Bound By Flame - May 9th Release Date

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Thanks to a few posts from SpoonFULL and Morrandir we have information that Bound By Flame will be released on May 9th. Keep an eye out for the official announcement soon.

Thanks for the information guys.
smiley-wink.gif

Both Amazon and Shopto in the uk show that 9th of May is the release date:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bound-By-Fla…bound+by+flame

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/pc…bound-by-flame

If it is true, you heard it here first!
More information.

I recently finished Mars: War Logs and enjoyed it, though the combat was a little too much like a brawler for my tastes, though that didn't really detract too much from my enjoyment of the game. I am sure I will be picking up Bound By Flame sometime too.

All I know about that game is that it's still using silk engine, but on those few vids on their official site it looks as some highly improved engine version.
Dunno if anyone remembers silly reviews who said "Mars gfx looks outdated". Hell how can a PC game look outdated? It's not a bloody phonegame crap! I bet the same reviewers never say phonegames are outdated.

And since I adored Mars, I'll buy Bound by Flame instantly when released.

All I know about that game is that it's still using silk engine, but on those few vids on their official site it looks as some highly improved engine version.
Dunno if anyone remembers silly reviews who said "Mars gfx looks outdated". Hell how can a PC game look outdated? It's not a bloody phonegame crap! I bet the same reviewers never say phonegames are outdated.

I agree about the GFX part, that's one big reason I can't stand to read through many reviews. I didn't excactly adore M:WL, but I did like it alot more than I thought I would. If it weren't for you and other people on this site praising it it would have completely passed me by, so thank you. I will probably buy BbF at full price to suppoert these devs.

Though I'm a little sad that I most likely won't be able to play a mage (on my first non-demonic playthrough), I will buy it on release too. It features dual whielding. Hurray!

And I've seen a lot of potential while playing Mars: War Logs.

No matter the topic, phonegames it is :p

Played Mars: War Logs three times and enjoyed discovering new things, new companions and consequences of decisions with every playthrough.

In my last playthrough I got addicted to crafting (to craft the best weapons) and leveling up my technomage build - a real blast.

The stories in Mars War Logs are just excellent and it is one of the very few games where you don't feel that the world is revolving around you, and you are just a small part of larger events.

Their Silk engine is just beautiful - I only hope that they put more emphasis on the music in Bound by Flame, that's it.

One of the very few promising new rpg studios around.

The game looks nice. Hopefully Spiders will be able to avoid some heavy fantasy cliché and bring a little creativity into the story and quests.
Recently I saw one quest (reclaim the keep) from upcoming Dragon Age on video and it was example of boring generic design and nonsense stuff.

It would be nice to have a little logical puzzles in dungeons like "find levers and push them in exact order to open gate". But its unlikely. Spiders seems like talented studio but they probably dont dare to go too much beyond contemporary "ACTION rpg" standards.

Spiders seems like talented studio but they probably dont dare to go too much beyond contemporary "ACTION rpg" standards.

One the contrary, I feel that they are very original and creative in their stories, characters, and atmosphere (examples include mars war logs and of orcs and men).

The action rpg part is also far from typical - their combat system in Mars War Logs is one of the best in my view.

I still have to play Mars: War Logs (it's in my Steam library), but I really liked 'Of Orcs and Men', even if its gameplay wasn't the strongest. The game was solidly in generic fantasy space, but still felt fresh through its characters and story.

I have something of that same vibe with Bound by Flame. It looks and feels fairly generic, but it also betrays a certain creative energy that may - may - mean it's going to be a very pleasant surprise.

Man, I think I'm going to try Mars: War Logs now :biggrin:

One the contrary, I feel that they are very original and creative in their stories, characters, and atmosphere (examples include mars war logs and of orcs and men).

Yes, Mars has some originality and pretty good story that fits well into the game world and factions. It all works together. But I wouldnt say that its very creative. Martian society, land and history could be more elaborated etc. Its a matter of degree. Anyway, the game benefitted from its original setting on Mars. On the other hand Bound by Flame is set in more or less standard dark fantasy world so it will be harder to avoid some genre clichés. Hopefully the story wont be too simple and straightforward and ice lords will have some reason for their actions.

The action rpg part is also far from typical - their combat system in Mars War Logs is one of the best in my view.

Yes, combat is pretty good, but even very good combat is not beyond contemporary ARPG standards I was writing about. I mean things like above mentioned small logical puzzles. Or non-combat skills - usually there are none in ARPGs nowadays. Ok, Mars has crafting and some feats (mostly crafting based). So Bound by Flame could offer a little more, but I dont dare to expect too much.

One example:
In one video from BbF the hero has a quest to place some traps for defense. Usual linear design would be to guide player to predestined locations. But it will be more interesting if designers give player more freedom to place traps where he wants. And then let it influence effectivity of these traps. If player places them on bad locations the battle will be harder or will happen a little differently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom