadn't made my mind about it already.

My only (nitpicky) niggle with what I've seen so far: Those monster zoos are a bit too colorful (almost eye hurtingly so). Although oldstyle funny-cute is not usually my thing
I find the art direction in DoD very good but this needs (a tiny bit) of getting used to.
Still if the game is as fun as it looks I'll probably get over this in a couple of minutes…

I'm already sold for this game (I'm really fond of roguelikes), especially at the announced price.
The article at the Codex is surprisingly well written - seems they can maintain the quality of their articles, in contrast to quality of their forums.

Also, skaven, you seem to have an information, that this is going to be released on Steam? Is that really so?

LOL, no information really, just a hunch because of the price and their carefully worded "non-update". I have a feeling that Steam convinced them that five dollars was the way to go and from the trouble their having with this "large" distributor it just sounds like Steam to me. Who knows if it's Steam or Impulse or GamersGate, but I'm willing to bet it's Steam.

I hope they release the next one by themselves and then a major distributor. I'd much prefer to buy the game directly from them, but I'm not against adding it to my Steam/Impulse/GamersGate library.

A thought just accord to me. They'd be perfect for GoG. They're already at 5 dollars which most of the games on there are. I hope I'm wrong and they're going to GoG. That would be perfect.

RPGCodex's reviews are almost always well written. They can be a bit heavy of the spoiler side at times, but still they take a good look at a game and surprisingly enough judge it on it's merits alone. At least that's the case I found with the reviews I've read. The forums are like a whole different entity.

Last edited:
LOL, no information really, just a hunch because of the price and their carefully worded "non-update". I have a feeling that Steam convinced them that five dollars was the way to go and from the trouble their having with this "large" distributor it just sounds like Steam to me. Who knows if it's Steam or Impulse or GamersGate, but I'm willing to bet it's Steam.

I hope they release the next one by themselves and then a major distributor. I'd much prefer to buy the game directly from them, but I'm not against adding it to my Steam/Impulse/GamersGate library.

A thought just accord to me. They'd be perfect for GoG. They're already at 5 dollars which most of the games on there are. I hope I'm wrong and they're going to GoG. That would be perfect.

RPGCodex's reviews are almost always well written. They can be a bit heavy of the spoiler side at times, but still they take a good look at a game and surprisingly enough judge it on it's merits alone. At least that's the case I found with the reviews I've read. The forums are like a whole different entity.

That would be quite a break for them, if they got it on steam! If this were the case the price would also make a lot more sense to me - on steam you can actually profit from impulse buys.

I also hope they get on GoG, as it SHOULD be possible based on that one GoG video from awhile back. Desura would also fit pretty well I think, in case Impulse becomes less....Impulse....on account of Gamestop's thinkings on Indies.

More the merrier I say.

Back
Top Bottom