Deus Ex: MD - Pre-order Program Killed @Wired

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Wired brings news on the cancellation of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's pre-order program.

Videogame pre-orders are a mess, which is why it's a welcome surprise to see Square Enix announcing that it's going to discontinue the controversial "Augment Your Preorder" scheme for the upcoming Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Square Enix cited "a resounding amount of negative feedback" as the reason for canceling the program.

It's become standard operating procedure in the past couple of years for videogame publishers to offer incentives like downloadable content to fans who pre-order their games.

Mankind Divided‘s pre-order scheme was more Byzantine than most, which is saying something. It was tiered, providing increasing amounts of rewards based on the total number of people who pre-ordered the game.

The final tier even offered fans who pre-ordered a chance to play the game four days before the official release date, the "everyone has to clap to bring Tinkerbell to life" of advertising gimmicks.

In place of the old program, all pre-orders and purchases of the Day 1 Edition will now come with all available rewards, and the game will be made playable to everyone at the same time, on the official release date of February 23, 2016.
From the Deus Ex website

Shutting Down Augment Your Pre-Order
2015-10-01 12:53:50

At both Square Enix and Eidos-Montréal, we've been listening to everything you've had to say about the Augment Your Pre-Order program. When it was first conceived, we wanted the program to give you more choice about what you received in terms of pre-order incentives - because we've seen in the past that when we choose those packages ourselves, and split them across regions, it has caused frustration. We quickly noticed that this approach created even more frustration than before, resulting in a resounding amount of negative feedback.

We've spent a lot of time reading through all of your comments, working to understand how we can try to make things right for you. After much thought and reflection, we decided to close down the program and make all of the incentive content available to anyone who pre-orders Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or purchases a Day 1 edition of the game. Additionally, the release date will no longer be changed in accordance with pre-order numbers, and everyone will gain access to the game on February 23rd, 2016.

Your feedback and input is of the utmost importance to us-- as it's your loyalty and passion for our franchises that gives us the opportunity to continue providing you with great gaming experiences.

To our faithful fans who've already pre-ordered: we will be taking care of everything necessary to ensure that all of the changes to the program will be automatically applied to your purchase. Meanwhile, we'd like to thank everybody for their feedback - we know this wouldn't have happened with a game that nobody cared about, and we're just focusing now on delivering a game that lives up to your hopes and expectations.

Thanks for your support!
More information.

the "everyone has to clap to bring Tinkerbell to life" of advertising gimmicks.

I like that. :biggrin:

I'm glad people didn't buy into this.

You still need to pre-order or buy on day one to get all the stuff and it's a lot of stuff now: 3 started customization packs, one mission DLC, a sound track sample with 6 tracks, a comic book, a novella and a digital artbook.

I'm sure they will sell the dlc stuff separately for those who don't preorder.

They will.
The "problem" with the preorder boni SquareEnix tried to do was you had to choose between possible stuff and never get all. No big deal if you ask me as the first tier was known and only one of possible "rewards" was good, the other two were crap. ;)

In any case, I don't care as long as there is no postgame DLC that will turn things upside down (ME2&3, I'm looking at you) and by adding it the game won't be the same as without it in a way I can't talk to people who have DLC and those who don't have it equally as the experience is totally different.

While I can't stand SquareEnix' pisspoor ports where Backspace is used instead of Esc, map is not on M and things like that, while I can't despise more their grinder that with another design could have been at least a nearmasterpiece (The Last Remnant), while I couldn't bare more torture for finish the only Final Fantasy I've ever bought (FF13), while they practically scammed DX fans with DX:The Fall…

I'll remain stupid and preorder DX:MD.
Reasons?
DX:HR had DLC which was standalone, not gamechanger and later was integrated into Director's cut.
I loved Jensen's "I'm 24/7 on heavy drugs" english voiceover (if I didn't I'd have used japanese VO) and this is again a game about him.
I suck when it comes to hair in games. Had enough of games with bald ppl or cardboard garbage posing as a wig. After TW3 hair spectacle even without hairworks enabled, I just can't skip a game that also dared to put some effort in it.

I fear I've become so settled with the opportunistic practices of suits that I just don't really care about this anymore.

Pretty scary :(

The game is now available on Greenmangaming (and the autumn voucher works).

Back
Top Bottom