General News - Developers demand damages from file-sharers in the UK

There's something I don't quite understand: Did each of the guilty party have to pay 10,000 pounds in cost and 6,000 pounds in fines? or recompensation? If they each had to pay 6,000 pounds in recompensation that's about 200-300 times worth the retail price for the game. Even if the recompensation was at first 300 pounds, 6,000 pounds would be like 20-30 times more the asking retail price.

I could sort of understand it if the 10,000 pounds in cost were for all the accused parties... as a total..

Last edited:
Over 40 true fallout fans in rpgcodex have allready publicly told that they will pirate the game:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=25847

First they spend year(s) hating the game and then at the first opportunity they jump to pirate it. I bet they never owned FO1/FO2 either. If they get caught I wonder If they would blame bethesda for ruining their lives?

Probably, yes. There's Stalin, Hitler, Saddam and anyone touching Fallout without being the original developers. Might have to squeeze out Saddam if making a "top three" list of the most evil people in the history of mankind.

On a more serious note, most over at the codex are just plain rpg fans like ourselves, but some are too fanatic.

There's something I don't quite understand: Did each of the guilty party have to pay 10,000 pounds in cost and 6,000 pounds in fines? or recompensation? If they each had to pay 6,000 pounds in recompensation that's about 200-300 times worth the retail price for the game. Even if the recompensation was at first 300 pounds, 6,000 pounds would be like 20-30 times more the asking retail price.
I think you're just confused by legal terms, which is easy enough to be!

1) There was only one guilty party.
2) The £6000 was damages - that's a bit of an odd legal term but it doesn't only include compensation for loss of sale and can contain other things to (eg loss of reputation, loss of retailer custom/future booking and so on).
3) £10000 costs - costs in this case means legal expenses and other expenses related to bringing the matter to court (evidence gathering etc.)

Back
Top Bottom