Pillars of Eternity Beta Thread

Thank you for the info, azarhal!

The high combat speed + not much combat feedback seems to worry a lot of testers.

Thank you for the info, azarhal!

The high combat speed + not much combat feedback seems to worry a lot of testers.

Like I said, the combat speed might not be that bad beside movement speed (how fast stuff get into your face). Obsidian is reworking their pathfinding too so some stuff is weird (like characters running into walls or getting stuck on each others).

It's the lack of feedback that is the real problem and people thrown into an all new setting with spellcasters at level 5 with around 10 to 30 spells depending on the class. I have to read the spell descriptions each time I pause and I want to cast something. The rest seems to flow well to me.

I think some people might be a bit too trigger happy. I see a lot of complains about difficulty, but on easy I think the game is easier than BG1 was on the same setting. There is a lot more CC spells/ability in POE, players should use them...a lot.

I might start playing this tonight. I've been playing Risen 3 but I still don't get the allure of PB games, I guess.

I see a lot of complains about difficulty

Now I wish I was in the beta after all.

If testers complain about the difficulty after five minutes and get the game dumbed down for the release I will be pissed.

Stand firm, J E Sawyer!

If testers complain about the difficulty after five minutes and get the game dumbed down for the release I will be pissed.

Stand firm, J E Sawyer!

Well, there is bug that affect monster DT (Damage threshold) that increase difficulty out of the ordinary if you reload. So it might have been justified for some people.

Oh and people really don't like friendly fire too. Funny enough, I didn't know there was friendly fire until I got on the forums. It looks so much like BG, that I cast my spells like there was friendly fire anyway.

Oh and people really don't like friendly fire too.

Okay, you just made Obsidian $25.

They will keep friendly fire.

Coming soon to PoE beta feedback forums: The Opinions of RedSocialKnight!

I'm with azarhal here. It's hard to list pros and cons right now, though the potential of the game is very obvious. It looks great and it plays very smoothly. There are tons of options, but I have no idea what to do with it all yet.

I wouldn't say combat is too difficult. It's just a bit confusing right now, because it feels as complex as any Infinity Engine game, but without the feedback or prior knowledge of the system.

Beyond that, I'd say the relatively small beta world feels a bit.. quiet. There is very little going in the background, so it doesn't feel very alive. That could still be on their to-do list though.

Okay, you just made Obsidian $25.

They will keep friendly fire.

Coming soon to PoE beta feedback forums: The Opinions of RedSocialKnight!

Ahahahahah. I don't think Obsidian is thinking of removing it. If it wasn't there the game would be stupid-easy (throw AoE damage spells on frontlines while they hold the line).

I'm not in the beta, but certainly hope they keep friendly fire. Then again I was in favor of keeping the 'Identify' mechanic in ToEE that got removed due to player outcry.

One would think if JE Sawyer is serious about recreating the feel of the IE games removing the friendly fire will not be considered. I suppose the worst case could be allowing that option to be configured. Maybe make that a part of 'Easy' difficulty if it becomes a huge point of contention?

Keep in mind that people have a lots of criticisms right now, but they don't really know how to play the game that much either.

Yeah, I can't even remember the last time I felt this clueless when playing a game. It really is quite complex, and it will take some time to figure it all out.

First thing I have to say is that the game looks so much better than the Youtube promos have made it appear. They've really done a beautiful job with taking the classic 2D environments and scaling them up to look great on a modern monitor.

Well, I tried this for a little while and I can't say I came away impressed.

It doesn't look or "act" like a game that's a few months away. It looks like something that needs at least 6 months of polish and refinement.

I will say that it's an exceedingly faithful reproduction of IE games, though. Backgrounds are beautiful - but characters are… awkward and they blend into the environment in an unfortunate way.

The character system looks simplified, but - then again - 2nd Edition AD&D was already simplified. There's almost no class talents, and that's NOT the kind of thing you can just add by the truckload this close to release. I wouldn't expect much here.

The models look like typical Obsidian level quality - which means they're bad to mediocre - and has a certain amateur-hour look to them.

I really like the Cipher class.

I think the dialogue trees have a lot of potential, with a ton of little Torment-like differences based on stats and what not.

Obviously, it's too early to tell when it comes to combat - as it's clearly not finished yet. It looks ok - but feels very rough, and the AI is a bad joke. But I guess they're frank about it, at least.

But that's not how you want a game like this to look and function THIS close to release.

I hope it gets delayed, for the sake of the fans. It's the kind of game I could take or leave - but fans will be shattered if it's released in a state that resembles this.

Well, the backer beta was assembled some time ago for some live event/presentation, and the release is this winter, so the actual time between the beta build in question and the released version is probably around 6 months.

The character system looks simplified, but - then again - 2nd Edition AD&D was already simplified. There's almost no class talents, and that's NOT the kind of thing you can just add by the truckload this close to release. I wouldn't expect much here.

I have to agree here. I was pretty pumped for the character customization, but the number of talents is too small. Still, I guess party dynamics will make up for that well enough. At least the combat is so demanding (on Hard) that you use your talents way more often than I ever have in a D&D RPG.

Well, the backer beta was assembled some time ago for some live event/presentation, and the release is this winter, so the actual time between the beta build in question and the released version is probably around 6 months.

That's how they're selling it, yeah - but I'm still concerned that they'd feel this is a good backer beta.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "but it's an old build" - and though it can be true, it's also one more way to sell something or make it go down easier.

I have no stake in the game, so I'm not actually worried or anything - it's more a figure of speech.

But if I was a fan of Obsidian and this fan-service product, I'd be worried based on the beta. Not scared, but worried.

Not so much because of polish issues - but things like distinct lack of character talents and what looks to be a somewhat middling combat system.

Again, I don't think adding something as significant as talents at such a late stage is a smart way of developing or balancing a game. In fact, I think it's stupid and it shows a lack of design priority competence - unless they have some amazing hidden reason that I'm not seeing.

You can't go for "basic balance" and then add meaty talents in the last minute, unless you have all the work done behind the scenes.

But but….. We'll see soon enough, I guess.

I have to agree here. I was pretty pumped for the character customization, but the number of talents is too small.

Do people know that talents with pre-requisites that are not meet do not show up on the list at level up?

Do people know that talents with pre-requisites that are not meet do not show up on the list at level up?

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I suspected skill gain being coupled with talent gain, but that it didn't say so anywhere (in fact, the whole role of skills is mysterious in this beta).

edit: btw, changing languages doesn't work. It always gets fired up in German. And there's a problem with that - am I right that if you get a dialogue option involving a skill, you have to click right on that line? Because that doesn't work.

Well, that's nice and all, but when there are zero talents the first 2-3 levels - it doesn't exactly bode well for the total amount.

Stand firm, J E Sawyer!

Well, the beta isn't starting from the beginning of the game. You're dropped in as a level 5 character (I think, or something close) and so the combat you encounter is something you would get after a good amount of playing. Even with that, the devs have said they feel its still unbalanced and are working on that.

I decided to forgo my normal choice of a Paladin and try a thief. That was a bad choice for the beta since the 4 NPC's that are part of the test party already includes a thief. Going to start over with either a Paladin or a Barbarian.

Back
Top Bottom