Skyrim - Preview @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has some first-hand impressions of Skyrim from E3:
So what can I tell you about it? Well, it’s The Elder Scrolls, and we all want more of that (yes, you Oblivion haters, you DO – no one is the least bit fooled by your antics). It’s a beautiful frost-bitten land, and it’s one where players need never let the main quest trouble them as they play for dozens of hours.
Of what we were shown – a trek through green fields, woods, a village, dungeons, and eventually a mountain-top dragon fight – the most exciting feature was the player’s hands. That’s not dismissive. They’re brilliant. Every single-handed weapon can be dual-wielded, meaning you can improvise your own style to some quite impressive degrees. Sword and shield combat looked especially entertaining. Holding up a shield has always been so disappointing in gaming, but here it felt like it was genuinely protective. Obscuring most your view, seeing the edge of the attacker slamming into it felt intense.
But even more entertaining is the magic. There’s all manner of magic types, from Runes to regular spells to Shouts, each of which make your hands glow an appropriate colour. Spells are assigned to hands in the same way as weapons – in fact, this can even be done from the same menu. There’s a “favourites” option, much like a web browser, that lets you opt for your preferred tools and spells to appear in a quickly accessible pop-up menu, letting you quickly assign to each hand in an on-the-fly paused moment. If such a thing isn’t a massive contradiction.
More information.

It's going to be a very long wait until November... I'd like to see the full 30 min E3 presentation. Why hold the other 15/16 minutes back from the rest of the fans??

Report on an incoming RPG:
-how good it looks
-how combat feels
-how large the game is

To be compared with the preview done by that other site seemingly dedicated to FPSs and their report written through the scope of shooters.

RPG, a genre that can no longer be assessed by its own merits.

Hmm.. I thought they previously said it was going to take advantage of DirectX 11, although I could be mistaken.

DirectX 11 support wasn't confirmed so far

DX11 and larger textures have been confirmed for the PC, as well as specific UI support (aka keyboard shortcuts).

Report on an incoming RPG:
-how good it looks
-how combat feels
-how large the game is

To be compared with the preview done by that other site seemingly dedicated to FPSs and their report written through the scope of shooters.

RPG, a genre that can no longer be assessed by its own merits.

Yeah, I kind of sighed at that. These matter to me to a lesser extent, but they are certainly not the primary things that I personally look for in an RPG.

Then again, after the whole Radiant AI bait and switch they did with their Oblivion E3 videos, I'm not sure I'd trust them even if they did cover the other aspects.

Then again, after the whole Radiant AI bait and switch they did with their Oblivion E3 videos, I'm not sure I'd trust them even if they did cover the other aspects.

Yep. Fool me once...

Cool glowy hands that sounds like just the game I've beenw aiting for. Awesome indeed.

Back
Top Bottom