Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellio

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion

Rebellion Developments is suing Stardock Entertainment and Ironclad Games in an Eastern Michigan district court for trademark violation over the use of the word rebellion in the title of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

Rebellion is asking for damages for being "deprived of substantial sales of its products" and for "the value of its trademarks as commercial assets."
GameSpot notes: "Rebellion provided several examples where it claimed consumers would have been easily misled, including promotional materials which displayed the word 'Rebellion' much larger than the preceding 'Sins of a Solar Empire' and some that referred to the game only by the disputed trademark."
As I see it it's just another crazy trademark battle among others this year.

While were at it Star Wars Rebellion wants a word with both studios. In case no one remembers that was a rts space game from the early 2000's.

Here is the suit that was filed- https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_zz3inaULaXa2Y0bExwN3RZZ00/edit?pli=1

Last edited:
Rebellion is such a common word, especially in fiction settings, that this is just ridiculous. Also, I've never heard of this studio, indicating that most gamers wouldn't confuse them. I hope Rebellion gets a kick in the nuts and goes back to work instead of mooching off others' hard work.

Do I need to ask where in the world this is going on? ;)

Why the good ole USA were a man or in this case company can sue over anything.;)

Next wars will be about Patents, Copyrights, and Trade Marks.

Do I need to ask where in the world this is going on? ;)
So true. Why can't we spend time making laws about the amount of bend in our cucumbers like proper enlightened folk? :p

Next wars will be about Patents, Copyrights, and Trade Marks.

I seriously doubt that. There are a several much more likely factors much, such as access to resources, local or regional upheavals and destabilisation, conflicts of interest and so on. Compared to these Trade mark conflicts are peanuts.

pibbur who

So true. Why can't we spend time making laws about the amount of bend in our cucumbers like proper enlightened folk? :p

Because then others will bitch that the banana does not get the proper amount of attention, then the zucchini, and before you know it the entire produce section at your local supermarket will be involved in litigation. Salad bars would go out of business and the unemployment and crime rates would skyrocket. Is that what you want?

I seriously doubt that. There are a several much more likely factors much, such as access to resources, local or regional upheavals and destabilisation, conflicts of interest and so on. Compared to these Trade mark conflicts are peanuts.

pibbur who

Yes, of course. But my view was partly rather cynical - but in fact Patents are indeed nowadays used as "weapons".

In upcoming days the intellectual property rights like will be about Patents, Copyrights, and Trade Marks will get more importance for business incorporation.

intellectual property attorneys

Last edited:
Sometimes crap like this makes me want to go full capital "L" Libertarian. I really wonder what would happen if companies could only rely on their ability to actually perform in the marketplace.

"Market" means for some companies : "Creating a de facto monopoly or oligarchy and shutting out competors".

Back
Top Bottom