Cyberpunk - New AAA RPG from CDPR

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CD Projekt Red has completed their Summer Conference, which you can watch here at the Witcher site. It's around an hour long but starting around 24 minutes in, they start discussing their new AAA RPG, which is revealed as Cyberpunk.
The announcement starts with a slide titled "Our Promise":
1. Mature RPG for mature up audiences, realistic and brutal, set in a rich, futuristic world
2. Gripping non-linear story filled with life and detail
3. Advanced RPG mechanics based on p&p RPG system
4. Varied selection of different character classes
5. Gigantic arsenal of weapons, upgrades, implants and cool high-tech toys
6. Set new standard in the futuristic RPG genre with an exceptional gaming experience
They then introduce Mike Pondsmith, author of the Cyberpunk 2020 PnP system - he references the seminal movie Bladerunner as a touchstone and talks about holding out on developing a video game based on the IP until the right company came along.
CDPR has established a new team with a number of Witcher veterans to develop the game, although it appears early in development, so it may be a while before we see more than concept art.
More information.

Woot!

Point #6 shouldn't be too hard to achieve I think, we don't get a lot of AAA futuristic RPG that aren't shooter first, RPG second.

All aaa titles disappointed me to some extent. I feel they have the wrong backlog, and make unfinished products (not because of bugs, but of design)

I feel such ease for the kickstarter projects, but hope never dies

may dishonored and this one raise the bar

First Shadowrun now Cyberpunk, awesome! :D

Daniel.

Now this is unexpected, very excited by this.

So, its The Witcher with cybernetic implants (and guns ;) ). Works for me, although I would like a bit of a less rigid structure than the Witcher 2, like I was saying…

Also, haven't heard of that particular PnP. Seems interesting…

I was a fan of the Dice & Paper game since... wow, 1989? Something like that? Anyway, it's one of my favorites. I am absolutely thrilled about this news. I can't think of a better studio to make the game than CD Projekt Red. I think they have the best chance of doing it justice.

And if you don't know anything about the game system (or genre), think Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, The Matrix, Minority Report, Total Recall. Or obviously the book Neuromancer, if you read it - it's the book that started the genre.

And this we leave fantasy era of RPG and enter Sci-Fi era !
Bout damn time :)

Anyway. I called it few months ago.

Seeing Witcher games , it was obvious that they can make killing in Sci-fi setting aswell

"for mature up audiences"

Crikey. What's after mature? Ripe?

On saturday, through a discussion about Shadowrun return, one friend wondered if players would want to play in an updated game universe as the version of the real world that led to the Shadowrun fantasy anticipation is no longer credible.

Reading the cyberpunk 2020 timeline, he clearly had a point. World has evolved in a way that destroys the anticipation take by Shadowrun and cyberpunk 2020.
Anyone starting a cyberpunk anticipation universe today would end with something very different from Shadowrun and Cyberpunk. Some real world elements that were fundamental have simply been disproven today.

I answered no. That players would want to play the game universe as it was designed back in the days, even though the anticipation bits are incredible.

Sounds almost too good to be true. I need this kind of compensation after watching Prometheus!

So many games, so little time. Never played this P&P system, but a solid foundation in a time-tested rule system and plenty of established resources is often (though not always) a good thing. Very curious of course, Witcher is my favorite recent IP, and I hope CDPR can continue on this level with this new setting.

"for mature up audiences"

Crikey. What's after mature? Ripe?

In the video he said it's "for mature grown up audiences"

I guess they left the "grown" off the card.

Daniel.

Sounds good. I just hope the "mature" part of it is more than sex cards.

I guess you'll be able to get the traditional Mr. Stud Sexual Implant, All night, every night. And she'll never know. :lol:

Daniel.

Wow, jackpot! This is exactly what I need right about now. I'll be watching this with great interest.

Looks like we are going to witness what could be remembered in distant future as "a second golden age" of RPG. I am trying to not be overly optimistic here but a lot of good news lately. This one and the recently announced Larian game seem to be particularly exciting.

Back
Top Bottom